Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2003 Ford F150 Antenna Mount  (Read 1384 times)
AE7VA

Ignore
« on: June 06, 2012, 04:47:34 PM »

I have a 2003 Ford F150 Supercrew with the 5.5 ft Heritage style bed.  These beds have a plastic/decorative bed side top caps on both sides that snap into a series of small slots/holes.

I want to put my Diamond SuperGainer 2m/70cm antenna in the left rear corner of the bed.  There are several problems.

1.  There is no access behind any of the sheet metal to add a nut/washer.
2.  The Heritage beds do not come with stake bed holes. I actually removed the caps (carefully not to break all the plastic clips) and found no stake holes.
3.  The interior walls run flush to the top caps with the exception of two small indents above the bed tie down anchors.
4.  The top of the bed near the top cap angles outwards a few degrees.  So if you mount a standard 90 degree metal mount flush, due to the angle and length of the antenna, the top of the antenna is nearly 20 degrees out of plumb and is exposed way out beyond the side of the truck.

I don't have a tool box or bed rails and I no longer want to have a mag mount on the roof with coax exposed.  I also don't want the antenna directly behind the cab as I don't want the antenna impacting the truck body as it flexes in the wind and while driving over uneven surfaces.  And I don't want to have anything in the bed that would interfer with loading/unloading.

Has anyone with this style bed found a mount that will work for this particular situation?

« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 05:00:12 PM by AE7VA » Logged
W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 11:26:27 AM »

Hi Paul,

You might consider posting this in the eHam Mobile Forum.  Lots of good experience hanging out there, like Alan, KØBG (www.k0bg.com).

I saw a ham once who cut a piece of marine grade 3/4" plywood to fit the bed of this pickup.  He mounted the antenna to a small TV style tripod bolted to the center of the plywood and "guyed" it to small eyebolts at the corners of the plywood.  It did not slide around and the antenna mount was solid.  It sounds like a monstrosity, but really was not that hard on the eyes.

I couldn't find any similar approaches on Alan's website, but there are many installation options discussed there.  Also, give some thought to the plywood foundation.  You could easily build handles on the base for removal as necessary.  Just a thought to get the old noggin' cranking.

Terry, WØFM
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: