Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: KSM MARITIME CW ON THE AIR  (Read 415 times)
W5HTW

Ignore
« on: April 07, 2007, 08:17:40 PM »

Just learned today that KSM is a newly licensed maritime CW station, "like the old days."  Listened to it for several hours today with its guard tape, weather, and even one call for a ship station.  Visit this link to learn about this revival of maritime history.

http://www.radiomarine.org/ksm-proj.html

Very interesting to anyone interested in maritime CW.  

"It's baaaack!'

I've spent a couple of years listening to the PEMEX maritime CW net on 3700 khz but it seems to have disappeared since the expansion of the US 80 meter phone bands.  Though it is in Spanish, it is an active CW maritime net.  

Maybe KSM will bring back some of that to the HF airwaves as well!

Ed
K7PEH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 08:39:28 AM »

When I was a kid living in San Jose, California, we would often drive up the bayshore highway (Hwy 101) to San Francisco.  Just north of Moffet Field was a huge antenna farm.  And, I mean huge.  It was right on the mud flats of the bay and spread over what must have been hundreds and hundreds of acres.

Being the son of a sea captain I knew exactly what this was, a maritime radio transmitting station for the Pacific.  And, I remember that it was all CW in those days.  When we would visit my dad's ship when it was in port I would hang out in the radio room all the time.  That was the first time I saw a speed key and I remember this one radio operator on one of my dad's ships who was also a ham operator and had a ham station on the ship as well.

Now, they just pick up the sat phone and call home.  Or they converse using e-mail that they receive over their sat phone data link.  Sure, I guess they still have radio operators but it is not like the old days.  Where are those old days anyway -- shouldn't they be coming along again.
N6HPX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 10:26:24 PM »

What are the frequencies of this station and will listen for it. I use to listen to stations from Dubai, and San Francisco area alot,it was alot of fun and still is. A great way to learn the code as well.
    I miss those days unlike now...

Larry,n6hpx/mm
     Tokyo Bay
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: