Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FCC petition to void antenna restrictions nears 3000 signatures  (Read 22091 times)
N4UM

Ignore
« on: June 04, 2012, 09:26:28 AM »

The online petition asking the FCC to void existing restrictions by developers and HOAs and requesting that "reasonable accomodations" be made is closing in on 3000 signatures.  Please check the petition out by clicking on the link listed below and consider signing if you haven't done so already.

http://www.change.org/petitions/federal-communications-commission-void-antenna-restrictions-by-homeowner-s-associations-and-developers
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 02:35:50 PM »

It's 3096 now. Keep it up.
N4UM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 08:58:06 AM »

The petition had 3115 signatures as of about noon EDST today ( Wednesday 6/13/12).  Many of the signers included informal comments when signing.  As of this moment there have been 200 formal comments filed with the FCC on the matter.
AB4ZT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 04:10:21 PM »

I have signed the petition.  Keep in mind though that the mission of the FCC is not to act on plebiscites but to enforce laws passed by Congress. That said, if enough persons sign it may encourage the FCC to examine their mandate regarding wireless communications and conclude that HOA restrictions represent an unlawful usurpation of that mandate.

Richard
N4UM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 04:21:13 PM »

I have signed the petition.  Keep in mind though that the mission of the FCC is not to act on plebiscites but to enforce laws passed by Congress. That said, if enough persons sign it may encourage the FCC to examine their mandate regarding wireless communications and conclude that HOA restrictions represent an unlawful usurpation of that mandate.

Richard

I realize that the policy of the FCC is not to respond to petitions but, like you, I hope that if we get enough signatures the FCC will review their position on HOA restrictions.  More importantly, I hope that the congress will come to realize that a significant number of amateurs feel the HOA restrictions are hurting the service and its potential for assisting in times of disaster. Thanks for signing.
AC7DX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 08:49:36 PM »

The online petition asking the FCC to void existing restrictions by developers and HOAs and requesting that "reasonable accomodations" be made is closing in on 3000 signatures.  Please check the petition out by clicking on the link listed below and consider signing if you haven't done so already.

http://www.change.org/petitions/federal-communications-commission-void-antenna-restrictions-by-homeowner-s-associations-and-developers

It aint gonna happen!!
HOA contracts are private and binding as they found out in Illinois.
Theres enough hams to take care of all emergencies that dont live in condos..Bet there is less than 1,000 hams restricted that want to be on the air...1,000 that didnt read the rules
W5WSS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2012, 10:52:48 PM »

AC7DX I have noticed that your opinion is that ham operators should purchase private homes single family dwellings minus CC&R's,HOA's etc you have stated it consistently for awhile and that is fine.
 Not everyone can do as you suggest however, for numerous reasons.
It boils down to reasonable accommodations.
An Hf multi band ground mounted vertical including radials should be considered reasonable! regards.

KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2012, 08:17:10 AM »

It aint gonna happen!!
HOA contracts are private and binding as they found out in Illinois.
Theres enough hams to take care of all emergencies that dont live in condos..Bet there is less than 1,000 hams restricted that want to be on the air...1,000 that didnt read the rules

Gee, I want to thank you for trying to eliminate me from helping in an emergency from my home. I'd also like to thank you for using your research skills which have proved that " there is less than 1,000 hams restricted that want to be on the air". Could you share your process?

.. and in case you didn't get it... the above is sarcasm.

I do agree that neighborhood aesthetics should be preserved. I also believe that there should be reasonable accommodations for antennas, especially since emergency communications is a large reason why we have our privileges.

Should I be allowed to erect a 40' tower with multi-band beams outside my condo window? No. Should I be allowed to put a 10' piece of PVC nicely painted next to my front or back porch support. I think so. Should people be allowed to put 3'-4' loops, or hamsticks, or vertical helically wound antennas on their condo porches? I think so. Should people be allowed to erect 20'-40' verticals in their yards? I think so, especially if they can be somewhat camouflaged.

Reasonable accommodations... reasonable.

Rick KK4GGL
N4UM

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 04:20:03 PM »

The end date for the online petition has been extended until August since the FCC study is not due in Congress until then.  In addition the petition is also going to selected members of the appropriate committees in Congress that will be reviewing the FCC study.

The petition is closing in on 3300 signatures.
WA4YBC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2012, 07:13:17 PM »

Today is Friday, August 17, 2012.   Where is the FCC Report to Congress regarding Amateur Radio Antenna Restrictions Huh
I have google'd repeatedly and found nothing.
Thanks,
Jim
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2012, 03:37:13 PM »

I hope that if we get enough signatures the FCC will review their position on HOA restrictions. 

HOA restrictions are not the FCC's position.  They didn't impose any HOA restrictions, nor to they have the power to preempt them.  That's up to Congress.  Good luck convincing them they need to make a fundamental change to private property contracts to accommodate a hobby pursued by a quarter of a percent of their constituents.   A demographic that has neither an influential lobby nor any source of payola.  You're sure not going to sell it on actual results.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM

N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2012, 06:33:04 AM »

I hope that if we get enough signatures the FCC will review their position on HOA restrictions. 

HOA restrictions are not the FCC's position.  They didn't impose any HOA restrictions, nor to they have the power to preempt them.  That's up to Congress.  Good luck convincing them they need to make a fundamental change to private property contracts to accommodate a hobby pursued by a quarter of a percent of their constituents.   A demographic that has neither an influential lobby nor any source of payola.  You're sure not going to sell it on actual results.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM

There are 700,000 plus licensed hams. 3,000 signatures is a putrid response. Especially since this has been up there for a while, and you have things like Facebook, etc.

If you want to make some noise, you are going to need at least 50%.

N4UM

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2012, 09:53:18 AM »

Go to FCC.gov and check out the "Daily Digest" page.  When the report is published it will show up on the Daily Digest page.  I was told this by someone at the FCC.  The page is supposed to be updated on weekdays at about 1:30 PM.

I would think it should have been published by now. 
AC7DX

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2012, 01:58:40 PM »

AC7DX I have noticed that your opinion is that ham operators should purchase private homes single family dwellings minus CC&R's,HOA's etc you have stated it consistently for awhile and that is fine.
 Not everyone can do as you suggest however, for numerous reasons.
It boils down to reasonable accommodations.
An Hf multi band ground mounted vertical including radials should be considered reasonable! regards.

I do live in a condo, I have #1 DXCC, 8band DXCC. all from my condo.I use a remote..there are many out there..it all counts..Mine just happens to be my own set up 20 miles away on my other property
The FCC will not alter the laws just to suit you HOA haters...sorry..It aint gonna happen
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 02:04:40 PM by AC7DX » Logged
WA4YBC

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2012, 04:10:41 AM »

Reading some of the comments on this forum is really a bit sad.
The fellow that commented that people opposed to Antenna Restrictions were "HOA haters" really does not understand the issue.
In my past, I worked with my neighbors to create an HOA to address a serious drainage problem in our neighborhood. 
During the next few years, I was President of an association of around 20 neighborhood HOAs in our county.   
No doubt, there are many good HOAs around today, but too often, HOAs have abused their authority, and as a result, many state legislatures have passed laws to limit HOA authority.   In High School Civics, I was taught that one persons freedom ends where another persons freedom begins.   That saying seems to have lost all meaning in today's HOAs.   It is almost impossible to buy a home built in the last 10 or 15 years that does not have antenna restrictions in the CC&R.  That is reality.  Often life, jobs, and family, determines where we live, and we don't always have a choice of where we live.  When I got my ham license years ago, Morse code was a requirement.  Now, the FCC has added a new requirement.   If you want a ham license, you have to pass a rigorous FCC exam, and then you have to sell your home and move somewhere where you can use your license.  Unless something is done to correct this situation,  becoming a ham is not going to be a real option for a large number of people.  Unless something is done to correct this situation, I don't see how Amateur Radio can survive in the future.   The FCC position on this issue seems to me to be extremely unrealistic, and will do Amateur Radio considerable damage.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: