Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: QRP and 10 meters  (Read 4973 times)
K0YHV

Ignore
« on: June 14, 2012, 01:17:09 PM »

It seems that many of the mini QRP rigs today leave off 10 meters!  Any idea why?  It seems like it would be a great QRP band, especially if you have limited space for antennas, like you want to go bicycle or pedestrian mobile. 

John AF5CC
G7DIE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 02:44:19 PM »

I can only assume it has something to do with the fact 10m is a bit hit and miss, when it's open it's really good, but there are many times during the year when the band is closed, however Summer SpE season would suit 10m QRP.
I was working overseas on the Island of Crete during October last year and spent a big chunk of time on 10m with my FT817 and miracle whip combination, callsign SV9/G7DIE/P, I had around 400 QSO's during my time there, with some very memorable contacts, here's one that made my day:

SV9/G7DIE/P with VE1TK
AA4GA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 08:09:53 PM »

10 is a great QRP band when it's open!

I think the reason most of the smaller kit-type rigs leave 10 off is that it's a little more difficult, especially for kit builders, to build rigs for that band.  For example, the tuned circuits use smaller values, which leaves less room for error.  Also, for some rigs, the parts chosen may not work that high in frequency - I've got one of Steve Weber's ATS rigs, and the DDS chip he uses won't work past 15m, so that is the highest band included in the kit. 

AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 06:22:39 PM »

The only 10m monoband QRP kit I
can think of is Dave Benson's long discontinued
PSK10. (10m version in the PSK rig series).
I was lucky to scoop one up the short period
he offered them.
Its a good performer, but like others
have said, it is very propagation dependent.
73, Ken  AD6KA
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 07:48:27 PM »

Everything gets a bit more expensive for that band, compared with lower frequencies.

Even the receiver.

Ham gear doesn't require any certification, but must meet FCC Part 15 radiated and conducted emission standards and on 10m, they can be a bit harder to meet.  It can all add cost.

Some great QRP rigs do include 10m, though.  One of the most fun QRP rigs I ever owned and used was the old FT-301S Yaesu (all analog).  It ran 10W output on 10m and the other popular HF bands and was a really sweet little rig.
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 10:22:13 AM »

Each band adds cost, in the switching, oscillator, and filter circuits if nothing else.  (Not to
forget the operating bandwidth of the power amplifier design.)

There are also mechanical limits such as space:  the HW-8 had 4 pushbutton switches to set
the band, and a 5th switch would have made the panel more crowded.

10m is open less than the other HF bands.  If you have to limit the design to fewer than
the 9 HF/MF bands, 10m is a logical band to leave out (along with 160m) simply because
it doesn't get as much use as the rest of them.  Now 10m will (hopefully) start opening up
more often, but for the past several years the bulk of the QRP operation has been on
40m through 17m or 15m.

My Argonaut 505 includes 10m, and I've had lots of fun QRP contacts on it, but even at the
peak of the sunspot cycle when I was operating regularly, I made more contacts on 40, 20
or 15m than on 10m.  (Obviously for a Technician class licensee operating SSB, that wouldn't
be the case.)
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 11:44:12 AM »

That's why they make the FT-817
KD5TXX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2012, 07:50:26 PM »

Yknow as strange as it sounds...When we are camping I make more contacts QRP on 20 m than 10m.  Even when the band has been crouded I can hear people all over and noone answers me on 10m.  Switch to 20 m and get contacts.  strange.....That said I have placed a cb mag mount antenna on my air conditioner unit and worked stations on 10m from my driveway with my 817.
W4OP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2012, 08:04:48 PM »

Although I'll never own a piece of MFJ gear, I think they make a 10M model of their QRP SSB rigs.

Dale W4OP
KE4YOG

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2012, 08:54:42 PM »

Working QRP right now on 20 meters. Have worked 15 stations or so on 17 and 20 tonight. I could not quite make the contact with ZL2WL. He could not get the suffix. Oh well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: