Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PowerSDR 2.6.4 - Huge Disappointment  (Read 12523 times)
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2013, 09:29:52 PM »

"the Flex 5K will likely not see new features in PowerSDR unless they come by virtue of updates really targeted at 1500 & 3000 users"

Explain.
N4OI

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2013, 02:49:26 AM »

.... Post a photo of a project and not mention equipment use to make it and you'll get all kinds of positive comments. But, add that you did it with a low cost table saw, then you'll be told how your work would be better if you used a top of the line cabinet saw....

I have built some very nice furniture using only 18th century hand tools...  I guess I will need to stick with my Ten-Tec Century 21 to avoid any bashing... (it is the 21st century, after all.... 

73 ES GOD BLESS U ES URS DE KEN N4OI  Grin

NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2013, 08:45:10 AM »

"the Flex 5K will likely not see new features in PowerSDR unless they come by virtue of updates really targeted at 1500 & 3000 users"

Explain.

Whats to explain?  Do you know of any new development specifically targeted at new features for the 5K?  Unless the price is dropped significantly the 6500 will likely be the mid range radio.  The lower models have a different price point that will allow them still to be viable selling products for a little while longer.  Still though, I predict we will see more compettion coming soon that will make those less attractive.

As an SDR the Flex 5K has pretty much matured, it has the basic software covered and is end of marketing life.  Most Flex 5Ks sold now will be on the used market.

Of course this is merely my humble opinion and not based on any facts.

As a current active Flex 5K user I am not really expecting anything new for that radio.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 09:09:07 AM by NI0Z » Logged

NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2013, 09:53:38 AM »

All in the spirit of being humble and keeping it all real, including being able to poke fun at oneself, I have to confess I added another ferrite bead this weekend!  Smiley 

I couldnt add this comment to my PowerSDR thread since it was locked because folks couldnt behave.  Anyways, I got a very nice Green Heron Rotator Controller and had to put a bead on the USB cable.  You can read more about it on my blog if your interested!

Lol, looks like I need to buy some more beads for USB cables!

W4HIJ

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2013, 02:46:28 PM »

Explain.

Whats to explain?  Do you know of any new development specifically targeted at new features for the 5K?  Unless the price is dropped significantly the 6500 will likely be the mid range radio.  The lower models have a different price point that will allow them still to be viable selling products for a little while longer.  Still though, I predict we will see more compettion coming soon that will make those less attractive.

As an SDR the Flex 5K has pretty much matured, it has the basic software covered and is end of marketing life.  Most Flex 5Ks sold now will be on the used market.

Of course this is merely my humble opinion and not based on any facts.

As a current active Flex 5K user I am not really expecting anything new for that radio.
If I can ever afford one on the used market, I would truly like to have a fully decked out 5k including the VHF/UHF module. It's ashamed they could not keep producing those. I know they were criticized but I believe it was some sort of parts supply issue that bit them. I still like the concept of an  all in one rig that covers up into the uHF range. I had a TS-2000X which actually covered 1.2 Ghz as well. It was a nice radio except for the birdies.
Speaking of VHF/UHF  coverage though, is the 6700/6500 going to have the ability to use  transverters in a full duplex configuration? Seems like it would.
Michael, W4HIJ
KC4MOP

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2013, 03:30:35 AM »

The latest Flex software I have is 2.3.5. No matter what version I have used I am still disappointed in the SAM (synchronous detector) operation. It only slightly reduces selective fading distortion.
People swear by Sherwood and the SE 3 that it is the only and the best. Yes, I like to listen to Short wave radio and music other than Ham QSO's.
I do not know if it is more of an hardware or software issue for SAM

As for interference in the pass band, you can activate the TNF and by right clicking on the offending signal/hetrodyne, it magically disappears.

Maybe my lack of performance may be hardware, as I have the lowly old SDR 1000. The wallet will not allow anything higher priced/better. Still plenty of those showing up used and still magic to me.
Fred
AB2YC

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2013, 11:41:17 AM »

Downloaded the update. Started the install on my Win7 64 bit machine. Popped the top on a cold Shiner. Next thing you know, it was time to reboot. Barely got two sips in. Restart, turn on Flex 3000. Sip. Drivers loaded, optimization started. Sip. Start 2.6.4. Firmware update. Sip. Done. Start PowerSDR 2.6.4, and a brand new radio. Start PowerSDR 2.6.4. Enjoy.

Really? Could Flex possibly allow us at least time to enjoy one whole beer during the upgrade?

Good job.

I would say that is more an issue with Windows Architecture than with Flex.

NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2013, 12:08:11 PM »

Just gulp the Shiner, you wont care about the wait or windoze as much! Smiley

K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2013, 08:28:17 PM »

rgr that
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: