Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: July 2012 QST pages 36-37  (Read 942 times)
N4NYY

Ignore
« on: June 16, 2012, 07:44:41 AM »

Wouldn't RF exposure be a problem there?
WD5GWY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 09:03:51 AM »

Probably so, if you were running legal limit. But, at qrp to 100 watt levels,
I seriously doubt it. And most likely not much more than talking on a cell
phone held up to your head. The biggest challenge would be RFI in the apartment
and those of your neighbors. That usually dictates lower power levels and
even judicious selection of operating hours.
 The worst problem an apartment dweller would have would be dealing with
interference from neighbors electronic devices.
james
WD5GWY

KK4BNO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 04:31:28 AM »

I have not read the article but I think I can relate. Just got HF and am apartment bound. I have a huge fear of causing a problem to anyones stuff on the only band I have an antenna for (10m) I am very selective and have not operated while either of my next door neighbours are home and the ones below..are moving out and are not really focused on electronics. I forgot to mention I am the top floor apartment which is 3 floors up, no attic access and a public balcony that faces the parking lot and the entire world.

My antenna is a bit too close to me for comfort and its been hard to find a place for it. I have an Icom735 which if anyone knows that radio, its got some interesting slider switches for things like gain and power levels. I love this rig but I am not too great at reading and using the meter that tells me how much output power and levels of other things. If everything is proper, I should be only using about 10 to 15w but no more than 20.. I like to keep things low power as it is. With that said, I am going to mostly use cw when I get my key set up and working properly and digital is another thought as well.

So, with all that said, I am going to back up what James WD5GWY said about other electronic devices. This is a fact. I was so excited to get my rig going and had a small sked set up with my Elmer and was waiting for him to get on frequency. My roommate wakes up and stumbles out and turns on his brand new hand built power house of a gamer PC... The super spendy nice looking power supply that sports rainbows of LEDS and cosmetic shielded wires with what looks like PL connections to the box.. filled the air with a blanket of noise. Thankfully just an increase in the noise all around, not hash or horrid noises. I was able to have my QSO just fine but I had some muddiness of the audio. I have some filters that are built into the radio that I made quick use of when needed but I will still seek out some form of protection for things like this that can and do come up.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: