Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New to Forum  (Read 397 times)
KE7MCL

Ignore
« on: April 11, 2007, 08:34:15 PM »

Just something about me.  Started with CW in 1978. Not as a Ham but in the army as 05H (morse operator).  Did not get my first ham license until mid 80's when I went through the special forces qual as an 18E.  Now(still in the army) I am a civil affairs officer in Iraq for a year.  Currently waiting on my rig to come on the slow boat from Ft Bragg. Since the time my current deployment started in Nov 06 I have met several hams that were former army security agency (ASA) now called INSCOM.  Just wondering if there were any ASA,INSCOM or SF commo guys out here now.
EXWA2SWA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 10:25:48 AM »

You might check this one out - I started the thread in (I think) November of 2005 and it drew a few responses from former/current military ops ...

http://www.eham.net/articles/12486

Looking forward to hearing you on the bands,
Jim NS5M
KE7MCL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 09:22:05 PM »

Jim,
Great article!  SIGINT/RTO types were and are a tight group across the military.  Really enjoyed reading all the comments.

My time was spent at
Okinawa, Misawa, Kunia and Ft Bragg.

Ham is the closest I get to spinning a R-390 or listening to a man packed Watkins/Johnson.

There is a lot of history in the military when it comes to CW and radio in general.  Also there is a lot of fun times that were had in field stations around the world.  I can not remember the last time I had some new soldier ask for my EMHO report after a mid shift.  Or finding carbon on my headsets.  Lets not forget the infamous chad bomb that dangled over the head of an unaware op.

George
EXWA2SWA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 10:34:46 AM »

I sure can't remember the last time i was asked for an EMHO log entry - musta been in early 1970! Yup, the newbies at any station had to put up with untold crap - but it was all in fun and meant to foster that sense of belonging so important to all military units. That may be the beginning of a new article or maybe a stray ...

I seem to remember Edzell, Scotland as being a little more intense on the "welcome aboard" front than any of the others, but Phu Bai, RVN ran a close second. Musta been something about everyone carrying a loaded weapon that slowed things down.

Thanks for your service, George - stay well & CU on the bands,
Jim

W5CPT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2007, 07:20:18 AM »

Welcome from an Old ASAer. Was a 33 for 20 yrs and 17 days (66 - 86). Spent most of my time in Ft Devens, Sinope and Okinawa with a few other odd places thrown in. Did not get the Ham Bug till I retired in Mass. I however did marry an 05H who can still copy 40wpm (bails me out when the DX is running faster than I can).

See you on the bands (15M when it is open is my favorite)

Clint - W5CPT
AC2C

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2007, 06:38:24 AM »

Naval Security Group (NSG) 1966-1986.
Northern Africa, Hawaii, Guam, Homestead AFB

Ron, AC2C
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: