Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are all of my ducks in a row?  (Read 7584 times)
KJ4QYM

Ignore
« on: June 14, 2012, 11:58:40 PM »

Just wanted to ask for advice, I've had my Yaesu FT-2900R since last year and am only just beginning to get everything together to start an install. So far this is what I have:

1.) http://store.rlham.com/shop/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=25994 (Coaxial)

2.) http://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=722 (Antenna) I purchased this from another website but the website is no longer in operation this was the first place I came across.

3.) http://store.rlham.com/shop/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=67287 (Transceiver)

The next things I will be acquiring are the following:

1.) http://rfsearch.rfindustries.com/ShowProduct.asp?classID=23&productID=27137 (Crimper with DIE set for RG/58U, feel free to research this if you want, I'm pretty sure this is the appropriate tool however.)

2.) http://westlake-electronic.com/default.aspx?page=item+detail&itemcode=RF+RFU-505-ST ( RF Industries RF RFU-505-ST | UHF Crimp on Connector Male) Sadly I have to purchase 8 of these, as per their minimum order of $25.00 policy.

3.) http://www.techtoolsupply.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=UT5800 (Ripley Tools UT5800 Drop Cable Trimmer)

4.) http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/MILWAUKEE-Ice-Hardened-Hole-Saw-3EPY2?Pid=search (3/4" hole saw)

I think this is all I will be needing to install the radio into my 2002 Toyota Camry the only issues I have now are figuring out where to mount the radio inside the vehicle. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

KB1GTX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 01:45:18 AM »

You should watch this first, just to be sure,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnkr77zWJRM
KJ4QYM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 02:12:47 AM »

You should watch this first, just to be sure,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnkr77zWJRM

Thanks for the laugh but I don't appreciate it to be honest. I'm waiting for more helpful posts. Thanks anyways.
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 04:50:27 AM »

Couple of changes if it were me:

1) I'd go with the Quicksilver crimper set.  Comes with everything you need to cut, trim and crimp.  I got one at Dayton this year and it works great.  They also sell the connectors as well.

2) I prefer punching a 3/4" hole by way of a Greenlee chassis punch.  If you really must saw, Antennex makes a tool specifically for installing NMO mounts.  It saws and has a stop that prevent the saw from suddenly dropping thru the hole and into the headliner.  Remember..... you only get one chance.

3) Good choice on antenna and mount.  Larsen is the best.

4)  I am a strong proponent duck alignment, but the video above really is funny.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 04:53:52 AM by K3GM » Logged
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 04:52:06 AM »

Yes, you seem to have your thoughts in order, but for the last two items.  The other tools you have are good choices, but I would look for less pricey tools that would do the same job.  The ones you have pictured seem to be professional tools--overkill for the ham radio hobbiest. 

The tools that I don't agree with are first, the co-ax drop cable trimmer--there are several other chioces that don't have the high price tag that this tool has, and those other choices can also properly trim more than one size co-ax cable without having to go through time consuming adjustments in the cutters.  This cutter is only for RG58-U, a poor choice for serious ham radio work.  If you get other, better cables to use in your station, you're going to have to get another tool.

Second, the hole saw you plan on getting isn't the ideal choice to cut through thin sheet metal.  Even though the specs say it's a metal cutting saw, trying to use it on a vehicle panel may well result in an enlarged hole from the center drill bit carving it's metal hole edge while the hole saw is cutting--or even ripped sheet metal.  You want to get a hole saw with teeth that looks similar to a hacksaw blade--or if you're willing to spend the money, a hole punch that will work from a smaller hole.  That will give you a clean edged hole that will exactly fit your NMO antenna mount.

Good luck and 73!
K7RBW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 05:58:32 AM »

I don't see any power cables, but that would be something to consider.

As far as what you should use to make a hole, some people prefer punches, others prefer hole saws. I used to be a punch fan until I tried the Antennex NMO hole saw. Now, that's my favorite. I used that on my most recent install and the hole it makes is as clean as any punched hole, but an order of magnitude simpler to make.

As far as where to put the antenna, the center of the roof is the best, but you might have extenuating circumstances (like a sunroof) that prevent that. Next best would be the center of the trunk lid, after that, wherever you can fit it. Just be sure you can see the other side of where you want to drill/punch to see if there's anything that will be a problem.

Before doing anything, however, you should check http://www.k0bg.com . That is likely to answer any lingering questions you might have.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2012, 07:59:34 AM »

QYM:  I shudder everytime I hear of someone wanting to cut a hole in the roof of a car!  I'm a magmount man myself.  I take steps to protect the roof of the car, not destroy it.

I watched the worst case scenario once when a guy with more money than brains wanted me and a friend to install an antenna in the top of his new Mercedes sedan.  We refused but gave him the tools.  He was about half in the bag at the time so he went out in the driveway, drilled a pilot hole, punched out the final hole and when he set the antenna mount in place, it dropped into the front seat.  He had picked the wrong size hole punch.  He just backed up 3 inches and punched another one!

But I digress.  I see nothing to help tune the antenna no matter which one you use.  No SWR meter.  (Remember, SWR meters for VHF and HF are different unless you spend the bucks to get one that covers both)
KQ6Q

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2012, 09:57:14 AM »

You could save yourself a lot of grief by using a flip-out trunk antenna mount - so you could stow the antenna when going through car washes, parking at the airport, etc. Punching holes in the roof of a non-junker car is SO unnecessary!
KJ4QYM

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2012, 02:34:15 PM »

Yes, you seem to have your thoughts in order, but for the last two items.  The other tools you have are good choices, but I would look for less pricey tools that would do the same job.  The ones you have pictured seem to be professional tools--overkill for the ham radio hobbiest. 

The tools that I don't agree with are first, the co-ax drop cable trimmer--there are several other chioces that don't have the high price tag that this tool has, and those other choices can also properly trim more than one size co-ax cable without having to go through time consuming adjustments in the cutters.  This cutter is only for RG58-U, a poor choice for serious ham radio work.  If you get other, better cables to use in your station, you're going to have to get another tool.

Second, the hole saw you plan on getting isn't the ideal choice to cut through thin sheet metal.  Even though the specs say it's a metal cutting saw, trying to use it on a vehicle panel may well result in an enlarged hole from the center drill bit carving it's metal hole edge while the hole saw is cutting--or even ripped sheet metal.  You want to get a hole saw with teeth that looks similar to a hacksaw blade--or if you're willing to spend the money, a hole punch that will work from a smaller hole.  That will give you a clean edged hole that will exactly fit your NMO antenna mount.

Good luck and 73!

Couple of changes if it were me:

1) I'd go with the Quicksilver crimper set.  Comes with everything you need to cut, trim and crimp.  I got one at Dayton this year and it works great.  They also sell the connectors as well.

2) I prefer punching a 3/4" hole by way of a Greenlee chassis punch.  If you really must saw, Antennex makes a tool specifically for installing NMO mounts.  It saws and has a stop that prevent the saw from suddenly dropping thru the hole and into the headliner.  Remember..... you only get one chance.

Okay I looked on Quicksilvers website and it looks like their Ultimate Crimp Kit for $129.73 will be my best bet, though I don't know if it's really any cheaper than what I was going to be buying.

Secondly I found the Antennex hole saw: http://www.wpsantennas.com/hs34-antenex34x-actholesaw.aspx It looks nice, however replacement blades are extremely expensive...However I plan on doing it right the first time so that shouldn't be a problem.

Quote from:  link=topic=83610.msg602943#msg602943 date=1339772374
But I digress.  I see nothing to help tune the antenna no matter which one you use.  No SWR meter.  (Remember, SWR meters for VHF and HF are different unless you spend the bucks to get one that covers both)

Okay well the antenna I own specifically states on it's website that it doesn't and can't be tuned because it is pre-tuned to 144mhz-152mhz. Should I still invest in an SWR meter? If so which one would be the best bang for my buck? Thanks.

I don't see any power cables, but that would be something to consider.

I'm not sure I understand. My radio came with it's own power connectors which is what I will be using to connect my radio to the car battery. Can you clarify? Thanks.

WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2012, 04:34:11 PM »

QYM:  I shudder everytime I hear of someone wanting to cut a hole in the roof of a car!  I'm a magmount man myself.  I take steps to protect the roof of the car, not destroy it.

Funny you should say that.  I've been "mobiling" on VHF since 1968 and in my experience a mag mount does more damage to a car roof than a hole could ever do. Tongue

I've punched holes in the roofs of every car I've ever owned or leased (yep, leased) and nobody ever cared.  When I turn in a lease vehicle with an NMO mount in the center of the roof, I screw on a cellular antenna and tell them I needed that for extending the range of my cellphone.  Every single dealer, including Mercedes, Lexus, Infinity and Jaguar, said, "Oh, okay, that's a feature, thanks."

Never got dinged by a dollar in any of those cases.
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2012, 06:31:08 PM »

Neither have I.  Here's my 2012 Fusion.  The mounts are clean and neat, no loose coax draped across the sheet metal and the're located far off the forward trunk lip so the tips don't bang on the roof when the trunk is open. I couldn't say that if they were trunk lip mounts.  ....and with the  trunk lid bonded to the rest of the vehicle via copper strapping, they perform amazingly well.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a96/TwoSevenRight/2onafusion.jpg
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 06:35:02 PM by K3GM » Logged
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2012, 06:40:55 PM »

......Okay I looked on Quicksilvers website and it looks like their Ultimate Crimp Kit for $129.73 will be my best bet, though I don't know if it's really any cheaper than what I was going to be buying.....

The Ultimate Crimp Kit contains a die set for Anderson Powerpoles.  For $99, you can get the coax crimp kit that will do just about any kind of coax that you'll encounter.  The crimper is a really nice ratcheting tool, meaning once you start the crimp, the tool won't open until you complete the cycle which yields quality, consistent crimps.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 06:47:35 PM by K3GM » Logged
K0CBA

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2012, 09:41:01 PM »

Having "all your ducks in a row" is no big deal; getting them all facing the same direction at the same time is the bitch.
K7RBW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2012, 06:39:18 AM »

RE: replacement blades for the Antennex hole saw, unless you are going into the antenna installation business, the blade that it comes with should last a lifetime.

RE: power connectors/cables, the wiring that comes with the radio is fine, if it reaches the battery, but I've always ended up installing my own wiring for one reason or another. (needed more wire, installing more radios, etc.) I also changed the connector to powerpoles so it would be compatible with all my other cars/radios in case I switch things around.

RE: holes in the roof, I've yet to hear of anything other than supposition and assumption about that reducing the value of a car. Sure , if you turn the roof or the trunk into swiss cheese, but  just one professional-quality install? show me the car-fax Smiley  I punched a hole in my car's roof for an NMO and it looks like it came with the car, however, I plan to keep the car long enough to make any such modification moot. Either way, it's a non-issue. What I do like is how well it works even with a 12" antenna.
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2012, 09:24:06 AM »

Having "all your ducks in a row" is no big deal; getting them all facing the same direction at the same time is the bitch.

The creation of a linear dispersal of canards is inefficacious.

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: