Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vertical in tree  (Read 1053 times)
KB3FFH

Ignore
« on: June 19, 2012, 11:41:24 AM »

Has anyone ever put a vertical up in a tree and how did it work. I live in an hoa so this is one idea I have. Thanks
N3JBH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 11:57:09 AM »

What exactly do you mean in a tree?  You mean on the tree? hanging from a tree? Very near the tree? I not sure i understand the question. Also what band or bands etc.
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 12:03:37 PM »

A lot of hams have hung vertical wires from a tree for HF.  They can be almost invisible.

Hiding a VHF vertical in a tree shouldn't be difficult if you build it from thin enough
elements.

I've also seen CB antennas mounted on a topped pine tree at 120 feet or so off
the ground.  That puts a lot of mechanical stress on the antenna as the tree
sways (though not as much as on a ship) and it may be inconvenient to run
wire radials from that point.

If you are talking about mounting a larger HF vertical in a tree, that gets a bit more
complicated, because the trunk will run parallel to the antenna for some distance.
That will change the tuning and reduce the efficiency.  It probably could be done.

Or you could ground-mount the vertical and decorate it with artificial branches to
make it look like a tree.
W6PJB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 06:14:21 PM »

I also live in an HOA with antenna restrictions.  After giving up on indoor and attic antennas (too much QRM and RFI), I homebrewed a 1/4-wave, multiband wire vertical in an 18' Sycamore tree.  With the wire & insulators spray painted a camo color, no one on the neighborhood ever knew it was there.  But in the 2 years I has the antenna up, I worked all US states and territories and 120+ countries - all with 100w.  If you want details let me know.

Pat, W6PJB
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 08:09:29 PM »

I have done it several times, and most of the time the results were fine.  I hoisted a 2M/440 vertical way up into a 60 ft tree, and the performance was great!  Also, a fellow about a mile from me did the same with a HF vertical, with very good results.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: