The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TS850S Keyer  (Read 1314 times)
N4GVA

Ignore
« on: April 24, 2007, 05:45:00 PM »

I recently started using a Kenwood TS850S with my trusty old Curtis K5 keyer and Bencher paddles.  I've always had  a reasonably good time with my Curtis keyer, but I wanted to give the keyer in the Kenwood a try.  It worked great, but with one weird problem: the keyer tends to add a "dit" to the end of characters that end with a "dah".  An "A" turns into an "R", for example.  I'm sure it's sensing that I had the "dit" side of the paddle pressed slightly too long, but no matter what I do it seems to detect it.  Except for this little quirk I found the keyer absolutely wonderful.  I played with the weight adjustments without much change.

Has anyone else found this to be a problem?  Is there a mod to make it a little less sensitive?  

Thanks...73 - Scott
K7UNZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 07:28:58 PM »

Not really a quirk....most keyers offer you the option of either "self completing" or the iambic style of keying you mention.  Believe it's actually referred to as Curtis A or B.

Check your owners manual, directions for keyer selection options should be in there somewhere.

73, Jim/k7unz
N4GVA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 06:38:15 AM »

The TS850S lets me switch from Iambic to "bug" style, and  I can adjust the weight - but that's it.  I've always done well with the regular Iambic keying style my Curtis K5 used, it just seems like the '850 is a little too sensitive in remembering the "dot" side, I can't get my thumb off the darned paddle fast enough sometimes. Smiley  
N4GVA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2007, 07:23:23 AM »

Update:  I'd long lost my Curtis manual, seems that I have a Curtis "A" style keyer, presumably the TS850 is a B (I'm getting used to it).  That explains it, thanks for the info.
K7UNZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007, 01:09:12 PM »

Hey Scott, let me just make sure I understand your set-uo....

You are just plugging the paddle itself (not the Curtis Keyer unit output) into the 850's key jack right?  And you have the rear panel keyer switch turned "on"...

I ask just to be sure, 'cos I just downloaded the 850 manual from Kenwood and read over it.  Appears the internal keyer in the radio should be of the "self completing" type, but not the extra dit mode.  Pretty much the normal internal keyer, bug option, etc....

If it turns out you're actually plugging the keyer itself into the radio, then you need to turn off the keyer switch on the rear panel.

Don't mean to make it sound like I think you're an idiot (hi)....just sometimes hard to understand when someone tries to describe a set-up in writing.

It could also be that someone ahead of you in the owner chain has modified the keyer....

Jim/k7unz
N4GVA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2007, 07:23:08 PM »

Hi Jim... No, I had it set up correctly.  The problem is the rig apparently is set up with the Iambic-B style keying (not documented), and I'm used to the Iambic-A style.  The description of the "B" style is right on par with the "problem" I was having.  I just can't release the paddles fast enough to avoid having the extra "dit" on my As (and a few other letters get screwed up too).  I've been using that "A" style Curtis K5 for 20 years, habits are hard to break!

Thanks - 73, Scott
K7UNZ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2007, 11:08:31 AM »

Sorry couldn't have been of more help...

Like you, I just plug in my external keyers (K-5's) anyway.  They're all set up the same, so switching between rigs is no problem....hi!

73, Jim/k7unz
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: