Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I am about ready to throw my 2 meter station in the garbage!  (Read 12257 times)
KC9VFO

Ignore
« on: June 04, 2012, 03:51:15 PM »

I have been calling CQ on 144.200 in all headings for the last 11 hrs and only made one contact, this sucks!
W4JST

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 03:54:56 PM »

What is your setup?

Join the chat on on4kst.org and check out the region 2 144 & 432 chat. There's plenty of people on willing to make a contact. KA1ZE coordinates a net on there every morning on 144.205.

Also, the VHF contest is coming up this weekend, you should hear plenty then depending on your setup and location.
KC9VFO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 03:58:02 PM »

I have a modest setup,I am running a Kenwood TS700sp with a small amp. maybe 80-100 watts with stacked 4 elements only 30ft. I made one contact from Peoria around 230 miles away, thats it all day. Sad
WA4NJY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 04:40:36 PM »

Have you used DX-Sherlock to check for band openings?  VHF is just like fishing you have to hit it at the right time for DX.

Be patient.

Ed
KC9VFO

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 04:53:41 PM »

I hear ya WA4NJY, but 2meter activity is really sad, I am a new ham and really trying to participate in the ill fated VHf, trying really hard.Sad I will check out the site you linked..
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 05:01:14 PM »

Sadly many think 2m SSB is pretty cool but really not much activity on that mode. You are kinda light in antenna and its height too. (stacked 11 element beams at 60ft would make a big difference at times) I would suggest that you monitor 2m FM and listen for when distant repeaters booming in with air mass bending from inversions or weather fronts and then try SSB.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
KC9VFO

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 06:16:47 PM »

Nah, Repeaters are  a bore, I am a ssb man, I know I am lacking in height but I have been only licensed since January and already have a fair ssb station, improvements will keep coming.Smiley just letting out steam..
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 07:06:03 PM »

Nah, Repeaters are  a bore, I am a ssb man, I know I am lacking in height but I have been only licensed since January and already have a fair ssb station, improvements will keep coming.Smiley just letting out steam..

Not saying use distant repeaters to talk but rather as a beacon for extended range propagation.

All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 09:02:55 PM »

Activity has really dropped of on 2 mtrs in this area in the past few decades.
I'd suggest you wait for the June VHF contest--that will give you a good feel for what
you can work with your station.

Pete
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2012, 09:52:40 PM »

hi,

VHF QSO Party this weekend

http://www.arrl.org/june-vhf-qso-party

WI nets

http://www.wi-aresraces.org/w9ixg/winets.txt

73 james
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 09:54:34 PM by KE4DRN » Logged
KC9VFO

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2012, 12:47:00 AM »

Yea, I am looking forward to the VHF party this weekend but unfortunately I have to work Sat-Mon but I will be monitoring a little after work. 12 hr work days prohibit any serious participation but still looking forward to hearing some activity.
NA4IT

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2012, 04:36:51 AM »

Well, have you thought about upgrading to General or Extra?
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2012, 06:34:30 AM »

Well, have you thought about upgrading to General or Extra?

Or you could just try 6 meters as you will find a lot more activity there when band opens and world wide contacts are possible at sun spot peak years.

AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2012, 09:40:46 AM »

If you like SSB and you want to make lots of contacts and work a good deal of DX using a minimal antenna system then 20M is the place to be. SSB activity is very limited on 2M and just about as bad on 6M except for the occassions when there is a band opening. Unless you have a very good antenna on a 60 foot tower or are situated at a very high location you will have a very limited number of contacts on 2M or 6M except for the occassion when there is a band opening. On 20M you will have thousands of stations to choose from all around the world on a routine basis using a 33-foot long wire dipole strung between a couple of trees at 30 foot height. Add 40M for night time activity.

KO1D

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2012, 09:52:26 AM »

Here are some great ideas to maximize 2m SSB:

1) Build a bigger antenna. Not being nasty because 4 ele under proper conditions is a good antenna, but more gain helps. I will say 4 ele with 25 w I worked from FN10 to FN42 one morning during a VHF contest. Antenna was about 20ft off the ground on the back of my house. I am only up 400 ft and have plenty of 600-1500 ft or higher hills on that path.

2) Find out who the regional V/U/SHF clubs are in that part of the country and take part in their activity nights. Seems there may well be some great opportunities.

3) APRS is your friend. There is a program that uses the APRS network as a beacon network on 2M and shows maps of contacts. Gives you an idea of conditions.

4) Weather Channel is your friend. Weather patterns have a huge impact on V/U/SHF activity. Watch for strong frontal systems, fog, etc to make use of those openings.

5) As others noted, Contests! You may miss June but in July is WPX VHF from CQ Magazine and September and then January VHF.

6) Start a net! If all else fails and you cannot find a party make your own party and advertise it everywhere.

That being said 2m SSB is a slog. Not because its as complicated and difficult as say 3.5 GHz were there are very few folks and very expensive gear requirements, but rather people are too lazy to get off repeaters and enjoy some serious SSB. When it opens, much as 6m opening, look out and put on a seat belt because its a lot of fun.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: