Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flex 6000 Series  (Read 27285 times)
WD5GWY

Ignore
« on: June 09, 2012, 02:37:33 PM »

I just got home from HAMCOM in Plano, TX. Had a very nice time.
Got to see the new Flex 6000. While the hardware looks impressive,
as does the specs in the handout flyers, the mockup software display they were
using gave no real indication what the radio's output was like.
I was disappointed to say the least. I had hoped that they would have
a working demo, similar to the 5000 demo with PowerSDR. With the PowerSDR
display you could tune around the prerecorded signals and play around with some
of the receive settings. There was no such thing with SmartSDR. They said that
they were still developing the software and it was not ready for display yet.
  So, I did not put a deposit on a new 6500! (was pretty sure I would not do so
anyway) BUT, I did buy a very nice TenTec Jupiter with all the latest firmware updates.
I am shocked at how well the TenTec Jupiter works! Band noise is almost non-existent.
One of the quietest receivers I have ever used. And it has a good Notch Filter too.
Oh, and it does not need a computer to operate.
  And I still like my Flex 1500. But, like all my other radios, no one on the other
end of a qso can tell what radio I am using.
james
WD5GWY

KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 03:23:13 PM »

I just got home from HAMCOM in Plano, TX. Had a very nice time.
Got to see the new Flex 6000. While the hardware looks impressive,
as does the specs in the handout flyers, the mockup software display they were
using gave no real indication what the radio's output was like.
I was disappointed to say the least. I had hoped that they would have
a working demo, similar to the 5000 demo with PowerSDR. With the PowerSDR
display you could tune around the prerecorded signals and play around with some
of the receive settings. There was no such thing with SmartSDR. They said that
they were still developing the software and it was not ready for display yet.
  So, I did not put a deposit on a new 6500! (was pretty sure I would not do so
anyway) BUT, I did buy a very nice TenTec Jupiter with all the latest firmware updates.
I am shocked at how well the TenTec Jupiter works! Band noise is almost non-existent.
One of the quietest receivers I have ever used. And it has a good Notch Filter too.
Oh, and it does not need a computer to operate.
  And I still like my Flex 1500. But, like all my other radios, no one on the other
end of a qso can tell what radio I am using.
james
WD5GWY

According to a post on the Flex mailing from Flex, they don't even have engineering samples of the faster processor they intend to use yet.  I will bet you that these radios from Flex will be very, very late.  Definitely not by the end of this year.  I hope guys who have pre-paid are very, very patient having their money tied up for all those long months without anything to show for it.

Gene
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 09:39:06 PM »

I hope guys who have pre-paid are very, very patient having their money tied up for all those long months without anything to show for it.
What's their interest rate? Tongue
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 04:07:21 AM »

What's their interest rate? Tongue

When I bought into Flexradio Promises 2 years ago I got kicked off their Reflectors for pointing out they were not coming thru on their promises. I also sent them a radio to get fixed from 160 meter spurs and received from them a non-working radio.

The only thing I ever got from Flexradio Promises was headaches,frustration and more promises. Anyone putting money down on the 6500 Flexradio Promise better be prepared for the same.

It seems to me that Flexradio is now financing Flexradio Promises with customer $$ before the radio is even actually in existence. IMO this is a very good indication of the Flexer Mentality.

Interest Rate? Surely you jest....  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Stan K9IUQ
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 04:17:06 AM »

Didn't we see a similar scheme on the housing market some time ago?  Grin
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 05:57:19 AM »

Didn't we see a similar scheme on the housing market some time ago?  Grin

Flex is not the only company doing this.  Elecraft does this also.  Both companies encourage and take advantage of the cult like following they have.

Elecraft has not even made a dent in shipping the first two days of pre-orders for the KX3 back at the end of December 2011.   Some guys are getting grumpy over there on the Elecraft list.  If you pre-ordered later than Dec 28/29 2011, like in March of this year, then it seems even more hopeless that you will be receiving a KX3 before the end of this year.  There is a rumor circulating that the slow shipments of the KX3 is due to the slow/limited availability of the new low power Analog Devices DSP chip they are using in it.

IF (and that is a big IF) everything goes perfectly in this perfect word of ours (Ha ha), Flex is able to start shipping the pre-ordered 6000 radios at the end of this year, you should not expect to receive your 6000 before Feb 2013 even if you were one of the first on the trigger.  And then there is the issue of the new software which has not even been written, alpha and beta tested yet.  That is a LOT of blind FAITH to place in a company (who has a reputation of missed or ignored promises and stalling their customers) by tying up a large chunk of change for months on end with a product that has not even been fully developed.  No thanks.

Anyone with any sense would wait until a product is available and has been on the market for some time before purchasing.  Let the foolish early adopters with money burning holes in the pockets go through the initial nightmare or bugs and/or missing/incomplete feature before you jump in an buy one!

Gene

« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 06:40:07 AM by KE5JPP » Logged
WD5GWY

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 08:23:32 AM »

I agree with what you say Gene. That is why, even though my inner geek
was begging me to hand over the cash  Grin  I resisted valiantly. Instead I
bought a gently used TenTec Jupiter. And had money left over!!
 This radio has just shoved several radios right off the bench! One of the best
receivers I have used in quite a while. Very quiet and yet very sensitive.
Oh, and the Noise Reduction works!! My Flex 1500 seems to be getting a bit
nervous!!  Cheesy
james
WD5GWY
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2012, 02:16:21 PM »

I resisted valiantly.

My Flex 1500 seems to be getting a bit
nervous!!  Cheesy
james
WD5GWY

Your Flexradio should be nervous. After a while the shine goes off Flexradios for many owners. You find all the warts the Faithful keep quiet about and do not talk about. (It gets talked about on eham). Doubt sets in that you made a mistake in buying a Flexradio. The knobs call. You weaken. You buy a Ten Tec. No more Flexes.

I have owned many radios that were either better or every bit as good as my Flex 5K. Plus I did not have frustration nor did I ever reset a database or check DPC's or worry that the sampling rate was not optimal.   Wink

Stan K9IUQ
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2012, 03:51:35 PM »

It seems to me that Flexradio is now financing Flexradio Promises with customer $$ before the radio is even actually in existence. IMO this is a very good indication of the Flexer Mentality.

It is a sign of a company strapped for cash and needing life support. It is also another way to try to raise some "investment capital" without have to pay a return on investment.

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2012, 04:58:13 PM »

It is a sign of a company strapped for cash and needing life support. It is also another way to try to raise some "investment capital" without have to pay a return on investment.

Yes, this is probably the "real scenario". It is one I have been hesitant to express. I do not want Flexradio to go belly up. They fill a need in hamradio  - just not in my shack.  Cheesy

I have watched Flexradio as a company for several years . Their management is suspect and that is being kind. I have seen them do several things that have led me to the same conclusion you have come to.

Stan K9IUQ
K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2012, 06:59:26 PM »

Does FLEX have any military or government contracts? I doubt Colins could have made a go by just catering
to cheap hams.  Grin
NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2012, 07:54:17 PM »

Does FLEX have any military or government contracts? I doubt Colins could have made a go by just catering
to cheap hams.  Grin

Google gets you this.

"http://www.flex-radio.com/Products.aspx?topic=CDRX-3200"

DL8JJ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2012, 03:53:38 AM »

Hello guys,

I can confirm, that they are many general problems with the PSDR (bugs) also witrh the newst PSDR 2.3.5. These have always been there, from the begining.
I have oppened a call for all topics at FlexRadio and after days of discussions with Flexradio Europe, I will get a promise that these problems quickly erased with a the next new release. I put also all this bugs on my homepage (german, but also in english)
That is the question now...to be, or not to be?
We will see.
I'm software developer and it is also difficult that someone can sell me something that is not really.
I will wait, but not to long...
Important for a company is that they should always tell the truth, so that people know exactly what works and what does not. Only then will the people know exactly for what they spend the money.

Thanks
Emil, de DL8JJ
NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2012, 04:19:05 AM »

I keep finding that Power SDR for no apparent reason is loosing parts of my settings.  For example, a week ago my mic settings changed from one session to the next.  Everything else remained as it was.  

Yesterday my antenna settings had lost the check in the TX checkbox.  Some wired stuff there for sure.   Stuff like that they definitely need to resolve.  At version 2.35 we shouldn't see stuff like that.  This latter one had me chasing an Xmit problem when I did not really have one, just buggy software.  Probably cost me another DX country as by the time I figured it out the band changed and the DX opportunity was gone.

This is the stuff that people need to stop covering up for Flex.  They just need to deal with it, especially before they are off collecting money for a new radio and new software.  Software sporadicaly loosing parts of its settings is embarrassing in my opinion.  This has happened about 5 time in about 7-8 months of ownership.

This is the very thing I would be very fearful of as far as the new radios go.  The bugs and the time it will take for Flex to address them.

K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2012, 04:41:41 AM »

The question of course is have they actually sold any of these? Radio mock-ups, beautiful web pages and promises are easy to come by. Actual working radios with software that works is a different story.

Could you ever imagine any commercial/government that would put up with the problems that PSDR has had over the years?Huh

Stan K9IUQ
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: