Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What does it take?  (Read 2502 times)
AA9RN

Ignore
« on: June 03, 2012, 12:32:23 PM »

What does it take to work dx on 6m?
 I worked 11 dx stations on 6m so far. Mostly in carribean.But a few south American and a CT1.Nothing farther west than California.All with 200 watts and a Mosley TA63N.
 Now I got rid of the FTDX5000D what I think was not a great idea. Looking for a good 6m radio.Looking at the 590s.But just cant decide.Never had a problem working the dx other than the CT.Which took a few calls to get my complete call.
 Can you work europe with 100 watts from the midwest here?

Maybe have to buy a amp to work more DX.
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 01:00:14 PM »

I have worked the Canary Islands with a contact that was clearer than my cell phone at times.  I used 100W and a 6M Moxon at 15'.  When the band is open, 10W and a wet string will get contacts.  When the band is down, 1500W and a 6 element beam may not get you to the next county.  So, my thought is that it takes part skill, part equipment and a LOT of luck with propagation.
K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 09:56:03 PM »

I have worked the Canary Islands with a contact that was clearer than my cell phone at times.  I used 100W and a 6M Moxon at 15'.  When the band is open, 10W and a wet string will get contacts.  When the band is down, 1500W and a 6 element beam may not get you to the next county.  So, my thought is that it takes part skill, part equipment and a LOT of luck with propagation.

YEP!   Exactly!    They call it the "magic" band (Or the "tragic" band) For a reason.  When it opens up, it does not take much to work.   Most of the time the band is NOT "Up"

I got the lower 48 states (And a few foreign countries) with just simple antennas and 100 watts.
I am still looking for Alaska and HI, And now have a full KW and 6 el yagi, And still waiting for those right conditions)
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 11:05:01 PM »

The short answer is "propagation."

You can keep making your antenna and power bigger.  It will help.  Many big guns in this area like N3DB and K3TKJ often report 59 signals on things I can't even hear at all on a 2 el Moxon at 30 feet.

I've worked 45 countries on 6m with 100W and a 2 element Moxon.  Half a dozen of 'em are in Europe but that's about it.  An amp would have helped; I've failed to raise a number of other EU stations I could hear, and they just CQed in my face (you never really know when they call someone else, but a CQ in the face is a sure sign you need an amp)

I've heard a few cool things I never really had a chance at, like E4X who I'm sure had a hundred callers much, much stronger than me.

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
NA4IT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 04:31:43 AM »

Well, I have had fun on 6M working through my 160M dipole on PSK31.
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 02:52:00 PM »

When the band is open, I have been able to work some pretty good DX with just a little Ranger 5054 and a 6 meter home brew dipole.  Now that's the "magic" band for ya!  Smiley
KA3NXN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 01:14:55 PM »

Shoot working Europe from the Midwest with 100 watts should be a piece of cake considering that I worked into Russia and all of Europe from the East Coast with only 10 watts.

My setup is a portable FT-690 MKII with snap on 10 watt linear and a home brew 4 element quad.

Jaime-KA3NXN
K7MH

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2012, 12:34:32 PM »

What does it take to work dx on 6m?
 I worked 11 dx stations on 6m so far. Mostly in carribean.But a few south American and a CT1.Nothing farther west than California.All with 200 watts and a Mosley TA63N.
 Now I got rid of the FTDX5000D what I think was not a great idea. Looking for a good 6m radio.Looking at the 590s.But just cant decide.Never had a problem working the dx other than the CT.Which took a few calls to get my complete call.
 Can you work europe with 100 watts from the midwest here?

Maybe have to buy a amp to work more DX.

First you have to be able to hear the DX. Go for antennas. Long booms and up high.
Most rigs that have 6 meters are just fine for DXing 6. Even the old IC-551.
It can be a long time between openings and longer between new entities.
Don't expect to see F2 propagation anytime soon or DXCC on 6.
A dedicated 6 meter rig is great as you can monitor the band anytime you are in the shack.
Move as far south and east as you can. Tongue
Chant to the Sun Gods regularly!!  Grin

It ain't like 20 meters but it can be a very fun band if you catch a good opening.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: