Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New and looking for a little insight on a few topics.  (Read 764 times)
BUBSMASH

Ignore
« on: June 17, 2013, 10:32:35 PM »

Since this is my first posting here I would like to say a big hello to all.
I am new to ham radio though I did have a father that was a radio communicator in the Canadian Navy many years ago.
The only real radios I have been able to use were just boring old AM 40 channel CBS.
Though I do have an old Realistic 23 channel AM,USB,LSB radio that does work perfectly fine I did not use the USB and LSB when I did use it.
Only a few AM channels that did not seem very busy at times to talk to my father a few times on our travels when we were out in the back country.
It was fun but I have always wanted to be able to talk legally on a VHF. I have had the opportunity to be able to listen in on others while in a friends logging truck but due to restrictions I never did do anything other than pass the mic to my friend when he needed it to tell the other trucks where he was and yes he did have all his paper work he needed to run the channels he was running as well as passing the exam for it.
I am now doing allot of trucking myself so I thought that maybe I should work on getting a license so I am legal. I know myself many out there are not but I know if caught the fines are not so nice to pay.
I do have a few questions though my first question is this. I am from Canada so when I go to take my tests would this even be of any help for me to pass any exams in Canada: http://www.hamradiolicenseexam.com/faq.htm
Why I ask this is in due to me not knowing if this is a good product for this or not have any of you used this or is there better ways to do this.

My second question deals with 2.4 GHz 15 dBi Yagi Antenna as I was helping out a wireless provider service and they had plans to make these. They were installing these after they made them so my question to all this is there much difference between making these and say an antenna for a ham radio?
Any insight to all of this would be greatly appreciated as I have always wanted to get my exams done so I might be able to one day catch a few of you out there on the airwaves.
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 01:20:38 AM »

Good idea to get into ham radio. This is a really interesting hobby.
You need to study whatever material you can get your hands on. It is certainly very helpful to get in touch with a local club. Some even provide training.
There are lots of different antenna designs. Most important is the frequency you want to use it for. The lower the frequency the larger the antenna. But there is really not much basic difference to a 2.4 GHz antenna.
W5FYI

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 05:02:06 AM »

A good place to start is with Radio Amateurs Canada, https://www.rac.ca/
On the antenna question, yes, you can scale 5.8GHz antennas to other frequencies; the formulas are pretty much the same. But it is better to get a good antenna book--it will give you a variety of ideas. The ARRL Antenna Book is good, and the Radio Society of Great Britain's Antennas for All Locations is also a great resource.

Good luck in getting your ticket.
W5FYI

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 05:41:34 AM »

Another resource is the Industry Canada ham exam generator software at http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst.nsf/eng/h_sf05378.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: