Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New guys ... do us all a favor ...  (Read 9113 times)
KF4ZGZ

Ignore
« on: June 15, 2012, 12:52:21 PM »

I know you're all working so hard on learning to copy CW ...
How about practicing sending it before getting on the air?

I'm not  new ham ... not even new to CW, but I'm not very active on it .... so I'm a slow speed op.
But dang, listening to some guys, all they send is a jumble!
 .. in fact, I'm listening to a cq now thats just a long line of dits and dahs.

Matt
K6MMS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 02:24:26 PM »

If it's as bad as you say, my guess is that it may be a couple of newbies trying out their equipment to see if they can hear each other. Or it may be someone who tuned to what they thought was an unused frequency and is testing their equipment.

I'm glad to hear ANY CW on the airwaves. As was stated in another thread, it's an obsolete technique in an obsolete hobby! Lets do as much as we can to ENCOURAGE it's use in ANY manner. Newbies tend to get better with practice if they aren't first scared off by criticism. We all started somewhere...

STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 03:59:42 PM »

Obsolete hobby - this is a contradiction in terms.
A hobby is something which is normally done for recreation, and in my estimation, should not be judged by economic criteria.
In the same way it is not necessary to restore old cars, scientific instruments, collect stamps, breed fluffy little dogs - ham radio is it's own justification.

The purpose of a hobby is to engage the mind of interested people, and provide a path to increasing skill in a particular avenue.
Ham radio, by definition, is for personal use, not commercial - so it is fallacious to use words like obsolete.
Ham radio is one of those hobbies, which has possibilities for use in emergency communications, and so is unusual in that regard.
Many ham radio enthusiasts provide emcomms, and do public service, but this does not define ham radio, just exhibits its fine people.

So, let's not go down the path of having to justify ourselves by the zeitgeist of "usefulness" which is really not pertinent to our hobby.

CW is a skill, and something which you can't learn from a book only - it requires time, patience, sweat and persistence.
This is what makes it worthwhile.
When someone gives you something for nothing, it is not appreciated as much as something you have worked months to buy.
We all start the same, spraying CW around like chaff in the wind, but those who persist, are now the guru CW ops.

So keep it up guys - as bad as your CW is, you will find guys willing to talk to you - I will be among them.

73 - Rob

« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 04:02:14 PM by STAYVERTICAL » Logged
N3PDT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 07:10:30 PM »

New guys, do us favor and keep at it. Accuracy over speed. You'll get better. Hope to work each and every one of you.
W7ASA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 07:44:08 PM »

Yes! As I learned handling cipher traffic by Morse:

"SPEED THROUGH ACCURACY."

It's interesting how a decrease in 'speed' of 10-20% can often INCREASE the total throughput  in the same period of time . . .

Now - all things being equal, I STILL love to take one weight off and slide the other to the hilt on my old Vibroplex for a real QRQ QSO when I find the right Op on the other end!  Wooo-Hooo!  You know that I'm having fun when I'm sending too fast to smoke my pipe at the same time.   Grin

73 de Ray
W7ASA ..._ ._
NN4RH

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2012, 05:53:28 AM »

I think there's a lot of newer CW operators using keyers that are a little too optimistic when they set the keyer speed. Result the keyer is too fast for them to control so you get things like "73" coming out as ----........ .........------
N4IAG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2012, 06:52:27 AM »

It's not just the beginners, they mostly try to go slow and  deliberate. But I hear way too many mid to high speed ops that don't have a clue what a space is. Whatever the case, it's very tiresome to try to make sense of run together code.

I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like his passengers.
PA0BLAH

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2012, 07:11:26 AM »

New guys do us ALL a favor.

I am one of ALL, I am sure. Somebody wants to deny this?

Well, why have a lot of American guys O-formed legs?
Not because they used to spent their time with prolonged  horse riding without saddle in their youth, but because their parents want to have them walking like a road runner when they are just one year old.

They hang hem in a wheel/cabled step stool so they can "walk" through the living room hanging with the stool at a horizontal steel cable.

That is the way they obtain their O shaped legs.

Well learning Morse code requires perseverance, you have to learn it from machine generated text and not from duddle-rubble-rubbish generated at 3 wpm from a comraded O-legger.

When you want to increase your speed you have to overload yourself with a 20% higher speed then you are able to  copy solid.

Is it not a shame that speeds of 3 wpm are mentioned?

Why not just take a printed sheet with the code and the alphabet, no exercise at all and starting just by daaaaaaaaaaaaah diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittdaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah. O heaven, take a moment, I scan the paper, that must be a K. OK what a huge experiment I copied a K!. Oh what an excitement!

New guys: PLEASE keep exercising =OFF THE AIR= till you make 12 wpm for 5 minutes sending and receiving with less then 3 errors.

So QSO's are the wrong way of exercising, unless you tell your companion to sent faster then you can copy. Strange QSO.
Especially the dit counters  below 5 wpm are a lost generation of suckers. So you are warned, RIGHT HERE.

What about learning writing and reading in school not from the teacher but just from the guy neighbouring you?

So I am one of ALL, and I say: "Just do this major subset of ALL and the future of CW a favor, and sweat it out till 12 wpm, or when that requires too much from your character, accompany your bulk of citizens band appliance operators with their no code extra license.

I heard two twins chatting together, no Morse, plain "language", they learned each other talking. Nobody else could understand what they were talking about.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2012, 08:49:41 AM »

BLAH:  Just what the hell are you trying to say?  And what's with these anti-American rants? 
PA0BLAH

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2012, 09:10:50 AM »

What I want to say is that when you can't walk and are pushed or encouraged to do it by the expectation of your parents, you have a life time handicap as described.

And the same with Morse code. When you are pushed by "Elmers " or encouraged to exercise on the air with likely crippled and handicapped comrades, your fist is gone forever. You don't even need fists, your left foot will do a better job.

When exercising on the air is necessary in order to keep being motivated, you better stop. That preserves the quality of Morsecode to be heard on the waves in the future.

Are you so selective sentitive about descriptive language abt the circumsized O leggers, that you missed the point? Can't believe.

DutCH are Cheese Heads, no problem. A soccer game between Columbia and Holland was quit after 20 minutes because the Colombians sniffed the lines and the Dutch smoked all the grass.  HI
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 09:14:37 AM by PA0BLAH » Logged
WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2012, 09:17:49 AM »

I heard two twins chatting together, no Morse, plain "language", they learned each other talking. Nobody else could understand what they were talking about.

Nobody understands what you are talking about either.
PA0BLAH

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2012, 09:30:46 AM »

So, I am nobody. Captain Nemo
And WN2C knows what everybody does not understand.
Hence I am nobody and he is obviously everybody.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 09:48:47 AM by PA0BLAH » Logged
AE7UT

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2012, 11:49:02 AM »

Firstly im a braind new Cw op and I'm sure my sending could use some polishing. 
Seems to me the nice thing to do would be to get the guys E-mail address off QRZ and KINDLY send him/her a note saying they should try and increase their spacing between words.
Or offer some help!
What are you ranting here for?   Hoping these guys might read it and change?
I would really like some FRIENDLY assessment of my sending so if we meet please let me know.   Sometimes us newbies need a friendly shove in the right direction.   
KF4ZGZ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2012, 12:45:39 PM »

I guess I mis-stated a bit ... I want them on the air ... just practice sending a bit before. Don't let your first qso be the first time you send.
I know they need to GET ON THE AIR to practice ..... and no, DON 'T WAIT until you're conversational at 12 wpm (sheesh!).
Just practice both ways ... I'll still be there .... and I work with you.

btw- who the heck has "O" legs and walks with a cable?

Matt
AB9NZ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2012, 06:01:41 PM »

What new guys?
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: