Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grandfathering Advanced Hams to Extra Class  (Read 25539 times)
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: July 03, 2012, 10:07:36 AM »

Jim,

1.  There were two grades after WWI.  The lower class was mail -order (like the later Class C/Conditional.

Did they both give the same privileges?

If so, would it be fair to say that there was essentially one level of license, but two classes? And that they evolved into the Class B/General and Class C/Conditional?

2.  Class A was a replacement for the earlier "Unlimited Radiotelephone Endorsement," that allowed you to use phone without the need to qualify for the Amateur Extra First Class.  It required a written exam only.  

OK - good info!

In any event, your point is proved: Multiple license classes based on level of tests passed goes way, way back in US amateur radio. The concept behind "incentive licensing" wasn't new in 1968. Or even 1951.

And it's still valid today.

73 de Jim, N2EY

K7LA

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: July 04, 2012, 07:58:42 AM »

Just take the exam.   Roll Eyes
KCJ9091

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: July 04, 2012, 12:33:17 PM »

That is what I did.
KASSY

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: July 05, 2012, 07:41:08 AM »

I can't believe someone who's been licensed since 1961 can't just go sit for the Extra and pass it.  If you've been active the whole time, then you've acquired the knowledge just by hanging around other hams.

My degrees are in creative writing, psychology and accounting.  I took a one-afternoon review class and sat for the Extra.  It's not that hard.

- k
WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: July 05, 2012, 11:13:58 PM »

I can't believe someone who's been licensed since 1961 can't just go sit for the Extra and pass it.  If you've been active the whole time, then you've acquired the knowledge just by hanging around other hams.

My thought exactly.  I'll bet he CAN pass it.  He just lacks confidence to go for it.  I've always thought of the Advanced exam as being the most difficult one there was in the amateur service.  If he passed that, the current Extra will seem like a cake walk.
Tom
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: July 06, 2012, 08:20:55 AM »

My thought exactly.  I'll bet he CAN pass it.  He just lacks confidence to go for it.

Maybe. Or perhaps there's a different issue.

From February 1953 to November 1968, all US hams except Novices and Technicians had full amateur operating priviliges. There was no difference in what bands, modes or powers Generals, Conditionals, Advanceds or Extras could use.

That all changed November 22, 1968, and again November 22, 1969, when subbands-by-license-class went into effect. I was an Advanced in late 1968, and I remember it well.

My response, and that of many others, was simply to upgrade to Extra.

But there were a number of hams who thought that they should have been "grandfathered" and not lost any privileges.

Over the years there have been various proposals and comments to somehow do just that. Some years back, QCWA proposed formally to FCC that any General or Advanced who could prove they'd been a General, Conditional or Advanced before November 22, 1968 should get full privileges.

But for more than 40 years, FCC has said no.

73 de Jim, N2EY
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: July 06, 2012, 08:30:25 AM »

"But for more than 40 years, FCC has said no."

So for more than 40 years he's been without his lost privileges. Now that there is stubborn.  Grin
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: July 06, 2012, 11:49:29 AM »

"But for more than 40 years, FCC has said no."

So for more than 40 years he's been without his lost privileges. Now that there is stubborn.  Grin

Sort of.

In 1961, the Advanced wasn't available to new issues. It reopened in 1967.

So somewhere between 1967 and 2000, he upgraded to Advanced.

73 de Jim, N2EY
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: