Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do I have enough computer for digital?  (Read 1961 times)
F8WBD

Ignore
« on: August 19, 2012, 08:38:19 AM »

I recently purchased an Acer Aspire One AO725-0899 essentially for e-mail and other simple tasks, nothing requiring sophicated high-tech specs.

Essential Specs are:
11.6" HD Widescreen CineCrystal™ LED-backlit Display
AMD Dual-Core C-60 Accelerated Processor 1.0GHz with TurboCORE Technology up to 1.33GHz
Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium
320GB Hard Drive
2GB DDR3 Memory
ATI Radeon™ HD 6290 Graphicswith 256MB of dedicated system memory
802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi CERTIFIED™
Built-in 0.3 Megapixel HD Webcam
Two built-in stereo speakers
2- USB 2.0 Ports
1- USB 3.0 Port
1- HDMI™ Port

So, reviewing all of the above, do you think that I have enough computer to get involved in something like WSPR or JT65? Am old cw operator with no digital experience. Thanks.

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 08:54:05 AM »

It should work but just do not Multi task it while doing it because you are light on CPU and RAM for OS. That series of processor is a low power CPU meant to compete with Intel Atom CPU used in Netbooks which are much less powerful that CPU's used in entry level full sized laptops today. They are optimized for low power drain not max performance. 

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
F8WBD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 12:36:11 PM »

Thanks for the input, John. I would not expect to multi-task while the notebook was in a digital session. I recognize it's limitations. Any ideas about a simple interface. Rigblaster etc. ? 

KE0CU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 01:29:30 PM »

I have tested the SignaLink USB with an even less powerful Acer One and Ham Radio Delux and it seems to work great.  Good luck!

Hank/ke0cu
STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 02:10:16 PM »

It will work, no problem.
The main area where digital modes becomes difficult is complex multifunction digital programs which may be resource heavy.

But if you use a program such as FLdigi for example, it will run many different digital modes without a problem.
You can use either the internal soundcard and a homebrew/commercial interface, or something like the USB-signalink.
The USB signalink is an external soundcard with a built in sound activated P.T.T.
You have USB2 ports to support it, so no problem.

But you could just use VOX on your rig and build a simple audio interface (2 volume potentiometers and two small audio transformers).
This will be a simple inexpensive way of getting your feet wet in digital modes and should work well too.
I use this method on an old TS430S, and run PSK31, Olivia etc without a problem on the internal soundcard.
I also use a USB-Signalink with an FT897D and it works very well - so there are multiple solutions.

Welcome to digimodes, hope to see you on the air soon.

73 - Rob
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 02:12:26 PM by STAYVERTICAL » Logged
F8WBD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 03:46:07 PM »

Thanks guys, I'm looking forward to taking my baby steps.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 04:54:43 PM »

Thanks for the input, John. I would not expect to multi-task while the notebook was in a digital session. I recognize it's limitations. Any ideas about a simple interface. Rigblaster etc. ? 

I use a Rig Blaster Plug n Play with MultiPSK (from your part of world) on a 6 year old laptop I rebuilt (faster CPU, more RAM and new HD) and it works well. While some will push Signal Link, the problem with it is that it has no positive PTT control as it depends on VOX keying in Signal Link adapter. I also use a cheap USB sound device for Digi that is the size of a ZIP stick so Plug n Play has its own sound device too. 

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2012, 05:58:29 PM »

I use an older Pentium 4, 3.00 Ghz with 504 MB of ram.

Operating software is XP Home Edition.

This computer is booted up and running 24/7 with the normal software operating plus the following

Ham Radio Deluxe
HRD Log Book
DM 780
JT65
Dimension 4
Weather Network software,
AVG
Network connection to the ISP.

Works fine for me and my digital modes operation.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: