Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FCC dismissed vanity call application. Why?  (Read 5454 times)
WX2S

Ignore
« on: June 18, 2012, 11:56:24 AM »

Hi, all,

With a shiny new Extra license in hand, I applied for a vanity call. Today I learned that the FCC had dismissed it. Reason given: Call sign not available.

AFAICT, it is. In fact, I gave a list of five, all of which were available.

What gives?

- Steve (KF2IO, and likely to stay that way...)

73, - Steve WX2S.
I subscribe to the DX Code of Conduct. http://dx-code.org/
KG6AF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 12:50:27 PM »

The call signs you tried to get are 2-by-1 and start with KL or WL.  Those calls are reserved for Extra Class hams in Alaska.

Here's where you can find more info:

http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/index.htm?job=call_signs_1&id=amateur
KG6AF

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 12:52:31 PM »

Oops, just noticed that you tried an NL 2-by-1, as well; that falls into the same category.
WX2S

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 01:20:29 PM »

Crud. OK, thanks for the explanation.

- Steve (KF2IO.)

73, - Steve WX2S.
I subscribe to the DX Code of Conduct. http://dx-code.org/
K0YHV

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 04:22:02 PM »

The call signs you tried to get are 2-by-1 and start with KL or WL.  Those calls are reserved for Extra Class hams in Alaska.

Here's where you can find more info:

http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/index.htm?job=call_signs_1&id=amateur

Actually, those are reserved for hams with a MAILING address in Alaska.  The station doesn't actually have to be in Alaska (HINT HINT).
W9KEY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 02:51:00 PM »

Huh i can't figure out if you are a lawyer or a politician?    Grin

maybe i am old & crusty, but it is nice to see you have a 0 callsign and live in Iowa
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 02:52:46 PM by K9AIM » Logged
AB2RC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 05:19:09 AM »

Actually, those are reserved for hams with a MAILING address in Alaska.  The station doesn't actually have to be in Alaska (HINT HINT).

Well....

You could get a PO Box & remailing service out of Alaska but that would enable other stations to get credit for Alaska in DXCC & WAS, as there would be no way to show that the original poster's station was actually in NJ instead of where the license says he should be.

--
Alex/AB2RC
http://www.ab2rc.net
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 07:50:28 AM »

Remember the old days when you used to have to get a new callsign when you moved
from one district to another?  Of course then you often could get a new prefix with
your old suffix. 
But that was long ago.

Allen KA5N
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2012, 07:53:19 AM »

Well....

You could get a PO Box & remailing service out of Alaska but that would enable other stations to get credit for Alaska in DXCC & WAS, as there would be no way to show that the original poster's station was actually in NJ instead of where the license says he should be.

NOT TRUE!!!!

FCC simply requires a mailing address. Where the station is actually located depends on the licensee, and can be anywhere in US territory.

DXCC and WAS do not go by FCC license info. They go by either paper QSL or LOTW.

With a paper QSL, you have to indicate the station location for it to count for the award.

With LOTW, you have to create a location file that identifies where the station actually is. LOTW allows multiple location files, for the ham who has multiple station locations. For example, if I had a place at the NJ beach, and operated from there, I'd create another LOTW location file for those contacts.

In the case of remotely-controlled stations, Echolink, etc., what matters is where the radio stuff is, not where the control operator is.  

---

All that said, the idea of using an Alaskan PO box to get a call that one otherwise can't get is against the spirit of the rules, IMHO.

73 de Jim, N2EY
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2012, 07:54:51 AM »

Remember the old days when you used to have to get a new callsign when you moved
from one district to another?  Of course then you often could get a new prefix with
your old suffix. 
But that was long ago.

Yep - 35 years or more, IIRC.

The reason they stopped it was because hams who moved across district lines complained about changing calls. Plus it really strapped the vanity system.

73 de Jim, N2EY
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: