Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Getting a FTM-350AR, thoughts for perfect antenna!!  (Read 3647 times)
KC9WEK

Ignore
« on: June 06, 2012, 10:35:59 AM »

Im new to Ham, I am getting a Yaesu-FTM-350AR for my truck. Since it can receive other freqs than the main dual bands for which I purchased it for, what would be the right antenna to TX on the 2m/70cm plus still RX the 800?
Thanks
K6LCS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 09:20:28 AM »

Just think of the main op bands for your antenna - and leave the scanning of the "outside" bands out of the equation. Unless you want to build up three of four antennas on separate bands - any good 2M/440 antenna will do you well for scanning the "outside" the ham band freqs.

Going to use the 220 band at all on yours?

Clint K6LCS

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
http://www.work-sat.com
KC9WEK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 12:48:26 PM »

Great, thanks so much, I figured that may be all I needed but wasnt sure about the "outside" bands if they would be picked up. I am taking my Technicians test this coming Monday, so I wont be rated for the 220, at least I think I have to have the General for that band, right? There is soo much I am trying to swim my way through with Ham radio, so I am really just getting started, but am very excited about it.
K6LCS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 10:14:50 PM »

>> ...  I am taking my Technicians test this coming Monday, so I wont be rated for the 220 ...

Uh, re-check that study guide (grin). Your Technician license gives you FM voice privileges on 6M, 2M, 220, and 440 - and you may also operate operate on the 80, 40 and 15 meter bands using CW, and on the 10 meter band using CW, voice and digital modes.

Clint K6LCS

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
http://www.work-sat.com
AE5QB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 12:36:20 AM »

Congratulations on your efforts to become a ham. It is a great hobby.

It sounds as if you are moving pretty fast.  What I mean by that is you already have a radio picked out and you haven't even taken the test yet.  For what it is worth, the FT-350AR is a lot of radio and certainly not the least expensive way to introduce yourself to ham radio. If you have a lot of extra cash then forget about what I am about to write. On the other hand, if money is an issue then I would recommend reconsidering your choice for your first radio.  In most areas, 2m/440 is perfectly adequate for most of the VHF/UHF work you will do.  Even a 2m only radio will be just fine in a lot of areas.  Check the repeaters in your area and see if you can get by with just a 2 meter rig.  A 2 meter mobile radio will probably be fine and will get you on the repeaters and provide a little experience with simplex operation.  A good brand new 2m rig can be had for $175.  What I am thinking of here is the Yeasu FT2900.  There are some other dual band rigs like the Yeasu FT8800 that will save you a little money also.  It won't be long before you will have a hankering for an HF rig.  The $375 you will have in your pocket as a result of buying a basic VHF rig will be a good start towards scratching that itch.  Again, if your heart is set on the FT350 then go for it.  If you want to get in for a lot less money and have just as much fun, you may want to reconsider some of the other options available.

Good luck with your exam.  Let us know how it goes.

Tom/AE5QB
KC9WEK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 12:13:56 PM »

Grin, I know, Ill be pounding the study guide all weekend, and yes I need it. Also, I know the FTM is overkill and I have not even been on the air, but, I have had a FT-470 HT for awhile and would monitor it and listen to others when I could pick something up. That is what got me interested and I got a great deal on the FTM, is used(barely) so it was cheap and I didnt want to let it go.

I will definitely return with hopefully a new call sign. Thanks for the luck!!

KX0Z

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 06:19:57 AM »

I have the FT8900R which also recieves 800mhz.  I had good 800 recieve using a Comet SBB7..
KC9WEK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 06:11:58 AM »

UPDATE!!
Test is passed and awaiting Call Sign!! Grin
KD2CAE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2012, 10:38:32 AM »

Just think of the main op bands for your antenna - and leave the scanning of the "outside" bands out of the equation. Unless you want to build up three of four antennas on separate bands - any good 2M/440 antenna will do you well for scanning the "outside" the ham band freqs.

Going to use the 220 band at all on yours?

Clint K6LCS
EXACTLY!  KD2CAE
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: