Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: S9 31 FOOT VERTICAL  (Read 9968 times)
K2OWK

Ignore
« on: June 06, 2012, 05:11:39 PM »

I have been trying to buy an S9 31 foot vertical for a few months now. The manufacturer LDG indicated that they errored in the number of orders they expected and produced way to few antennas (18 and 31 foot). I want to purchase it from there retailers (Cheap Ham), but it is perpetually out of stock. I have it on my wish list, but I am on the verge of giving it up and making my own. I can not understand why it would take so long to produce an antenna that is just a piece of wire inside a telescoping fiberglass pole. Does anyone out there know what the problem is?

Why don't I build one myself. I will admit I am lazy and it would cost me about the same. I have purchased just about all the items I would need to install the antenna, and now I hope I can live long enough  to buy one.

73s

K2OWK
V47JA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 08:18:19 PM »

Hi Barry,

It kind of look like the same question you asked last November, you may want to review that topic:

http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,74126.0.html

However:

I purchased a 31' telescoping (green or black), fiberglass pole available from Jackite Inc. for $69.95.  Insert 31' of FlexWeave ($5.00) and your done.

http://www.jackite.com/product_info.php?products_id=132

Add a Balun Design, Model 4134s Unun. With my Palstar AT-AUTO tunes all 10-80m better then 1.2:1.  It is mounted on the second floor balcony and uses the metal roof as the radials.  

This is what I did:

1. Cut off the top 1/2 inch metal tip of the fiberglass pole, leaving a hole for the wire to go through.
2. Insert the wire up through the fiberglass pole.
3. Solder a solder lug terminal to the wire, so it can not pull back down the pole.
4. Put a 2" sleeve of heat shrink over the tip and the protruding solder lug. (optional)
5. Drill a 1/4" hole 1' from the bottom of the 31" pole, to pull the wire out and connect to a the Unun

73 and DX,

John   V47JA  

« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 08:40:47 PM by V47JA » Logged
K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 08:43:38 PM »

Thanks John, It will be something I will definitely consider soon. Just for information, the S9 31 foot antenna includes a free 4 to 1 UNUN for under $100.00, but if you can not get one all the freebies in the world are useless.

Thanks again John.

Regards

73s

Barry K2OWK
V47JA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 09:01:10 PM »

Hi Barry,

Good luck with your project.  BTW the "FREE"  Unun is only good for 200 watts.

John  V47JA   -  W5JON
AG6WT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 07:11:05 AM »

As John V47JA mentioned, you can try Jackite. I have two of their 31' poles and they are pretty good as far as fibreglass poles go. In fact, I don't know if LDG still uses them as a supplier but before LDG took over S9, S9 was sourcing Jackite.. you could actually see the Jackite logo in the S9 assembly guide.

You might as well as build your own vertical. If you look at the S9 manual you have to assemble it anyway. The main advantage of buying from LDG is that all the parts are included except for the radials. Actually, the most time consuming and expensive part is installing the radial field so expect a bit of labor anyways.

Another advantage of going with Jackite is that they sell replacement sections for $6 each. Break or crush a section and you can easily buy an exact match. Shipping is pretty fast.
W2PKY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 09:41:07 AM »

John N1OLO sells the Jackite fiberglass poles.
See WWW.Hamsource.com for details.
Fast shipping and good price.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 05:34:17 PM »

The 4:1 unun is cool but the wrong ratio for most bands.

On 40m and 15m, you'd do much better with a 1:1 unun.

On 20m and 10m, you'd need about a 40:1 unun, and that would be very difficult to build.

It's a strange concept, trying to make an untrapped single length unipole work on several frequencies. Wink
K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 10:33:56 PM »

Just a note WB2WIK, This is the matching system (4 to 1 UNUN) that S9 recommends for all band operation on this type of vertical (40 thru 6 meters) with the proper tuner.

John, I am old school and the 200 watt union will be more then enough for me. I run 100 watts or less, also John the question I had asked in the last posting was about the operation of the S9 43 foot antenna which is no longer an option for me.

The real question is when will LDG make the 31 foot available to there retailers, so I can buy one?

73s

Barry K2OWK
K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2012, 05:33:35 PM »

Just to let everyone know the all the LDG S9 series antennas are finally available at there retailers. I just ordered the 31 foot today. I can not wait to try it out. I have 500 feet of radials to install on the LDG ground plate I ordered with the antenna, and LDG is honering the free 4 to 1 UNUN or 1 to 1 Balun. I am going for the UNUN.

73s

K2OWK
K9SRV

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2012, 06:37:21 PM »

Can you update us on which bands it works well on and how
DX chasing is going?
Thanks,
John
KB9ICO
V47JA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2012, 08:09:47 PM »

Hi,

Granted being on St. Kitts, the DX side of the pile-up, and located 300 feet from the Caribbean, makes it a lot easier.  However, with casual operating during a five week period in Feb/March I have made 7,650 contacts in 168 countries.   

Using the 31' Vertical with a Balun Design 4:1 Unun grounded to the metal roof on the guest bedroom balcony,  The metal roof is called "Galvalume", which the Vertical uses as the ground radials. 

Using 500 watts, the Palstar AT-AUTO Tuner easily tunes the 31' to better then 1.1:1 on all bands 10-80m. The roof is on the North side of the Vertical, so there is a very slight signal favor for 180 degrees to the North (USA, EU).

I have palm trees with a 10-80m dipoles at 30', but the Vertical usually out-performs them by about 2 or 3 S units.

Your results may vary..... please look for me next month when I return to St. Kitts.

73 and DX,

John  V47JA  -  W5JON
K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2012, 03:32:27 PM »

I received my antenna and base plate today. It will take a while to get everything installed. I am using 500 feet of solid copper wire (insulated) for my radials. My radial field will not be ideal. I can run full length radials from north to to southeast, but from northeast to east the radials will only be about 5 feet or so in length. I will be able to install about 20 or so radials with this set up. I am using an MFJ-914 Auto Tuner Extender which should allow my Yaesu FT-450AT to tune antenna mismatches up to 10 to 1. (I am using it now and it works good on my dipoles) I will use a 4 to 1 UNUN at the antenna and hope to be able to tune from 40 thru 6 meters.

I will let everyone know how this turns out.

73s

K2OWK
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2012, 07:04:57 PM »

Just a note WB2WIK, This is the matching system (4 to 1 UNUN) that S9 recommends for all band operation on this type of vertical (40 thru 6 meters) with the proper tuner.
I don't know about LDG ad copy, but the original S9 Company
recommended 100 feet minimum of coax feedline.....
Get a lossy enough feedline and the SWR will be low
or lowER on all bands.

I really don't understand the current obsession with 43 and
31 foot monopoles.
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2012, 08:55:18 PM »

I really don't understand the current obsession with 43 and
31 foot monopoles.

Convenience is more important than variable performance that can be a bit poor on some bands (and very poor on the bands where the antenna is significantly shorter than 1/4 wavelength).

But the loss of performance usually doesn't matter much practically.

Not my cup of tea, but I can understand the lure of the convenience.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 08:59:05 PM by N3OX » Logged

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: