Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: No contacts. Something I missed?  (Read 11798 times)
KK4CPH

Ignore
« on: June 17, 2012, 07:04:00 PM »

Wondering if I overlooked something simple in my setup.  I've sent "CQ test" numerous times with no response.  Tried working a few calls but the most I got was "QRZ?"  "AGN?"  Turned the TX on the SignaLink all the way up and hooked up a speaker to the monitor jack and I hear the data being transmitted.  Transmit light on the SL and Kenwood are both lit but don't seem to be getting out.  I switched to voice and got a 5 9 report into Rhode Island so I know my rig is working.  Any ideas?
Eric
STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 09:57:38 PM »

Hi Eric,

I am not sure what band or mode you are using, but I am assuming PSK31.
If you are using PSK31, the sideband you are using is irrelevant, but with other digimodes such as QPSK and others it is important.
Make sure you are using USB and PSK31, and ensure your audio drive to the transmitter is such that you are not overdriving the TX.
If the audio is up too high, you will create strong sidebands which cause interference and reduce legibility.

If you are using USB and PSK31, and still cannot get a QSO, it may be that your RIT/BFO is on, and your receive and transmit
frequency are slightly different.
PSK31 needs to be pretty closely matched in frequency, so ensure BFO/RIT is off.
Also, it may be a setting on your digimode program, but I am not familiar with cocomodem, so not sure about that.

Since you are decoding PSK31 (I assume), you are half way there, and it may just be that you are giving the transmitter too much drive.
Without more information, it is hard to give more advice - so good luck - you are almost there.

73 - Rob
KG4LMZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 06:16:56 AM »

If you're using a common mode like one of the PSK modes, you could try putting out a "CQ CQ KK4CPH KK4CPU" and monitor pskreporter.info to see if any of the active monitors pick up your signal.  Make sure to send your call twice following CQ or DE since some of the monitoring software requires seeing that to recognize you and add you to the list of reports.  That would at least give you and idea of whether you're getting out and in which directions.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 06:21:42 AM »

Wondering if I overlooked something simple in my setup.  I've sent "CQ test" numerous times with no response.  Tried working a few calls but the most I got was "QRZ?"  "AGN?"  Turned the TX on the SignaLink all the way up and hooked up a speaker to the monitor jack and I hear the data being transmitted.  Transmit light on the SL and Kenwood are both lit but don't seem to be getting out.  I switched to voice and got a 5 9 report into Rhode Island so I know my rig is working.  Any ideas?
Eric

I think you are very likely over driving transmit audio and your signal is distorted and not printing well on other end. Reduce audio drive and make sure you do not have speech processor enabled or using any other tx audio enhancement.  

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
KK4CPH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 07:11:38 AM »

Just got home and read all this.  Thanks everyone for your responses.  I'm using FLdigi on Linux.  Tuned to 14.070  Sorry I didn't give that info first.  I have the RIT turned off.  NB and ATT are also off.  I'll start all over with the transmit level on the SignaLink turned downed and send a few CQ's.  Didn't know about PSK reporter.  I'll check that out after I've sent a few calls.  Thanks again for the help.
Eric

AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 07:35:06 AM »

If your transmitter has a power control, turn it up to maximum. Then start with your Signalink Tx full CCW and as you transmit gradually turn it up until you get about 30-35W of RF output. There should be no ALC indication. That should give you the proper level to ensure transmission of a clean signal.
KK4CPH

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 09:44:54 AM »

Looking at PSKReporter, I've been "heard" by 3 stations although no one answered any of my CQ's.  At least now I know it's transmitting.  Here's what I did:  I turn the TX on the SL all the way CCW then slowly worked my way up.  Still didn't get any responses so I looked in the Kenwood manual and read about the 13pin acc plug.  It appears pin 11 (data input) can be controlled by the mic control. ( I didn't know that the mic gain would effect transmit, I thought it was all done thru the SL.)   I have it set at 10 so I turned it back to zero and slowly worked my way up.  It's at 4 and that's where I finally showed up on the report.  3 stations from 560-1035 miles.  Now just need to get into a QSO and see if I'm weak or splattering.  Thanks all for the help.  The learning continues...  Cool
Eric

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012, 04:13:03 PM »

I looked in the Kenwood manual and read about the 13pin acc plug.  It appears pin 11 (data input) can be controlled by the mic control.

Which rig you using??

All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
KK4CPH

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2012, 05:06:33 PM »

I looked in the Kenwood manual and read about the 13pin acc plug.  It appears pin 11 (data input) can be controlled by the mic control.

Which rig you using??

Kenwood TS-440S
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 08:51:48 AM »

Which rig you using??

Kenwood TS-440S

Are you seeing any ALC action when you are transmitting?

WB0FDJ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2012, 10:04:04 AM »

Eric
Hey, just passing by and read of your troubles here.
Something that is not clear from your posts: how are you measuring power output???
A lot of us use outboard SWR/wattmeters. It's nice, in cases like yours, to be able to confirm that you are indeed getting "X" watts output.
Your method of slowly increasing the mic gain, until your signal is captured by PSKreporter is ingenious but begs the question: what is your PO?
Reason I ask, you could have a perfect signal (i.e. not trip the ALC) and be read by PSKreporter and be running only a few watts.
Good luck.

DOC WB0FDJ

AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2012, 10:43:52 AM »

I agree... you need to be reading your power output on a meter in order to have any idea of what you are putting out. Its not all that difficult, but you do need a meter, either external or internal.
KK4CPH

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2012, 06:03:24 PM »

No ALC deflection.  Don't know how accurate the meter on the TS-440 is.  Ir shows 50 watts.  I"ll have to get a real power meter and measure it right.
N8HM

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2012, 09:58:49 AM »

Which rig you using??

Kenwood TS-440S

I couldn't get the rear input jack to work well on my TS-440S. I had to turn the mic gain all the way up to even get 20 watts out. I use the mic jack now and can run 100 watts if necessary with no ALC deflection.
KK4CPH

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2012, 02:56:43 PM »

Not to go off topic, but would this be ok for checking output?

http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-874

Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: