Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flexradio Discontinues VHF/UHF Module for Flex 5000  (Read 12548 times)
K9IUQ

Ignore
« on: June 03, 2012, 04:42:51 PM »

I have been waiting a couple of days for K0OD to announce this important news. He is always quick to announce anything Flexradio. Maybe Jeff is embarrassed to announce this one..  Cheesy

This is probably the beginning of more bad news from Flexadio concerning the 5K.

From Flexradio:    http://www.mail-archive.com/flexradio%40flex-radio.biz/msg48222.html

Needless to say many Flexers are unhappy...

Stan K9IUQ
N8FNR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 06:11:51 PM »

Yeah, yeah, Flex makes the WORST radios in history according to you. In fact I bet that from your point of view that Flex makes MFJ look like mil-spec.

I know that I have been glad to learn the One Great Truth that you posess. Perhaps you could give seminars at TED next year and share your revelations with the world at large?

After reading your missives I have sold my Flex-5000 and replaced it with a Sugiyama F850 rated 1.3 on eham http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/3633.  Are you happy now? Or does everyone need to sell all of their Flex rigs then you will shut up?

It would be nice if this forum could actually be about SDRs including Flex rather than being a forum for your personal vendetta.

Why not just move on with your life? It seems as if that this is all you live for.

Geez, either go back on your meds or resume your electroshock treatments please!

Zack
N8FNR
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 03:23:17 AM »

Yeah, yeah, Flex makes the WORST radios in history according to you. In fact I bet that from your point of view that Flex makes MFJ look like mil-spec.

I know that I have been glad to learn the One Great Truth that you posess. Perhaps you could give seminars at TED next year and share your revelations with the world at large?

After reading your missives I have sold my Flex-5000 and replaced it with a Sugiyama F850 rated 1.3 on eham http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/3633.  Are you happy now? Or does everyone need to sell all of their Flex rigs then you will shut up?

It would be nice if this forum could actually be about SDRs including Flex rather than being a forum for your personal vendetta.

Why not just move on with your life? It seems as if that this is all you live for.

Geez, either go back on your meds or resume your electroshock treatments please!

Zack
N8FNR

Sounds like you are the one who needs to get back on his meds!  Calm down, Ham radio is only a hobby!

Gene
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 04:49:06 AM »

Yeah, yeah, Flex makes the WORST radios in history according to you.

It was not MY announcement, it was Flexradio that made the announcement. Chill out and repeat after me:

It is only a radio, it is only a radio....  Cheesy Cheesy

Stan K9IUQ
NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 07:10:01 AM »

Well, I think the way the landscape sits, $1400 was a bit much to add VHF/UHF anyways.  That's a whole radio for a,lot of folks so I am not sure it's that great a loss to be honest unless one was after the do it all in one box concept.

I think the 5K as a radio is still going to have some life just like all other radios.  My observation about Ham Radio so far is that it seems the majority of hams make the very most out of their equipment a d keep it for years to come.  I see just keeping my 5K like that so don't really care if PSDR goes unsupported here soon.  I am getting close to a setup that I can live with for quite some time or until someone makes something more affordable.  The 6K series is out of my budget range.

I do think though that the announcement from Flex can add to the fear that they will just abandon 5K customers.  If they were smart they would work hard to keep the 5K series alive as a current product in case they run into major problems with their 6K series.

If I were running Flex Radio I would be working hard to continue selling 5Ks and I would probably look to even find a way to redesign the VUK card and possibly make it a prep hail add on box that 3k and 1.5K users could add on as well.

Just a few thoughts as its looking a lot like eggs in one basket to me.  Even the announcement is like shooting themselves in the foot because they are implying that the 5K series is no longer a game player.  Not good for sales, and dangerous if they are living off the presages money because if something unexpected goes wrong and they delay, things could head south in a big hurry. 

K9ZW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 02:43:24 AM »

Zach

I highly recommend doing what I do - use the Ignore button on this sorry negative group.

One would hope that they care that they come across as the forum trolls.

Complaining to the eham moderator system did get a few threads locked, but it seems they are "pro troll" as it kicks up their click-ad-revenue.

Very sad as what positive input the guys might make is lost in their daily game of lurking as "forum trolls."

Just watch the negative comments they will levy against my post.

As for the VU Module it was neither a hot seller for Flex (I didn't buy one) and the low volume doesn't support a redesign around the obsolete chip.

This is simply the end of life for an accessory component that perhaps one of a hundred Flex-5000A owners ever bought and less used.  It is NOT anything more significant than that.  It is axe grinding trolls alone who are attempting to make more of Flex discontinuing a very low selling product.  They won't let facts or the company speak for itself - that wouldn't be good "troll fun."

I have enjoyed my Flex-5000A - now my main radio - over the last several years.  Enjoyed it a lot!   It has been worth every penny in enjoyment to me, period.

Reference the V/U module I never felt the need to buy this module and don't see any reason to put in an order for the "last call."

Have written occasionally about my experiences at http://k9zw.wordpress.com among all the other things that interest me out of the wide scope of amateur radio's opportunities.

Again as I wrote you privately, thank you for pointing out to the eham community that much like the emperor in the children's story having no clothes, these eham "experts" have nothing to offer beyond naked negative empty words - the words of trolls.

Steve
K9ZW

K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 04:21:14 AM »

Complaining to the eham moderator system did get a few threads locked, but it seems they are "pro troll" as it kicks up their click-ad-revenue.

The threads get locked because Flexers can NOT stop calling me names. sometimes four letter words starting with F. Why I infuriate Flexers is beyond me. I only post truths, albeit without a Flexradio bias.

eham is Pro-truth, something Flexers have a very hard time comprehending....

The ending of the Flex 5K VHF/UHF is the tip of the iceberg. The Flex 5K is history and within a year will be be as fresh as Windows XP. Flexradio will deny it, but few believe them. Even hardcore Flexers know in their hearts that as soon as the 6K radios are released, no new development for PSDR and the 5K

Stan K9IUQ
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 04:45:58 AM »

I do think though that the announcement from Flex can add to the fear that they will just abandon 5K customers.  If they were smart they would work hard to keep the 5K series alive as a current product in case they run into major problems with their 6K series.

Even the announcement is like shooting themselves in the foot because they are implying that the 5K series is no longer a game player.

Not good for sales, and dangerous if they are living off the presages money because if something unexpected goes wrong and they delay, things could head south in a big hurry.  

Finally, an intelligent response from a Flex Owner. One thing I learned from owning a Flexradio is the management of the company is very poor. The products show show forward thinking, unfortunately day to day management of the company is the pits.

Stan K9IUQ
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 04:47:39 AM by K9IUQ » Logged
KX0O

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 08:00:56 AM »

Stan,

If you aren't a troll then why do you hang out on the SDR Radio group and bash SDR's?  You don't own one, you don't like them. so why are you here?  Do you think if you went to the American Legion and started bashing veterans you would get a good response?  I know you have an axe to grind and that is fine.  Unfortunately what you know about flex is based on old software so rehashing your complaints based on past performance is null and void.  You have no experience with the present incarnations which makes your opinions meaningless.  I had you on ignore but u-nignored you to see if you were still rehashing the same thing and yes you were...sad really.

Doc
KX0O
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 08:41:21 AM »

Stan,

If you aren't a troll then why do you hang out on the SDR Radio group and bash SDR's?  You don't own one, you don't like them. so why are you here?  Do you think if you went to the American Legion and started bashing veterans you would get a good response?  I know you have an axe to grind and that is fine.  Unfortunately what you know about flex is based on old software so rehashing your complaints based on past performance is null and void.  You have no experience with the present incarnations which makes your opinions meaningless.  I had you on ignore but u-nignored you to see if you were still rehashing the same thing and yes you were...sad really.

Doc
KX0O

You don't have to currently own a SDR to have an interest in SDRs.  I have have an interest in SDRs and I like and do own several. 

I find that the Flex Faithful who treat "Flex" like some kind of cult or religion are some of the most ignorant Hams about SDR.  I see comments on the Flex list from the Flex Radio Choir commenting how "revolutionary" the new Flex 6000 series is as if Flex invented the DDC/DUC architecture.  Guess what Flexies, the DDC architecture that Flex is using in their 6000 series has been around and used in SDRs such as the QS1R, Perseus, and RF Space radios for YEARS now.  Flex has been behind the times clinging to its horse-and-buggy QSD architecture for far too long now.  Flex is a LATE adopter in this architecture.

The people who claim to "ignore" us detractors of Flex's business practices, but still somehow manage to respond, is just too funny.  They are not fooling anyone (and they do not have us on ignore either).  Roll Eyes

Gene
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2012, 08:52:49 AM »

Stan,
If you aren't a troll then why do you hang out on the SDR Radio group and bash SDR's?  

I had you on ignore but u-nignored you to see if you were still rehashing the same thing
KX0O

I wish I had a dollar for every time some Flexer said they had me on ignore and then continued to call me names.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

I can hang out on eham wherever I wish, my opinion is just as valuable as yours. SDR was and is an interest of mine. If my opinions on Flexradio offend you, read the Flexradio reflectors instead.You will not find much offensive there. Wink

This thread subject WAS Flexradio discontinues the VHF/UHF module yet- you and your Flexer friends want to make it about me. Go read the second post of this thread, completely off subject and attacking me. All I did was post news of a Flexradio announcement, yet I get attacked personally.

Discuss the threads subject in an intelligent and reasonable non-name calling manner and you may find me quite quite tolerable...

Stan K9IUQ

« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 09:07:09 AM by K9IUQ » Logged
KX0O

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2012, 09:08:58 AM »

I own a QS1R so and hence understand the tech isnt new. What is new is a full fledged transceiver with two receive paths.  It is exciting to me the way they have done it.  If it isnt exciting to you so be it.  I think it is interesting the way you generalize and try to bunch everyone into the same group as a means of attempting to insult them within the bounds of the eham rules.

I truly dont understand what you guys are doing on here just bashing Flex.  They you buddy up and pounce on anyone that makes a comment.  Bullying everyone that comes in here to discuss things.  I have my suspicions as to why but will keep my medical opinion to myself.  Have a good day gentleman.

I would like this to be a placve where people can have intelligent discussions about SDR.  Unfortunately you guys ruin the whole spirit of discussion by rehashing all the same old same old.  If that is your goal then you are succeeding.
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2012, 09:48:31 AM »

I have my suspicions as to why but will keep my medical opinion to myself. 

Yes keep your medical views to yourself, this is the SDR Forum, anyway - -
As a patient I find most Doctors these days are merely pill pushers and there is a very good reason Doctors have to Practice   Cheesy

So lets cut the crap Doctor and tell us your views on the VHF/UHF Topic and stop trying to change the subject....

Stan K9IUQ
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2012, 10:12:05 AM »

I would like this to be a placve where people can have intelligent discussions about SDR.  Unfortunately you guys ruin the whole spirit of discussion by rehashing all the same old same old.  If that is your goal then you are succeeding.

How about just sticking to the subject of the original post instead of you turning it into an opportunity for you to bash anyone who does not swallow the Flex cool-aid?   Your posts seem to consist of only two subjects in the SDR forum. The first is posting news which you consider positive to Flex from the Flex mailing list.  The second is bashing guys who post things you consider to be negative about Flex radios.  

A perfect example is the subject of this thread.  It is news from the Flex mailing list, but since it is embarrassing news for Flex, you have a fit here by calling names and implying things about medical issues.   You only want to read or post news from the Flex mailing list that paints Flex in a good light.  Too bad, there is both good and bad here.  Stick to the Flex mailing list if you only want to hear cult like praise.  No radio or company is perfect.  

Why does it bother some guys so much when you point out the negatives for discussion?

Gene

« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 10:15:39 AM by KE5JPP » Logged
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2012, 11:54:32 AM »

How about just sticking to the subject of the original post instead of you turning it into an opportunity for you to bash anyone who does not swallow the Flex cool-aid?  

Yes, let us do just that. What is the real reason Flexradio is discontinuing the VHF/UHF module? Is it because of an obsolete part. I hardly believe that one. After all the VHF/UHF module has only been in production a year and a half. Is it because of poor sales? That I could believe. At $1500 it is pretty pricey and few hams will spend that kind of $$ on VHF/UHF.

Maybe it is because The 5K itself is soon destined to become discontinued. Every one knows about the Firewire decline. Computers do not have Firewire ports any longer and worse The Flex 5K will not work just any Firewire card. It requires a card with certain chipsets . Maybe that chipset is going bye bye. What then? How do they sell radios without a workable interface? This of course is all speculation, but something is definitely is on the horizon for the 5K and it is not looking good.

Stan K9IUQ
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: