Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FCC petition to void antenna restrictions nears 3000 signatures  (Read 22683 times)
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2012, 05:05:45 AM »

He doesn't have to understand the issue. He's got enough money to purchase a second property 20 miles away without restrictions and set up a remote base operation. If you don't have the money to do that, why should he be concerned. If you can't get on the air that just means less QRM for him. Grin

I purchased my house 25 years ago and have no HOA. My tower has been up for 25 years now. I signed the petition because antenna restrictions that limit other hams are bad for ham radio in general. In that respect, antenna restrictions do affect me personally. Think of the young kids today who can't even get into SWL because they can't string up a wire outside their house.

I'm not saying that every lot should have the right to a stack of Yagis on a 100-foot tower. A simple wire dipole or a vertical in the back yard should be accomodated however.

KF7CG

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2012, 06:39:48 AM »

The report to Congress on this subject from the FCC has come out and they say CC&Rs and HOA bylaws are not that damaging Hams can always move or use remotes or other work arounds. Hence no problem.

Just wait until their is a emergency that disrupts transport and local communications, all the areas that have prohibitted Ham participation with CC&Rs will find themselves on their own until transport improves to the extent that outside help can get in; while those that have encouraged Ham residents with lower restrictions will have the communications.

Not by vindictiveness, collusion, or other unsavory means, just the nature of the beast. If no transport, and no Hams the no Ham emergency communications until transport improves.

KF7CG
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2012, 08:25:57 AM »

Just wait until their is a emergency that disrupts transport and local communications, all the areas that have prohibitted Ham participation with CC&Rs will find themselves on their own until transport improves to the extent that outside help can get in; while those that have encouraged Ham residents with lower restrictions will have the communications.

KF7CG

I am putting in a new Furnace for winter, and while the City Permit inspector was here he saw my vertical, asked if I were a Ham, and when I answered  yes, he said: "We need you guys for when there is an emergency"!  Was nice to hear for a change...  Seems that the PR is working...

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
WA2ONH

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2012, 08:49:48 AM »

The FCC has released its report:

LINK: http://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Daily_Business/2012/db0820/DA-12-1342A1.pdf

SHORT ANSWER:  NO RELIEF from CC&Rs is found in this wording ...

" ..... Moreover, while commenters suggest that private land use restrictions have become more common, our review of the record does not indicate that amateur operators are unable to find homes that are not subject to such restrictions. Therefore, at this time, we do not see a compelling reason for the Commission to revisit its previous determinations that preemption should not be expanded to CC&Rs. .... "

Where you expecting something different?

73 de WA2ONH   ...Charlie
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"No time is ever wasted that is spent LEARNING something!"
MISTAKES are proof that you are TRYING
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2012, 10:01:14 AM »

Reading some of the comments on this forum is really a bit sad.
The fellow that commented that people opposed to Antenna Restrictions were "HOA haters" really does not understand the issue.
In my past, I worked with my neighbors to create an HOA to address a serious drainage problem in our neighborhood. 
During the next few years, I was President of an association of around 20 neighborhood HOAs in our county.   
No doubt, there are many good HOAs around today, but too often, HOAs have abused their authority, and as a result, many state legislatures have passed laws to limit HOA authority.   In High School Civics, I was taught that one persons freedom ends where another persons freedom begins.   That saying seems to have lost all meaning in today's HOAs.   It is almost impossible to buy a home built in the last 10 or 15 years that does not have antenna restrictions in the CC&R.  That is reality.  Often life, jobs, and family, determines where we live, and we don't always have a choice of where we live.  When I got my ham license years ago, Morse code was a requirement.  Now, the FCC has added a new requirement.   If you want a ham license, you have to pass a rigorous FCC exam, and then you have to sell your home and move somewhere where you can use your license.  Unless something is done to correct this situation,  becoming a ham is not going to be a real option for a large number of people.  Unless something is done to correct this situation, I don't see how Amateur Radio can survive in the future.   The FCC position on this issue seems to me to be extremely unrealistic, and will do Amateur Radio considerable damage.

It took an act of Congress to make the OTARD rule happen.  Another act of Congress can create circumvention of land use restrictions regarding amateur radio antennas.

I'd be writing my representatives...actually, I've already done that, and my 27th Congressional District rep has already called me back to discuss this.  If half the hams complaining about restrictions did the same thing, that would be a lot of phone calls.  Something might result.

Without making those tens of thousands of calls, probably nothing will.
N4UM

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2012, 11:09:38 AM »

Clearly the FCC knew in advance what their recommendations would be.  Their recommendations bore no relationship to the data (the formal comments) they requested and received. They could have written the same report many months ago without "going thru the motions" of collecting data they chose to ignore.

It would appear that we should be focusing our attention on congress rather than the FCC at the present time.  Write your congressmen if you have not already done so.  They are the ones who will be deciding the issue...not the FCC.

If you have not completed the online survey mentioned in many previous posts, please do so quickly.  The survey results are now going to congress.
AC7DX

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2012, 01:45:18 PM »

He doesn't have to understand the issue. He's got enough money to purchase a second property 20 miles away without restrictions and set up a remote base operation. If you don't have the money to do that, why should he be concerned. If you can't get on the air that just means less QRM for him. Grin

I purchased my house 25 years ago and have no HOA. My tower has been up for 25 years now. I signed the petition because antenna restrictions that limit other hams are bad for ham radio in general. In that respect, antenna restrictions do affect me personally. Think of the young kids today who can't even get into SWL because they can't string up a wire outside their house.

I'm not saying that every lot should have the right to a stack of Yagis on a 100-foot tower. A simple wire dipole or a vertical in the back yard should be accomodated however.

So if we have say 5 million homes free of HOA and 6,000 under HOA..Some person is forced to live in a HOA? Get real....
There are Remotes all over the USA you can use..there is such a thing called "Mobile" if you live in a HOA..USE IT!! Stop whining N4UM....
Dot marry a fat wife if you want a slim one. Dont move into a HOA if you cant abide by the rules..you wont be welcome.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 02:12:56 PM by AC7DX » Logged
NN4RH

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2012, 04:35:24 PM »

Not at all. Hams are supposedly resourceful. I would assume that any HOA ham who is committed to emergency communications will have plans in place and the hardware in place to put up a temporary antenna. Or just go out  to their cars and use their mobile FM rigs.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2012, 04:41:37 PM »

"if we have say 5 million homes free of HOA and 6,000 under HOA"

What country do you live in? Only 0.12% of the homes are under HOA? Come on now.

AC7DX

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2012, 08:01:48 PM »

"if we have say 5 million homes free of HOA and 6,000 under HOA"

What country do you live in? Only 0.12% of the homes are under HOA? Come on now.

You made the point better than I...very few homes are under HOA  so lets stop the BS about not having any place to buy that isnt HOA as some people have said.
CC&Rs do not have to be broken by a few AH's that want to use the excuse to have an antenna after they moved into a HOA.
KG4WXP

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2012, 03:14:22 AM »

I do live in a condo, I have #1 DXCC, 8band DXCC. all from my condo.I use a remote..there are many out there..it all counts..Mine just happens to be my own set up 20 miles away on my other property
The FCC will not alter the laws just to suit you HOA haters...sorry..It aint gonna happen

Yes, because all hams can afford that 'other property', like yourself. I guess that 9 year old ham that got forced into taking all of his antennas down by his parents HOA should follow your genius strategy? How would you, in all of your wisdom, advise him to rectify the situation?

'Hoa Haters'?

I guess that's your phrase for 'people with common sense', eh?
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2012, 04:56:21 AM »

AC7DX: According to one survey I found on the Internet, over 750 million homeowners now live under control of an HOA. Your assertion that a very small percentage (less than 1% according to you) of residential properties is under HOA control is totally unfounded.

My point is that for a variety of reasons, everybody does not have a reasonable option of renting or purchasing a property that is not controlled by an HOA so he can put up a ham antenna.

K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2012, 06:11:41 AM »

AC7DX: According to one survey I found on the Internet, over 750 million homeowners now live under control of an HOA.

Huh   That's over twice the population of the U.S.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2012, 06:26:00 AM »

Yes, that number is obviously wrong. According to WebPedia, The Community Associations Institute trade association estimated that HOAs governed 24.8 million American homes and 62 million residents in 2010. I expect the original number was perhaps 75 million rather than 750.

The number is not shrinking either. I notice that CA law now allows HOAs to foreclose on homes where the HOA assessment is more than $1200.
N4UM

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2012, 08:17:44 AM »

AC7DX Quote "Stop whining N4UM....Dot (sic) marry a fat wife if you want a slim one. Dont (sic)move into a HOA if you cant (sic) abide by the rules..you wont (sic) be welcome."

I certainly am NOT whining and my wife is NOT fat! I DO abide by the rules of my HOA but I'd like to see those rules changed.  What's wrong with that?  What's it to you?  I am doing my best to bring about a change that I think is important for many individuals and I am doing it legally and with the means at my disposal.  I don't think my behavior qualifies as whining.  Yours, on the other hand...

Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: