Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why are you so mad?  (Read 1877 times)
AD6WL

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2007, 01:40:07 PM »

KD8ERE,

Congrats on passing your General and welcome to HF.  I hope you get on there and have some fun.  

I think many hams are mad or as others have put it, disappointed at the decision but not at the new hams.  I for one am disappointed because the FCC didn’t retain the morse code exam for the Extra class license.  That doesn’t mean that I am mad at you or any other ham who will be upgrading.  Outside of some internet hams, I haven’t seen any hostility at all toward newly upgraded hams.  Quit the opposite; I have only heard the OMs encouraging the Techs to upgrade and get on HF.  I haven’t heard any disparaging comments directed to newly upgraded hams on the air either.  

73, Jim
AD6WL
W5CPT

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2007, 04:00:26 AM »

While I am not "mad" about the dropping of the CW requirement, I am concerned. If you look at the past you can see the future. Those who use CW (and I do, but not exclusively) see a time when the chunk of band in which we operate CW will be made smaller. It happened with RTTY & PSK, so the likelyhood of it happening again is very great.

And as far as not hearing the same sentiment on the air is that you are probably not spending alot of time down on CW portion of the bands chatting with the "I only do CW" crowd. If your CW skills are less than what they might be, get a copy of CWGet, and a Sound Card interface and monitor some of the Rag-Chews.  

Consider how you would feel if the "Powers That Be" decided that a large part of the 2M VHF band was to changed to Packet only. There would be Repeater owners and users up in arms. Same cause and effect.

My $0.02 and worth what you paid for it.

Clint - W5CPT
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2007, 05:25:00 AM »

As new modes come along and become more popular they need spectrum in which to operate. That leaves you with two choices. Either you enlarge the ham bands or they share spectrum with existing modes like CW. I don't see the ham bands growing in size any time soon so I think we're going to have to learn to share.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2007, 05:27:43 AM »

Before someone else says it, I suppose there is a third option. Don't permit any new modes. Force everyone to operate SSB and CW :-)
AD6WL

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2007, 06:25:54 AM »

>>>>> by AA4PB on March 27, 2007  
As new modes come along and become more popular they need spectrum in which to operate. That leaves you with two choices. Either you enlarge the ham bands or they share spectrum with existing modes like CW. I don't see the ham bands growing in size any time soon so I think we're going to have to learn to share.  <<<<<

Sure, which modes are we talking about?  Phone has gotten more space with recent FCC rules changes.  But digital modes like RTTY and PSK31 have gotten less band space.  The newest and fastest growing modes are getting less space.  The digital ops and CW ops are being squeezed into a smaller portion of the band.  But the phone portions of the bands are expanding as are the width of the phone signals.

WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2007, 10:48:28 AM »

I'm neither angry nor disappointed with dropping the code requirement specifically (although I like code and use CW nearly every day).

What I'm disappointed about is the overall relaxed standards, mostly including the written exam elements.  Not that the subject matter was necessarily "harder" in years gone by, but the experience definitely was and to me, that was a good thing.

As an example, I asked my youngest (14 year old) daughter, who has zero interest in ham radio and only knows a little bit about it because of her dad (me), to take the on-line Extra exam...repeatedly...it picks random questions from the pool, and then scores you.  The on-line proctor also attempts to teach why a correct answer is correct and the other ones aren't.

Her first time, she scored very low.  After taking the exam fifteen times, she passed with a score of 78.  She knows absolutely *nothing* about ham radio, and wouldn't know a dipole from an onion.

It did *not* used to be that way, and that's the part that disappoints me.  

<Sigh>

WB2WIK/6
AD5X

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2007, 03:43:53 PM »

"...take the on-line Extra exam...repeatedly...it picks random questions from the pool, and then scores you... Her first time, she scored very low. After taking the exam fifteen times, she passed with a score of 78. She knows absolutely *nothing* about ham radio, and wouldn't know a dipole from an onion."

As a VE, I've been told this by several exam takers.  Some claim they were able to pass with just 2-hours of taking/re-taking the on-line test.  They just got to where they recognized the correct answers.

Phil - AD5X
OLDFART13

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2007, 04:42:39 PM »

Because we busted our rear ends and earned our ticket.  Now they are just giving them away.

Earned something = Worth.

Given something = Worthless.

Some of these new NCG/NCE have been sitting on their rear ends for over 15 years just waiting for the code exam to be eliminated.  Well, now they can pretend to be real hams.

Even though you get a lot of sweet talk here, most of the OTS feel the same way I do.  But that still doesn't mean we don't like you.  You're probably a good guy.  

This may not be what you wanted to hear and I'm sorry if this offends you, but YOU did ask the question.
N6HPX

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2007, 06:41:17 AM »

I agree with many here including Old fart, I was very disapoointed by the decision to drop the code requirememnts. If anything they should have kept the 5 wpm around as it was very easy to pass. We each worked very hard for our tickets and there was no way in heck I was gonna wait 26 years for a ruling like that. I did what most normal hams did and went out and took the tests. I worked my bunns off listening to the code tapes and spent days listening to on air code stations like one's out of India and Japan. Anyone remember stations like JOS in Japan.
    Some members of a club I visited keep telling me its to increase our membership in Ham radio and I should get over it and get back on the airwaves. A little hard to do since I travel for uncle sam and the FCC requirement that states you have to get permission from the Captain to Operate a station. I felt like I have to sit in the back of the room and just pretend like nothing happened.
     I have nothing against any no code hams as I talk to them alot on HF from other parts of the world like Australia and some I believe in Japan, but I do object to the FCC decision on this and feel they should have kept it in place and have others do what we did in our exams years ago. The 5 wpm was worth it.
     73's from the East China sea
     Larry,n6hpx/mm
WS4Y

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2007, 07:13:24 AM »

Not mad just disappointed.  The Commission has made
the decision and I will live with it. I welcome all
new ops to hf without prejudice.  I will welcome any
new AG or AE to any qso I may be in.  However if you
holler "breaker breaker" to try to join in I may ignor
you. My advice is to listen for while.  If you are
coming to amateur HF directly from 11 meters you may find
many old hams cool to you if you bring the CB slang
with you. Most of my qsos are cw and almost all are
1 on 1 type qsos.  Very different from large ssb
group round tables you find on the lower HF bands.
You can meet many new and interesting folks on the
cw bands.  Besides cw is fun!  Now if you learn it
is because you want to not because someone it making
you do it.  I hope you will want to.   All you no
code tech's can now operate cw on 80, 40 and 15 meters.
I hope many of you will use it.  Try it. Learn it. It
may open up a whole new part of ham radio you never
knew existed.
N4MJG

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2007, 06:46:38 PM »

i pass my code aug 5,2006 i keep on learning !!!!!AS OF MARCH 17,2007 i pass my general written atfer 6 month trying to pass the written test ,at least i wasn't mad on code part,i took it before the code drop ! just my 2 cent in

Jackie
KG4ORX
WEBSITE http://webpages.charter.net/kg4orx/

KX8N

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2007, 09:11:40 PM »

"Her first time, she scored very low. After taking the exam fifteen times, she passed with a score of 78. She knows absolutely *nothing* about ham radio, and wouldn't know a dipole from an onion."

It seems that during those fifteen tries, and ending with a score of 78, she has indeed learned some information about amateur radio.
N6HPX

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2007, 11:38:36 PM »

Sad and kinda strang but curious thought just why they waited so long for the FCC to drop the code requirements, and what if the FCC never did. I for one did'nt want to waste 26 years for that to happen as it was time worth doing and time I have been enjoying the airwaves. Just so food for thought.
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2007, 07:48:29 AM »

KX8N said: "It seems that during those fifteen tries, and ending with a score of 78, she has indeed learned some information about amateur radio."

Rote memorization is not the same as "learning", especially when the material "learned" is essentially in an unknown, foreign language.  If she were able to discuss the questions IN CONTEXT and could demonstrate that she did indeed know the material, I'd agree that she had learned.  It doesn't sound like she's quite to that point yet.

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
N6HPX

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2007, 10:49:03 AM »

Makes one wonder why she never got help on learning it as thats what Ham Elmer's do..teach it and I agree on the learning part..I recall the ARRL use to have a book that was pretty darn good..it was kinda brown colored and was like a basic radio info book. I read it along with the Tech and general class hand books. I remember when I took my tests I had 79 questions. Only missed 5 or 6 I believe.
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: