Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why are you so mad?  (Read 2118 times)
KD8ERE

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2007, 07:03:38 PM »

Ok, I would like to say one additional thing. After reading all of the replies to my original topic, it seems that I may have come off "flaunting" the fact that I didn't have to take the code test. I was in no way looking down on CW, and have been studying it since I first for my Tech ticket in May of 2006. I announced that I didn't have code because I've been asked ever since my upgrade if I took the code. I wasn't proud that I was able to upgrade without taking code. I was excited to have so many new frequency privilages open to me rather than just 144-148 MHz. I've enjoyed VHF and some UHF contacts I've made. DXing with an HT in my mother in law's driveway on Thanksgiving was a blast. I was just excited to be able to talk to another state from a radio, rather than through my computer. I don't want to step on toes, and if I came off like that, I apologize. My question was just to get both sides of the story as to why it has angered many hams that code was dropped. I am investigating it, and hope to make a contact with all of you when I do get as proficient as I possibly can. Thank you to all.

Ryan KD8ERE
N6HPX

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2007, 10:55:31 PM »

Ryan for myself I felt it was worth the extra effort to do it as I would never have done what you did, to wait for it to go away, as thats a waste of time and energy I could have used on the HF Airwaves.

Dxing is always been fun to me and have enjoyed it on both sides of the oceans and in the Indian ocean as well, for myself Dxing on an HT would be fun as well if not done throught echolink or winlink as thats not dx to me.

I wished many more hams could have done what the others did years ago and spend the extra time passing the code, so many of us could have worked more Hams on the bands. CW is fun to learn and many will tell you it was worth the effort to pass.

Take care and wish you could have passed the cw exam.

Larry,n6hpx/mm
circling Guam island
W2RDD

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2007, 03:14:52 AM »

I think most dedicated cw ops couldn't care less if you had or didn't have a code test in order to obtain your license. Probably don't care if you ever use a key. I think their worry (and mine) is the FCC believing that all hams want to do now is yak into a mic. That's ALL hams. So let's make it more difficult for cw operators to find find room on the bands in a "gentlemanly" segregated band plan.

W9OY

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2007, 10:30:03 AM »

It's genetic

73  W9OY
K8MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2007, 08:27:55 PM »

"Her first time, she scored very low. After taking the exam fifteen times, she passed with a score of 78. She knows absolutely *nothing* about ham radio, and wouldn't know a dipole from an onion."

An onion?  That's got something to do with skin effect, right?
WR8D

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2007, 09:56:02 AM »

Ryan back in 81 i did what i had to at that time to get an amateur license. I came in as novice with hf privileges at around 5wpm on cw. It took me a long while to work my speed up to the 13wpm for general. During that time between novice and general i made tons of contacts and learned the ropes so to speak. I did'nt make my general license then come onto the bands with an ego and a chip on my shoulder, which is what we see today in most of these firebreathing anti code types.

I loath the new ham that's bragging he or she is a slow code this or a nocode that. These people will forever keep the split in our ranks "growing".

It's not a true statement to say we only see that on the internet and these threads, i hear it on the bands "period". Many are honestly trying to "gloat" about it and doing so only shows their ignorance.

What will the world think of us here in the states when this next solar cycle gets up and running a little.

New hams...leave the cb crap talk and the two meter talk on those bands. You'll get a welcome to the hf bands that way. "Good advice", sad so few will take it. Most infact will want to go against the grain and take every chance they can get to try just to piss an older ham off, with their ego and that "gloat" attitude of..."they gave it to me". now i'm as good as you.

All the time they're saying stuff like what i've mentioned they'll go out and buy a g5rv and all they know about a rig is how to turn it on.

My two cents:

John WR8D
N7DM

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2007, 12:08:54 PM »

I'm not 'mad'...yet. But I'll be well beyond mad when the Phone Sub-Bands are done away with and entire bands are thrown open to SSB operation...Top to Bottom. And some aches and pains SSB round-table net forms up on 14.005.  Then...ARGGGGG. And I've 'read the mail' on SSB QSO's where the topic has been looked forward to with orgasmic glee.

dm
KD8ERE

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2007, 12:29:24 PM »

Well I'm glad to see that my original post sparked some interest. I'm disappointed that no one read the second post where I said I was not boasting. CW is very interesting, and I agree that it is ashame that so many hams will never get to expirience it since it is no longer required. Like I said, I am learning cw. I do want to get that on my ticket, and I will get it whether you want to believe me or not. I honestly don't care at this point. I posted a thread to get the side of people who are in the field rather than the federal side of things, and I got a number of people saying that I am gloating the fact that I don't have cw. I apologize good people. I thought ham radio was a way to meet good people.
W8LGZ

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2007, 10:13:03 AM »

"Since the CW requirement was eliminated, we've been selling more CW practice tapes than we ever did before!"

If all these folks were REALLY interested in learning CW, then why did they wait till AFTER it was dropped as a requirement to learn it??? Some (many) have stated (on here) that they waited for a year or more to upgrade so they didn't have to take the CW test. IF they WANTED to learn CW, why did they wait? They should have learned it a year or more ago. Why "buy" it when I can get it free syndrome??? (the HF privileges that is)
Just curious.

Jim
N6HPX

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2007, 02:40:40 PM »

Hey Jim I often asked the same question and wondered why now are they coming to do this...but got rididculded by a fellow member of a club I attended...I think like you said they wanted a license to get the HF and not to earn something like the others did..in some minds this is cheating...The FCC should have kept it..one guy I know mentioned we was going against the code of courtesy...I dont agree...were the one's who can be proud to say we did what the others never did..earned and passed it..
THERAGE

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2007, 01:01:35 AM »

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: