Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 6 meter FM activity  (Read 3046 times)
K0YHV

Ignore
« on: June 08, 2012, 09:35:41 AM »

How much activity is there on 52.525 simplex during a band opening?  I am wondering whether getting a FT8900 to do crossband repeat with 6m FM would be worth it for those times I am out of the shack. Or would I probably only make 2 or 3 QSOs with it during the summer Es season?

John AF5CC
KG4NEL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 12:23:43 PM »

Unless you have enough local simplex or repeater traffic to have people to talk to on a regular basis, I wouldn't base my choice of rig on it.

In the central NC area, we're lucky enough to have a couple wide-coverage 6m machines that get some regular use, but it's mostly local.
KC8QMU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 06:52:24 PM »

Well, if you do get on 6, I hope to work you on 52.525!  I hope you have some local activity also where you are.  6m FM is a good but very overlooked local band also. 
K0CBA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 09:07:40 AM »

I listen to .525 all the time.....in the St. Louis area there is almost NO local activity and that's a shame because it's is a great band for local chats especially now that the TV channel 2's are all gone.

When 6 opens, it needs to be really open otherwise the signals drop out of the squelch more that they are in.

Unfortunately or fortunately, depending on your point of view, many guys use converted commercial gear or some kind of remote base that only has one 'channel' and either cant' or won't move so when the band is open it's a real test of FM's capture effect.  
Ideally, one should establish a QSO and QSY off of the calling frequency. As with the 6 and 2 meter SSB calling frequencies, this courtesy also seems to have largely gone down the crapper.

One last little grief if repeater operation wiggles your ears; there seems to be several "standard" repeater offsets and the "pairs" are all over the place.
Of course, the CTCSS encoding is a real guessing game if/when the band opens.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 09:19:09 AM by K0CBA » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: