Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 6m antenna in an attic  (Read 2279 times)
AD9DX

Ignore
« on: June 03, 2012, 07:08:19 PM »

So I have been using my 160m windom for my meager 6m activity.  I have homeowners restrictions, save the speech, and want to put a small beam in my attic like the cushcraft CSH-A503S.  I am wondering how much advantage I would get with the beam compared to the windom.  Thanks, 

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
KQ6Q

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 01:04:08 PM »

How high is your windom, and would the beam you attic be higher than the windom? Would you be able to rotate the beam (how big is your attic? How tall?) if enough vertical room in your attic, you might put in phased omnidircectional loops for 6m. A big variable is your geographic situation - on a ridgeline, in a valley ? if on the flat, do you have a good shot at the horizon in at least some directions ?
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 02:44:07 PM »

A 6m beam looks quite similar to a TV antenna.  A friend of mine was able to get one up on his roof, and his HOA did not make an issue over it.
AF4XK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 03:25:51 PM »

I'm just getting into 6 meters myself.

I was using a bent dipole of about 40 meter resonant length at about 30 feet.... very poor on 6... most of the antenna is outside.
So a couple of week ago i put up a 6 meter vertical in the attic. I've made several contacts with it and A/B it beats the long dipole every time by several S units (worked puerto rico with it).

Next I'm going to build a 6 meter moxon (in attic) which will give almost as much directional gain as a 3 element yagi.
They seem very easy to build:   http://www.moxonantennaproject.com/

If I see improvement there I may try a 4 element yagi if i can fit it in.

if i were you i wouldn't mess with it unless it could be rotated... try the vertical or a loop.

People have done a lot on 6 with attic antennas:

http://forums.qrz.com/archive/index.php/t-342302.html
http://forums.qrz.com/archive/index.php/t-222077.html
http://n1lf.blogspot.com/2008_06_01_archive.html

good luck.
chuck
af4xk
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 05:48:20 PM »

How high is your windom, and would the beam you attic be higher than the windom? Would you be able to rotate the beam (how big is your attic? How tall?) if enough vertical room in your attic, you might put in phased omnidircectional loops for 6m. A big variable is your geographic situation - on a ridgeline, in a valley ? if on the flat, do you have a good shot at the horizon in at least some directions ?

The windom is 20' in the air give or take. The attic should be able to support the 3ele beam and allow 360* of rotation. The attic is probably 7' taller than the windom. I am not sure about the 6m loops I would need to see the dimensions. As far as geography, I live in northern IN, it is as flat as a bored. I can see to the horizon all but east from the attic.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 03:58:19 PM »

Unless your house construction materials are very RF unfriendly, the 3L beam in the attic should clobber the 160m OCFD antenna.

I'd expect the difference to be huge.
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 05:22:45 PM »

.... it is as flat as a bored.

Bored = "As in not interesting"
Board = "Flat piece of dried tree"

Sorry but could not help myself  Grin

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2012, 06:48:22 PM »

The windom is 20' in the air give or take. The attic should be able to support the 3ele beam and allow 360* of rotation. The attic is probably 7' taller than the windom. I am not sure about the 6m loops I would need to see the dimensions. As far as geography, I live in northern IN, it is as flat as a bored. I can see to the horizon all but east from the attic.

BTW everybody can see to the horizon.  The horizon is defined as, as far as you can see.

The important thing is how far away the horizon is.

My horizon here is 6-7 miles in some obstructed (by mountains) directions, and 40-50 miles in some other (unobstructed) directions.

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 05:12:07 AM »

I would go with the beam.  Even with the enclosed space, you should be able to rotate it to take advantage of its gain factor and still cover most of the compass rose.

The other advantage is that in an enclosed space, you can get a cheap rotor to do the job--and its gearing shouldn't strip because of the influence of strong winds.

Added--Last field day, my club had a good six meter station going, with a three element beam only twenty feet up.  Of course, the band was open those days, but we were reaching all up and down the east coast from SE Massachusetts--even to Georgia and Florida.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 05:14:17 AM by K1CJS » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: