Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: June VHF Contest - Yeehaw that was fun!  (Read 4895 times)
N6DZR

Ignore
« on: June 11, 2012, 10:24:18 AM »

I've only been doing VHF contests for a few years, but this last weekend was some of the most fun I have had. I thought the 20 minute opening Saturday afternoon was great until the almost 2 hours opening Sunday! For a while the band sounded like an HF contest - signals all the way up to 50.250 and higher.

With my modest station I was able to work well into the east coast (from Northern CA) including places like Maine and South Carolina. A decent amount of Canada as well. I heard Hawaii and he almost got my call correct before the band dropped out - that would have been a most excellent QSO.

Some of the other guys in the area were talking about working Hawaii, Asia, and UK.

How did the contest go from your location? Got any fun stories to share?

-Jeff
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 03:28:43 PM »

Glad to hear NoCAL had such grand propagation. For me in SoCAL (Upper Mojave Desert area - east side of Sierras), it was one of the worst years for propagation in the VHF test I have had in a few of runs. It started off somewhat decent with a little activity on 2M and then a small opening into the upper midwest/Rocky Mtn states. 6M died and 2M faded for a while then a short decent 6M opening across the US to the upper East Coast and Great Lakes area into eastern VE. On Sunday it was hit and miss most of the day with short openings to here and there but nothing for any great length of time. I did work three KH6 Q's on 6M but could not get XE2K which was half as far away.

I worked harder to make my 123 Q's this year for a measily 8400 points than last year's 250+ Q's for over 40K points.

But all in all, like you said, it was fun and in the immortal word of The ex-CA Governator "I'll be back" Smiley

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
KQ6Q

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 01:36:14 PM »

I was very happy with my results on 6m - and my little 3el beam is stuck facing about 075 - but that crosses the country nicely from SoCalif. I must have a nice lobe to about 350, because I worked into British columbia also. Will go for an omni loop setup soon - that way the beam is never in the 'wrong' direction.
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 01:53:05 PM »

I was very happy with my results on 6m - and my little 3el beam is stuck facing about 075 - but that crosses the country nicely from SoCalif. I must have a nice lobe to about 350, because I worked into British columbia also. Will go for an omni loop setup soon - that way the beam is never in the 'wrong' direction.

Just a bit of input for your omni loop setup ...... I've already worn out a rotor just flopping my M2 6M7JHV back and forth so I too put up a 6M loop to sample with. I have used 2 different 6M loops and both performed very well. These are the OA-50 OMNIAngle Loop from PAR Electronics. It is triangular shaped and measurements (not mine) indicate it has a nearly symmetrical omnidirectional footprint. It is light weight but that is nice for mobile and rover work but still works well in the semi/permenant setup. The other is the SQ-50 square loop from KU4AB. This thing is built like a tank, of solid 3/8 aluminum rod and as such is quite a bit heavier than the OA-50 Omniangle loop. Both are comparable in price. I have had both up at one time or another for extended periods and they both seem to handle the SoCAL environment well. I'm in Ridgecrest - NE Kern County - out here in the hot, dry, WINDY Mojave Desert.

Good Luck with the loop setup.

Gene W5DQ
DM-15

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 02:00:21 PM »

I operated from a hilltop multiop in So. Cal., under the callsign N6VI.

Six played okay (400+ QSOs, 90-something grids I think) but not as well as some years.  Actually, I think not as well as "last" year.  But, at least it opened several times.

2m and all the higher bands played fine, as they will from an 8000' hilltop.

Worked a few in AZ on 2m and 70cm, plus some NV and UT stations.  All that is always difficult here because of the terrain -- even from 8K' up, there's still stuff in the way.

The really high bands (above 432 MHz we had six bands running, up to 10.3 GHz) is where the elevation really helps.  We had over 400 QSOs on 902-1296-2304-3.4G-5.7G-10.3G.  Great fun up there.
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 02:19:04 PM »

I operated from a hilltop multiop in So. Cal., under the callsign N6VI.

Worked you on 6M CW. Thanks for the points.

Gene W5DQ
DM-15

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
W3HKK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2012, 08:44:14 PM »

Our club, WW8OH, Licking County, Ohio  made 180 qsos in the VHF Contest, running 100w to a 4 el yagi at 36 ft. We again had S9+20 power line noise to the north which dropped to S5 at best in other directions, so apologies to those who called and wondered why we didnt come back.

Nice strong signals, especially from 0 Land and 1 Land, but very few 4's for some strange reason.  Usually  FL and TX are constants for us, but not this year.

We picked up Mexico, the entire West Coast,  but nothing from the Carrib.

See you next year
W3HKK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012, 12:44:54 PM »

where  and when can I find the  raw scores posting for the June VHF Test?  I checked ARRL and found nearly 1000 logs had been submitted but nothing about raw scores.

??
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2012, 04:36:19 PM »

where  and when can I find the  raw scores posting for the June VHF Test?  I checked ARRL and found nearly 1000 logs had been submitted but nothing about raw scores.

??

http://lists.contesting.com/pipermail/3830/2012-June/date.html

scroll down and read the individual entries.

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
W3HKK

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 08:17:41 PM »

Got it.  Tnx Gene!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: