Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Got my General  (Read 5161 times)
KB3YLQ

Ignore
« on: June 17, 2012, 11:24:12 AM »

Just in time for Field Day, woot!

Now to start working on Extra. So far, I've used the ARRL study guides, and they've been fine. I've heard some good things about the Gordon West guides though, too. Anyone know how they are?

I do know that the question pool is supposed to change on July 1, so whatever one I get, I'll make sure to get the updated guide.

Thanks and 73,

Loren
WA2ONH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 05:15:56 PM »

Congratulations on your General Ticket!

Yes the Extra Test Pool questions does change effective July 1st, 2012 and covers the 4-year 7.1.2012 to 6.30.2016 period.

I've gotten the Gordon West Book plus Software, as well as, the ARRL study guide.

I find the ARRL guide good at explaining some of the Tech details for me. I like the G West software to generate for me a new and different test to take each time OR a test for a specific section of the Tech / Regs aspect that I am weak on. The software I use on my home PC without having to sign in to a test taking Internet website. The G West Book gives some added details in explaining the answers offered sometimes different than ARRL.

The Tech aspects of Electronics have never been my strong point as my career is a Non-Technical one. (Business/Financial) So both ARRL + G West offered me what I need. The added cost for both items is not a concern. These days, my brain needs all the help I can give it!

And Yes, by all means DO Operate Field Day. It's a Blast!

... and Good luck on the Extra Studying / Exam!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 06:13:11 PM by WA2ONH » Logged

73 de WA2ONH dit dit    ...Charlie
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"No time is ever wasted that is spent LEARNING something!"
MISTAKES are proof that you are TRYING
KB3YLQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 06:42:06 PM »

Congratulations on your General Ticket!

Yes the Extra Test Pool questions does change effective July 1st, 2012 and covers the 4-year 7.1.2012 to 6.30.2016 period.

I've gotten the Gordon West Book plus Software, as well as, the ARRL study guide.

I find the ARRL guide good at explaining some of the Tech details for me. I like the G West software to generate for me a new and different test to take each time OR a test for a specific section of the Tech / Regs aspect that I am weak on. The software I use on my home PC without having to sign in to a test taking Internet website. The G West Book gives some added details in explaining the answers offered sometimes different than ARRL.

The Tech aspects of Electronics have never been my strong point as my career is a Non-Technical one. (Business/Financial) So both ARRL + G West offered me what I need. The added cost for both items is not a concern. These days, my brain needs all the help I can give it!

And Yes, by all means DO Operate Field Day. It's a Blast!

... and Good luck on the Extra Studying / Exam!

Well thank you! I may just go ahead and get both guides. From what you're saying, the two have different approaches. I know the Extra class can get pretty crazy with the math and theory behind it, so I know I'll need all the help I can get.

General really wasn't too bad. The parts that took me longest to absorb were keeping all the theories straight when figuring capacitance in series, etc. Oh, RMS voltage took me a while to get the hang of. But really, by the time I took the test, I didn't find the General any harder than the Technician, once I studied it and learned the material.

They did let me try the Extra while I was there, and welllll...let's just say that I'm still a General. Smiley
K5CWO

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 03:24:56 AM »

Congratulations.

The practice exams on this site helped me a lot with my Tech and General.....plan to start in on Extra next month.

I like the Gordo formatting for studying. I always buy the ARRL book for more detail...plus it helps support a good Org.

Take care

Mike
KB3YLQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 04:44:47 AM »

Congratulations.

The practice exams on this site helped me a lot with my Tech and General.....plan to start in on Extra next month.

I like the Gordo formatting for studying. I always buy the ARRL book for more detail...plus it helps support a good Org.

Take care

Mike

Thanks, Mike! And yes, good point about supporting ARRL. Definitely I'll be grabbing both study guides.

Loren
[/quote]
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 07:11:04 PM »

I got my general right before field day also . . . . I used the Gordon West book and software.

W7HBP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 07:39:20 AM »

Now to start working on Extra. So far, I've used the ARRL study guides, and they've been fine. I've heard some good things about the Gordon West guides though, too. Anyone know how they are?

I do know that the question pool is supposed to change on July 1, so whatever one I get, I'll make sure to get the updated guide.

Thanks and 73,

Loren

Loren, try http://www.hamradiolicenseexam.com/ its not free, same price as the ARRL study guides. I had already bought  the ARRL extra class study guide and found this. I signed up and was a extra class in 33 days with about 1 hour average per day. Easiest time I have had testing. The course makes it effortless. Its interactive, so do not share your account with anyone or it will screw you up.

ARRL Life Member|QRZ Life Member
KE6CT

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 09:18:40 AM »

Thanks and 73,

Loren

Loren, try http://www.hamradiolicenseexam.com/ its not free, same price as the ARRL study guides. I had already bought  the ARRL extra class study guide and found this. I signed up and was a extra class in 33 days with about 1 hour average per day. Easiest time I have had testing. The course makes it effortless. Its interactive, so do not share your account with anyone or it will screw you up.

I agree.  HamTestOnline is the way to go.  I took the Technician and General on July 9 and the Extra on July 14.  I passed all three with perfect scores.
N3DF

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 07:29:07 AM »

Hope you're making CW contacts and building CW speed so that you can put your forthcoming Extra privileges to good use.

Neil N3DF
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: