Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is the best Tech material for kids???  (Read 3670 times)
WA1BR

Ignore
« on: July 30, 2012, 09:49:07 AM »

My 6 year old daughter wants to become a ham!    Grin She will be turning 7 in August and I would like to buy her a book/ CD/ Software as a present.  What do you all recommend?  ARRL material, Gordo's material?  Just wondering if anyone else has kids who passed and what they recommend.
W3HF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 10:55:54 AM »

"Ride the Airwaves with Alfa and Zulu" was popular about 10 or so years ago, targeted at that "younger" crowd. I had a copy for my son--he was licensed at age 9. With changes in the question pool it no longer matches (exactly) the current test, but I'm sure some of the conceptual stuff is good, and there are "activity pages" that may be useful to keep your daughter's attention. It shouldn't be your only reference, though.

The book is out of print, but there are used copies available on Amazon and half.com, some as cheap as $0.01 (plus shipping)!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0965108805/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used
KE6CT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 07:59:42 PM »

This one looks pretty good. 

http://www.kb6nu.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/2010_Tech_Study_Guide.pdf
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 03:48:51 PM »

My 6 year old daughter wants to become a ham!    Grin She will be turning 7 in August and I would like to buy her a book/ CD/ Software as a present.  What do you all recommend?  ARRL material, Gordo's material?  Just wondering if anyone else has kids who passed and what they recommend.

When I was originally licensed at age 10 (let the general I had at 11 lapse when I was chasing skirts in college) my mom and dad, both hams got the 'Gordo' tapes for my sister and I.  She passed the novice at 9.  We both passed the tech a month later, and then got our generals all using the Gordon West tapes 6 months later.  There may be a better way out there now but they were very effective.  I still remember listening to those tapes on family car rides and quite frankly remembered enough to pass the Tech test last year to get back in without studying.  The General and Extra, I actually studied a week for before taking those tests  Grin

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: