Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sold my Flex 3000  (Read 26239 times)
K6LO

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2012, 05:50:13 PM »

Stan Wrote:

..Baloney. I have held a ham license for 52 years. I am quite fit to hold it and do not need a newbie ham foreigner telling me different....

Really?  Wow.  On behalf of U.S. amateurs.  I apologize. 

KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2012, 04:36:41 AM »

Stan and Gene have nothing better to do but gripe on the SDR forum and fan flames. Never had a stitch of trouble with my 3000. Kind of fun to read them sometimes, I must admit.  Many of todays hams are just too turn-key and lazy to deal with today's complex radios  Flex or otherwise. Painful truth.

And what are you doing?   Obviously you have nothing better to do than fan flames in this thread.  At least we don't hide like a little sniveling coward behind stupid anonymous names like "RFDOG" and chuck rocks at people with legitimate gripes.  Painful truth.

For your education (which I am sure will be lost on you) Flex radios are not complex radios.  They just have many problems related to them being tethered to a PC and related to the lack of care that the manufacturer had given to RFI and other issues.  I could forgive this if they were less expensive.  But when they cost as much or more as other radios on the market that perform as well or better, I can't excuse the basic problems that exist with them.

Gene
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 04:46:55 AM by KE5JPP » Logged
KC4MOP

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2012, 04:06:09 AM »

Stan and Gene have nothing better to do but gripe on the SDR forum and fan flames. Never had a stitch of trouble with my 3000. Kind of fun to read them sometimes, I must admit.  Many of todays hams are just too turn-key and lazy to deal with today's complex radios  Flex or otherwise. Painful truth.
Thanks for the sanity check.
I was on another forum that Flex owners are Smugg. It is really a pretty neat concept.
I did read a Flex forum about the 3000 and it seems that there were the same issues as mentioned here. And it seems that most people are forgetting that when a computer gets involved then you have a new set of problems.
A lot of Hams aren't really up to speed with a modern computer and try to use a slow processor.
And RFI in the shack will shut down analog radios as it will to an SDR.

Fred

W4VR

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2012, 02:08:48 PM »

It's a work in progress, just like any other radio on the market these days!  Same thing applies to automobiles and computers.
K6LLO

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2013, 07:13:23 AM »

I have had flex 3000 for over two years.  The only problems I have had have been computer related- stuttering audio, lock-ups, etc.  Isolating the computer, using plenty of ferrite, having enough CPU and memory has stopped all problems. When CPU usage on flex software  shows any more than 70%, you are likely to have some problems.  I also found that any background programs such as virus software, etc which variable uses resources can cause problems.  I used a junkbox computer with nothing but the software running- no more stuttering, lockups, etc for over a year.  Just my comments.
W4HIJ

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2013, 01:16:48 PM »

Funny, I had a Flex 5K running into a Kenwood TL-922A with nothing but the stock ferrites on the firewire cable and two extra ones on my PC speakers and never once experienced RFI issues. See, I solved my RFI issues with the TL-922A way back when it was being driven by the Kenwood TS-450  that I inherited from my Dad along with the amp. Never once since then did they reappear, even with the 5K. Wonder how to explain that one?  Oh yeah, I must be a liar right? Maybe I'm just lucky or something. Hmmnn...wish that luck would carry over to the lottery where I could afford a 6700 and a new tower!!  Cheesy Cheesy
Michael, W4HIJ
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 01:52:21 PM by W4HIJ » Logged
SWL2002

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2013, 02:30:36 AM »

Funny, I had a Flex 5K running into a Kenwood TL-922A with nothing but the stock ferrites on the firewire cable and two extra ones on my PC speakers and never once experienced RFI issues. See, I solved my RFI issues with the TL-922A way back when it was being driven by the Kenwood TS-450  that I inherited from my Dad along with the amp. Never once since then did they reappear, even with the 5K. Wonder how to explain that one?  Oh yeah, I must be a liar right? Maybe I'm just lucky or something. Hmmnn...wish that luck would carry over to the lottery where I could afford a 6700 and a new tower!!  Cheesy Cheesy
Michael, W4HIJ

What a mental case.
AB4D

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2013, 10:23:40 AM »

Michael, W4HIJ

What a mental case.

Why is he a mental case?  I recently picked up a used 5K, I also don't have any RFI issues at my station that affect the operation of the Flex 5000a/Power SDR.  Maybe it's the Alpha 9500 I use with the Flex. Grin  Perhaps some of us just have better station installations than others?  I'm not sure, but there are many happy owners of Flex 3000s and 5000s out there using them everyday, compared to the same few on here who keep recycling the same old complaints Cry

K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2013, 10:46:34 AM »

I've never actually connected powered speakers directly to my Flex 3000. I use the computer's audio system. I did put some headphones on the speaker jack once, and it worked OK. I prefer the computer's audio system where I can plug whichever sort of speakers, headset or headphones in, whether USB or analog. Much more versatility.
W4HIJ

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2013, 06:42:55 PM »

Michael, W4HIJ

What a mental case.

Why is he a mental case?  I recently picked up a used 5K, I also don't have any RFI issues at my station that affect the operation of the Flex 5000a/Power SDR.  Maybe it's the Alpha 9500 I use with the Flex. Grin  Perhaps some of us just have better station installations than others?  I'm not sure, but there are many happy owners of Flex 3000s and 5000s out there using them everyday, compared to the same few on here who keep recycling the same old complaints Cry

But ya see, that's not supposed to happen! Because a few disgruntled Flex users, most with the emotional maturity of three year olds, had issues then EVERYBODY is supposed to have them! If you're not having them then you must be a liar. On second thought, scratch the comment about three year olds.... I wouldn't want to do the poor children a disservice but comparing the whining sniveling little Flex bashers to them. Roll Eyes
Michael, W4HIJ
KA4KOE

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2013, 01:31:44 PM »

I have a 500W SG-500 amplifier right next to my Flex 5000a. I've not experienced a single problem with RFI to the 5K.

PAN
N9KX

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2013, 04:41:08 PM »

Some of the disparaging comments found here regarding flex radios being the source of RF problems are a bit humorous and down right ridiculous. Yes, I own a 3000... bought a late serial number unit used and have owned it for over a year with no problems. I never had RF problems before the flex or now... even with my legal limit amp running full tilt. Maybe that's because I designed my station according to the best practices found in the handbook - grounding, power, cabling etc... I don't know. The second important thing to remember is that the manufacture has minimum computer hardware requirements for a reason... and if you don't abide by them you'll have a bad experience. If you try to use an old junk computer then you won't be happy with the radio. PowerSDR will lockup... audio problems and all sorts of weird anomalies. Use a PC with a high end dual core CPU, 4GB memory min. and a good fire wire adapter from their list... then everything works as it should for me and you.
Good Luck!

73's
N9KX

W4HIJ

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2013, 05:20:17 PM »

KA4KOE, N9KX.... You guys are obviously liars! Cheesy Cheesy But seriously the large majority of  Flex users don't have RFI issues and ANY brand of radio can have RFI issues. Adding a PC into the mix certainly complicates things a bit but as long as you do your due diligence in station setup and design, you can eliminate any issues as the three of us and countless others have proven.
Michael, W4HIJ
N9KX

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2013, 12:09:43 AM »

W4HIJ -

I had a positive Flex experience and shared it...

It's no skin off my backside if you believe me or not, so here is a small dose of reality for you...

Someone isn't a liar just because their experience is different than yours. The fact of the matter is they may know more about the subject matter than you. Ask questions and find out why others were successful and you weren't. That light bulb might just turn on for you. Also, try to put some effort into formulating an intelligent response that supports your side of an argument without the insults. You will find you're received much better.

W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2013, 03:15:45 AM »

So the bottom line appears to be that some hams like me that are not completely computer literate or savy should shy away from Flex radio,I'll take that as good advice and stick with my K-1.Thanks for the warning and entertainment.
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: