Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How Close is Too Close?  (Read 1245 times)
KD8FYK

Ignore
« on: June 17, 2012, 12:12:12 PM »

Wanting to put a dipole up, but where I want to put it will put it within about 25 ft of a transformer on a telephone pole. Is this too close? Will I have too much noise from the transformer? What would be an acceptable distance if 25 ft. is too close? I never had to worry before at the old QTH as the electric was all underground. Any help is appreciated....73's Dave
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 01:58:21 PM »

I would say try it and see how it plays. The transformer itself really make no RFI unless it is malfunctioning. It is the power wires to and from it that act as a antenna for RFI generating devices attached to them.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 02:35:14 PM »

tip:  if your antenna system falls towards the transformer and 3300 volt local service high-line, it should be at a height that falls short of the oopsie by a couple feet.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 04:50:38 PM »

One end of my 40m dipole is about 20 ft. away from telephone pole transformer and about 10 ft. below it. Works fine and no noise at my qth.No ill efects from the power lines either.
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 08:10:37 PM »

The transformer itself really makes no RFI unless it is malfunctioning.

Precisely.

Transformers get all the blame, when it is actually all the other stuff on top of the power poles that are the real culprits.

KD8FYK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 12:47:25 PM »

O.K. Thanks for all the input......I will give it a try and see how it goes! 73's Dave
KD2CJJ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 07:12:41 AM »

I am very interested in your findings... I am in the same situation...

To the west of me (along back of house/property line) high power lines... to the south of me wire that connects to my house... at the intersection of both there is a transformer I would be 20 feet from the transformer and high power lines and 10 feet from the powerline coming into my house..

I have a really really bad area for antennas...

Mike
KD2CJJ
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: