Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OK, I give up. Help me reach my 50th state.  (Read 2936 times)
W9KDX

Ignore
« on: June 09, 2012, 06:03:39 PM »

I am working on getting all 50 states (plus DC) and 100 countries (almost done) in my first year and I need help on how to get North Dakota.  I don't want to just set up a sked, I prefer to do it the old fashioned way, but I really need some suggestions.

I am limited to 40 meters and higher frequencies.

I have tried nets and I cannot get anyone in ND and I have worked through the ND QSO party with no luck.  I have occasionally heard a ND station but only when they were calling someone else so I was not going to hijack the frequency.

Any suggestion for times, frequencies or calling CQ would be great.

Sam
W9KDX
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 06:08:23 PM »

You could try CQ ND on psk31 or wait until Nov for the SS. GL.

Jonathan W6GC
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 06:10:54 PM »

I have tried nets and I cannot get anyone in ND and I have worked through the ND QSO party with no luck.  I have occasionally heard a ND station but only when they were calling someone else so I was not going to hijack the frequency.

Calling CQ ND during the ND QSO party would have been good  Undecided  But maybe there are just so few that it doesn't matter?

I think that the ND QSO party or a contest where states are multipliers will be your best bet to find one "in the wild."  Field Day is potentially a good option but you'll have to hunt hard.  I would probably learn the callsigns of a bunch of ND clubs if you want to do that.

How much "assistance" are you willing to use?  You willing to use the DX cluster system?  If so, when you can get on the air, search DXSummit http://www.dxsummit.fi/Search.aspx for some "likely suspects"

KC0W and KD4POJ are both active, both have been on in the last 24h.  If you switch the search from "DX Call" to "Any Column" you can search for North Dakota, Dakota, ND, etc. in the comments field.  Knowing KD4POJ's call is probably important because he's quite interested in passing out ND QSO's, uses LoTW and has a call that sounds like he's in Florida Cheesy
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 06:15:24 PM by N3OX » Logged

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
W9KDX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 06:16:13 PM »

Using the DX spotting sites are OK, as far as I am concerned.  I have not figured out a way to get them to sort based on the "0" zone but I suppose I could just watch them all and wait for a ND ham.

That search change looks good! and thanks for KD4POJ.  Does he have any favorite SSB bands?

Thanks for the ideas, the biggest problem is I am in MN so I am often "too close".
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 06:21:12 PM by W9KDX » Logged

Sam
W9KDX
K6UJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2012, 06:17:07 PM »

I am working on getting all 50 states (plus DC) and 100 countries (almost done) in my first year and I need help on how to get North Dakota.  I don't want to just set up a sked, I prefer to do it the old fashioned way, but I really need some suggestions.

I am limited to 40 meters and higher frequencies.

I have tried nets and I cannot get anyone in ND and I have worked through the ND QSO party with no luck.  I have occasionally heard a ND station but only when they were calling someone else so I was not going to hijack the frequency.

I have a Ham friend that lives in North Dakota, Bob, KK0MG.
I stay in contact with him and I'm sure he would be happy to QSO.  Give me an email k6uj@arrl.net and we can email him and discuss.

Bob
K6UJ

N5MOA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 06:31:20 PM »

If you have 6m capabilities, there are a couple of ND ops on  in the ARRL VHF QSO Party contest.

I heard KC0W, but he didn't hear me.

A T-8 isn't designed for 6m, so I wasn't surprised, although I did manage a couple of SD qsos.

You being closer may work in your favor if you can get on 6m.

N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2012, 06:35:51 PM »

That search change looks good! and thanks for KD4POJ.  Does he have any favorite SSB bands?

Thanks for the ideas, the biggest problem is I am in MN so I am often "too close".

Don't know about KD4POJ's general habits... I know him most from 160m.   I don't think you will find him in the wild on 160m phone... he's down there looking for DX so he'll be on CW, though 160m would solve your "too close" problem.  

EDIT: Nevermind, just saw your "40m and higher"

40m should work okay much of the time, but don't know when Dwayne would be there.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 06:39:03 PM by N3OX » Logged

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
WW3QB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2012, 06:52:47 PM »

The only thing worse than needing a rare state is needing a nearby rare state. From MD, DE and WV were much harder than ND. Got those on 80m and 40m daytime. Since you cannot use 80m concentrate on 40m during the day. BTW, most of my ND contacts were from RTTY contests.
W9KDX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2012, 05:27:56 AM »

If you have 6m capabilities, there are a couple of ND ops on  in the ARRL VHF QSO Party contest.

I heard KC0W, but he didn't hear me.

A T-8 isn't designed for 6m, so I wasn't surprised, although I did manage a couple of SD qsos.

You being closer may work in your favor if you can get on 6m.

Thanks, I forgot about the VHF QSO party, it just might work.

Sam
W9KDX
KC7YE

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2012, 06:33:36 AM »

Check www.w6rk.com County hunter spots. Several are going through ND in next month. Also look at www.marac.org  the CH web site. Check the posted trips page.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 06:38:24 AM by KC7YE » Logged
W9KDX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2012, 09:40:28 AM »

Check www.w6rk.com County hunter spots. Several are going through ND in next month. Also look at www.marac.org  the CH web site. Check the posted trips page.

Thanks for that one, no idea it even existed.

Sam
W9KDX
KC7YRA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2012, 01:11:03 PM »

Field Day is going to be your best chance.  There will be a number of them on.  Here in Wyoming, I work ND most every day on our local HF style nets on 80 and 40 meters.

Get on during FD and when you start hearing Wy,SD,MT, that is your time to really search hard.  They are in there.  Saturday of FD before 40 really opens up long, we will hear a lot of them here.  I'm not sure exactly where you are located (obviously 9 land) but you may be close enough to let that work for you.

GL.  Most folks I talk to tell me Wyoming was their last state.  Would not believe how many cards I get every week that say, "You're my 1st Wyoming contact!!!!!". 

Brad
W9KDX

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2012, 07:35:21 PM »

Thanks for the tip about Field Day.  Just so you know, I had no idea that Field Day was the same date for the whole country.  Glad to find that out and thanks for the early AM Saturday suggestion.

Sam
W9KDX
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2012, 11:03:41 PM »

Great suggestion.  I never thought of FD!

I first got licensed in ID and I also helped many new hams get their first ID contact for WAS.  As for my WAS effort it was difficult for me to get Montana, Wyoming, and Utah as they were all neighboring states to ID.  Chasing states was fun and a great way to be acquainted on HF.

Jonathan W6GX
AH6RR

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2012, 05:44:54 PM »

Look up K3UK's LOTW web page KD4POJ is on there a Lot giving out North Dakota. He helped me get my Triple Play Award with all 3 modes.

Roland AH6RR
TPA #197
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: