Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New at SDR-Cube, new C- line.  (Read 7380 times)
N5RWJ

Ignore
« on: June 14, 2012, 03:02:42 PM »

They or growing, check out what's new, www.sdr-cube.com
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 06:04:05 PM »

Since you are posting this repeatedly in different forums, I gotta wonder why? Do you stand to make $$ selling these?

They are not going to grow much or fast selling QRP one banders for $700 plus...

Stan K9IUQ
AA4GA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 08:17:02 PM »

I think it's a neat idea and all, but agree it's pricey.  I wonder why there is a one-band limit if the rig is based on an Ensemble RX/TX, which I think can be configured to cover 2 or 3 bands.

I would look for someone to do something similar with a Raspberry Pi and Softrock pretty soon for a lot less money...or I would hope that gets done!

I also wonder what "new C-line" means???

N5RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 05:34:25 PM »

Since you are posting this repeatedly in different forums, I gotta wonder why? Do you stand to make $$ selling these?

They are not going to grow much or fast selling QRP one banders for $700 plus...

Stan K9IUQ
No I'm not, this is a good think, it's all in One SRD rig, I hope others will copy it?
N5RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 05:36:17 PM »

I think it's a neat idea and all, but agree it's pricey.  I wonder why there is a one-band limit if the rig is based on an Ensemble RX/TX, which I think can be configured to cover 2 or 3 bands.

I would look for someone to do something similar with a Raspberry Pi and Softrock pretty soon for a lot less money...or I would hope that gets done!

It means Cube line, and it has 5 bands
N5RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2012, 10:18:13 AM »

It means cube line, and it has 5 bands
Sorry, its three bands, but soon to be all bands, along with a power amp. I would hope other manufacturers will follow suit.  SRD-Cube,  in my opinion, is a small aggressive company, that's following the route other resourceful companies have gone
to win customers.
GILGSN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2012, 10:29:13 AM »

Hello,

It would be good if the site explained what a "Softrocks" radio is, because I have no idea, and I'm probably not alone. The first question in my mind is "Is this like a regular transceiver?"

Gil.
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2012, 10:34:00 AM »

It looks nice but $725 for a single band radio is too much.
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2012, 01:29:01 PM »

The current monoband cube is only $75 cheaper than a base KX3. How can that possibly be competitive in any sense of the word, unless it caters to masochists?
STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2012, 11:21:12 PM »

I think if I were these guys developing this cube project, I would look at changing the case configuration.
To my eyes, the cube is not a pleasing concept.
I would adopt the elecraft model of making a bigger chassis, with room for expansion within one case.
Then, future pcb's, power supplies, front panels and so on, could be incorporated and remain a sleek design.

Would I buy one - sorry the price is too high for me when there are so many other options offering more for the same or less.
I understand that it is possible to nickel and dime your way forward with this concept, but in the end I would still end up with
a bunch of cubical boxes cluttering up my desk.
Now, if it was the elecraft model, of adding pcb's within one box, that may be more likely to get me interested.
Just a personal point of view.

Otherwise the effort is in the spirit of ham radio experimentation, and I support that concept, and wish them well.

73 - Rob

KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2012, 03:59:35 AM »

The "cube" uses a dsPic, which is getting pretty long in the tooth now.  It is not a very capable DSP processor either.  I believe the KX3 uses an low power, 4th generation Analog Devices DSP chip.

The cost compared to the KX3 is way too high, especially since it uses crappy single band, low performance Softrocks.  Makes no sense when compared to something like the KX3.  Of course, if you order a KX3 today, you may actually receive it sometime late next year at the rate Elecraft is filling orders!

Gene
WB8NUT

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2012, 05:38:21 PM »

What exactly does "They or growing" mean? I don't understand this incomplete sentence.
N5RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2012, 12:23:42 PM »

What exactly does "They or growing" mean? I don't understand this incomplete sentence.
Go to their site and look.
WB8YYY

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2012, 10:15:17 AM »

This is clearly a rig for the ham who is as much (or more) interested in the 'journey' to creating/advancing the radio than the sheer 'destination.'  I can imagine those purchasing it understand this.  Its a different paradigm that ordering a rig from whomever, or even assemblying a K2 or other kit rig.  The supplier is passionate about pursuing this not mainly for profit, but to participate in the journey.  Note one may try SDR for a smaller cash outlay, such as buying a basic softrock and using free software - to see what one thinks of doing radio in this way.  The advantage of the SDR-Cube platform is that it operates much like a traditional rig, not needing a PC.  Certainly if you are not motivated to do radio this way, you may enjoy it from the sidelines (as I am doing) and marvel that we have such opportunities to plug various technologies into the ionosphere. 

73 Curt
QRPNEW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2012, 06:37:01 PM »

What we really need is a DUC/DDC transceiver with a front panel like the HPSDR Hermes.

The cube design is obsolete, why invest money in something that has no future?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: