Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flexradio Discontinues VHF/UHF Module for Flex 5000  (Read 13399 times)
N9RO

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2012, 01:33:46 PM »

Do you enjoy Dodge Ball?  If so, start following the Flex reflectors and see the dance being done as now more and more technical questions are appearing regarding the new series and why they sold a product (VU) with such a short life.

Tim - N9RO

Real techies don't use knobs.
KX0O

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2012, 02:16:57 PM »

Probably discontinued due to an obsolete part but while we are on the topic.. i think it was a bad idea at the outset unless it was much cheaper...  it is too expensive, not popular.  It did turn out to be the head in class although for the price it didnt make sense.  It also didnt make sense in my opinion to tie up your HF rig with VHF/UHF.  So for a very small niche weak signal guys/ssb it may make sense but certainly makes no sense for local repeaters (an order of magnitude too expensive).   I am sure if it were more popular they would have redesigned it.  I also have a sense that they may release a standalone V/U DUC rig that is very cheap.  If only FM maybe less than $200 and if SSB also maybe around $1000.  That is just pure wild speculation.

Doc
WD5GWY

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2012, 05:26:50 PM »

Seems like I read on one of the reflectors or their Facebook page, that there are people using other VHF/UHF transverters and not having any problems. And also, they did state in one of their posts (Flex rep) that the reason was because a critical part of the transverter was being discontinued by the manufacturer. And that they were unable to source a replacement. BUT, they said that they did have a decent stock of replacement parts for repairs and also, had a few transverters still available. ($1200 or so).
james
WD5GWY
N6DMR

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2012, 10:35:13 PM »

I too used the ignore button on the Flex basher, the forum is much better without all the negativity and anti-Flex bias.  Poor guy, he spent a bunch of money on a Flex 5K, posted great reviews on it and then gave up just as the radios got fine tuned to success.  Must be frustrating to face the regret of bailing out too soon..... so the revenge trip starts just to try and drive others to make the same mistake.  I guess it's true misery wants company.
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2012, 04:57:37 AM »

I too used the ignore button on the Flex basher, the forum is much better without all the negativity and anti-Flex bias. 

For sure the the discontinuation of the VHF/UHF module is negative. It shows what direction Flexradio is going. Down.

The negativity did not come from me, it came from Flexradio. As is usual, the Flexers bash the messenger instead of talking about the message....

Stan K9IUQ
NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2012, 07:23:03 AM »

The funny thing about using my Flex radio is the more I use it, the more I understand some of the criticism of the rig.  

For example, the two hours I spent late Saturday night to reset up PSDR from scratch again because it lost all it's settings, the backup was corrupted, and the radio database was corrupted and had to be reset.

As I always say, the truth in all this usually sits between the extremes.  It is stuff like that though that wears on an end user when they have done their part to back things up.  Fortunately I had recently captured all my settings In a ms word document and was able to put humpty dumpty back together again.  Having to do it all from sratch again made me realize how quirky some things are as well.

Any ways, it's the law of how things work, the more troubles you run into the more real the overall picture some have painted becomes.

Lol, and true to its form, after I got it all work, got on the air, ect and shut PSDR down and then restarted it to see if it all was still there, it lost my antenna settings again.

When it all works it's great, when it doesn't it sucks!  I can say with some confidence at this point that I won't subscribe to either camp.  Flex radios are flawed like most other rigs, they have real issues and yes there are solutions for most except for like what happened Saturday night.  Then it's just spending two hours of your life redoing something you have already invested the time in doing once before and no good reason or explanation as to why it happened.  I am sure it's my fault though and that I failed to do something when I was supposed to.  Smiley

Maybe that uncle Rob came over and played with my radio while I was out to dinner.  Lol

One more thing before I finish up, I too got caught up in a battle here with a few people and critized them for being on record liking the radio and then not liking it.  It takes more integrity to come out and say you changed your mind about something after having more experience with it than it ever will to hide behind ones pride.  That in part is what I see with these radios.  They are soo cool when you get them, and then the coolness wears off and you get back to just wanting a radio that works without issues.  There's nothing wrong in all that or liking it and then not liking it.  Keep in mind that there will come a point when most hams will lust after a new radio and not be so happy with their older radio.  When we hide behind our pride we do a great disservice to other hams who might like to know about the warts on a particular product before they buy it.  To misrepresent the truth when we know it to be otherwise definitely lacks integrity.  

I hope everyone will reserve the right to change their views and share them should the occasion arise!  That's integrity!  That's how we survive as a band of hams!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 08:00:36 AM by NI0Z » Logged

K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2012, 09:15:30 AM »

For example, the two hours I spent late Saturday night to reset up PSDR from scratch again because it lost all it's settings, the backup was corrupted, and the radio database was corrupted and had to be reset.

Wink I spent Saturday at our lake home in NW Wi playing radio on Field Day. I use a Icom 7000 for my vacation radio. As usual it worked flawlessly making several hundred contacts on SSB and CW. I used my laptop for N1MM logger with rig control and my Winkeyer. I lost no settings, did not have a database to reset. I was not frustrated. This knobbed radio setup works flawlessly. Never once did I have to worry about "losing Focus".

Gosh the "frustrating to face the regret of bailing out too soon." just does not happen.  Cheesy Cheesy

In Fact I have been quite happy using knobbed radios again. Hamming is fun...

Stan K9IUQ
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2012, 09:24:59 AM »

In Fact I have been quite happy using knobbed radios again. Hamming is fun...

Stan K9IUQ

I am having a great time using the TS-590s I just picked up a few weeks ago.   Very nice radio, no worries about losing settings, etc...  When I miss a panadapter, I just turn on my QS1R which is connected to the TS-590s and I have point and click tuning.  I certainly don't miss my Flex-5000a and all the fiddling that comes with keeping it running.  Ergonomics of the TS-590s is much better than my K3.  Side by side I prefer the TS-590s over the K3.  You sure can't beat the price for performance with the TS-590s.

Gene
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2012, 11:20:33 AM »

I am having a great time using the TS-590s I just picked up a few weeks ago.  K3.  Side by side I prefer the TS-590s over the K3.  You sure can't beat the price for performance with the TS-590s.
Gene

Maybe a little off topic, but that is certainly interesting. Especially since I gave you the thumbs up for the TS-590s. I have owned mine since I sold the Flex 5K last year.

IMO the best thing about the TS-590s is it does not get in the way of operating and having fun. It just works and works pretty good at that. With my Flexradio 5K I was always fiddling with something trying to get it to work right. I spent more time fiddling with the 5K then I did operating. Screwing with the radio became the focal point of my hamming.

Stan K9IUQ
KZ4USA

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2012, 08:03:03 PM »

I would take a IC9100 over the vhf Flex anyway.
KZ4USA

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2012, 08:08:34 PM »

Face it computer radios drop in value like a ROCK.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: