Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What's up with g4fon "New"?  (Read 509 times)
KB0PNB

Ignore
« on: May 06, 2007, 05:47:33 PM »

I'm (re)learning code via this method and I've just arrived at the 41st and final character, which is sent as dah di dah di dah. The program text displays this as "New".

When I learned code the 1st time, I did not learn such a thing. Is this really a character, or am I missing something?

73... Mike
KC9HOZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2007, 08:30:41 PM »

G4FON has an option for defining your own characters under Setup.  You didn't accidently create a new character leave the "new" default label did you?

Scott kc9hoz

p.s. Although I really like G4FON, is this particular option useful to anyone?  Does each individual user have their own morse characters he needs to learn?!?
KC9HOZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2007, 08:40:37 PM »

Give me an EDIT button PLEASE!!

I double checked and G4FON is loaded with only 40 characters. (the prosigns are introduced via the QSO files)

Dig around in Setup and you'll probably find something that doesn't belong. : )

Scott kc9hoz
AG4RQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2007, 09:54:26 PM »

kc9hoz:
"p.s. Although I really like G4FON, is this particular option useful to anyone? Does each individual user have their own morse characters he needs to learn?"

Yes. I used that feature to define "+" for AR, "*" for SK, and "=" for BT. I'm also thinking of putting in the "@" character and designating something for AS. The "@" is useful for e-mail addresses and AS is used on CW.

G4FON and other Morse code software may no longer be needed to prepare for a test, but these programs will still be used to learn and practice code for use on the air. We don't have to remain rigid with FCC characters. We can do our own thing learning and practicing code for our own purposes. I wouldn't bother with all kinds of characters we don't use, but there are a few that weren't on the test that are used. The +, * and = conform to Nu-Morse and Ham University. I use those for practice along with G4FON.

KB0PNB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 03:08:10 PM »

I found it there in "Morse character setup". I unchecked the "New" box, clicked "OK". and went back to the program.

However, I find that unless I click on that 41st character, some toolbar icons are not available, such as QSOs, Words, etc. Then, when I look in setup, the "New" box is again checked: evidently the act of clicking that 41st character rechecks that character box.

What to try next?

73... Mike
KB0PNB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2007, 03:31:01 PM »

I got it to work now. It seems that when using the Words or QSO setting, it somehow ignores character #41.

All is well. Thanks for your help fellas!

73... Mike
KC9HOZ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2007, 07:52:22 PM »

Mike,

Go back to Setup, click on Define New Character and delete the "new" character that is in there.  I played around with it a little more today and discovered that it's REALLY easy to accidentally add a character just by clicking the Add button.

Mark,

You're thinking ahead, wish I would have thought of that.  However, I used G4FON to pass the test, so that was my primary concern at the time.

Scott kc9hoz
LB3KB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2007, 01:55:27 AM »

There is no need to "create" characters yourself - try Just Learn Morse Code.

It includes all the characters you need, along with a user interface that is easy to use.

http://justlearnmorsecode.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: