Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: No Plate adjustment  (Read 2466 times)
KJ6TSX

Ignore
« on: June 15, 2012, 05:00:29 PM »

I bought a Kenwood ts530 I am new to using tube type radios, according to the user manual i must dip the plate current, but The plate current does not seem to adjust anything it is very low, but still no adjustment??

Later last night I over drove the radio and it started arcing, any thoughts on what it might be??

Belive it or not I am Having FUN Grin

Thanks
George
K4RVN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 07:13:02 PM »

Do you have the manual? Turn the heaters on and let it warm up befor tuning. Also do you have a dummy load?
Be sure and follow the manual. I could be wrong about the heater, just going from a very old memory which is not that dependable any more.
The excessive current due to improper loading can smoke a lot in that old rig. This video for tuning your rig may help.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8svua8n5Lw

Frank
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 07:20:03 PM by K4RVN » Logged
KJ6TSX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 09:06:54 PM »

Frank
Thanks for the video link, Tuned it up with the instructions from this sitehttp://www.k4eaa.com/tune-up.htm on 20 meters (100 watts everything fine) into a dummy load.
I later tried to tune up 40 meters and i started getting arcing?
Guess Ill have to pull her apart and see if I can see what is happening
any help will be appreciated
Oh and yes I have the manual and I even read it a couple of times Grin Grin
Thanks
Again
George
K4RVN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 10:34:12 PM »

You are welcome George. The link you used as well as some videos never show turning the heater on and letting the 6146 tubes warm up several minutes before beginning to tune. It is not uncommon to have someone throw the plate voltage on the tubes without the heater on . It is pretty easy to blow the 6146 tubes with improper tuning.
In its day, that was a great rig. I still have a qso now and then with an op using one.
Good luck,

Frank
G4FUT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 04:41:03 PM »

What sort of match do you get when loading into the 40 metres?

Even if the voices aren't real, they have some pretty good ideas
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 06:33:24 PM »

I wish you were closer, but you're several hundred miles from here.

If the rig is arching on TX there's a pretty good chance that:

Either you SWR isn't very good at all and the impedance at the rig end of your transmission line is much higher than 50 Ohms, or...

Someone else (previous owner) arched it before, and it will continue doing that because once the LOAD cap has arched, it will often keep doing that because it is now damaged.

Variable capacitors don't repair themselves.  Once an arc occurs, it can create a point on the plates that will continue to arc even if there's no particular problem.  You "might" need to fix that capacitor.

The TS-530S can support about a 3:1 SWR okay, but if the mismatch gets very high, it can't deal with it and something's gotta give.  May not be your fault at all, but if the rig is used, this may have occurred with a previous owner and now needs to be fixed.  I know how to fix them, as do many others, but it involves removing the LOAD cap from the rig and de-burring it in a gentle way so as not to remove the plating.
KC2VDM

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 07:34:22 PM »

Kudos George on you're new old rig. They are truly a joy to operate (I own a few myself, though no Kenwood's yet).

Like everyone else said, Check your settings on 40m, And give the inside a thorough look over. Please have plenty of respect for the voltages lurking in that final amplifier cage. The kick inside there can easily know you across the room, or worse! I learned that the hard way.

Have you tried the radio on any other bands besides 20 and 40?

-Alex
KC2VDM
KJ6TSX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 09:57:10 PM »

Found the arcing on the band-switch, destroyed the wiper on the switch, I am trying to find a replacement. The radio works fine on the higher frequencies (that part of the switch is ok) Radio tunes up to 100 watts no problem
Thanks
George
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: