Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where Is It Safe To Operate the HF Bands During Field Day ?  (Read 5342 times)
WA3MOJ

Ignore
« on: June 19, 2012, 06:16:50 PM »

I will not be participating in Field Day and wanted to know where it is safe to operate on
the HF Bands without interfering with Field Day activities ??

10M - 80M

N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 07:03:40 PM »

WARC bands are contest-free (or should be)

Other than that, FD is (one of) the only contests that use all modes, all bands.

Mike N2MG
WA3MOJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 07:14:36 PM »

Sorry, I'm recently back into ham radio after an 18 year absence.
Please explain what is WARC and FD.

Thank you.

N7SMI

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 07:56:07 PM »

WARC bands are 12m, 17m, and 30m - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WARC_bands

FD is "Field Day".

You are free to call anywhere you want, but the non-WARC bands will be pretty busy.
W3HKK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 07:59:08 PM »

12M, 17M, 30M AND 60M
WA3MOJ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 08:01:32 PM »

FD is "Field Day".

You are free to call anywhere you want, but the non-WARC bands will be pretty busy.

Thank you for the replies.  
Is there any other ham radio etiquette that should be observed?
What are the hours of operation for FD ?
On which bands is phone permitted?
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 05:46:22 AM »

>>What are the hours of operation for FD ?
>>On which bands is phone permitted?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=arrl+field+day+rules
K0YHV

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 11:01:37 AM »

You can operate on any frequency that isn't presently in use. Don't let Field Day chase you off the bands.  Find an open frequency on any band, and call CQ.  Besides, Field Day isn't a contest.
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 11:50:02 AM »

FD is "Field Day".

Thank you for the replies.  
Is there any other ham radio etiquette that should be observed?
What are the hours of operation for FD ?
On which bands is phone permitted?

Why not work FD from your home station and pass out a 1A exchange (I think 1A is home AC power mains - check the rules). Remember you don't have to be 'out in the field' to participate in FD. You'll have fun and possibly give some new ham his or her first QSO and that in itself is well worth the exercise. I still have the QSL card from my very first QSO as a nervous Novice from years ago. I was shaking so bad I could not even send CW for a few seconds until my Elmer calmed me down and got me back on track. I've participated in many, many FDs since then and really enjoy the sparkle in the eyes of a new young ham when they realize they just communicate with 'wireless' with another person somewhere far off. Of course these days, they all have cellphones and it isn't as much of a thrill as it used to be but that is a different story.

Get in there and have fun. That's what it is all about!!!

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
KS2G

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 07:13:35 PM »

W5DQ wrote: Why not work FD from your home station and pass out a 1A exchange (I think 1A is home AC power mains - check the rules).

That's not correct.

Home stations are Class D -- so a single transmitter home station would provide the exchange "1D" plus the station's ARRL Section.

Original poster WA3MOJ is in Allentown, PA -- so his ARRL Section is Western Pennsylvania (WPA).

Mel - KS2G
WA3MOJ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2012, 03:52:47 AM »

Thank you so much for all the thoughtful replies.  It's nice to know the ham community enjoys
helping other hams, especially guys like me who've been out of it for a while.

I will try some QSO's during field day. 

I've never participated in a Field Day, so all I say is my "...callsign, signal report, exchange is 1D and ARRL Section is Western PA."  Right?

Thank you.
NB3R

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2012, 04:34:26 AM »

Hi George,

If you live in Allentown your ARRL section is Eastern Pennsylvania.  As mentioned earlier if you are using your home station on commercial power, your exchange would be 1 Delta, Echo Papa Alpha.

There are two clubs in the Allentown area that will be operating field day.  The group from the Lehigh Amateur Radio Club (W3OI) will be operating 1A (one radio, emergency power) at 1900 Brickyard Road in Allentown  (South Whitehall)

The Delaware Lehigh Amateur Radio Club (DLARC -W3OK) will be running 6A from Louise Moore Park 151 Country Club Rd Easton, PA 18045.  Google map can be found here. http://g.co/maps/hhh7r 

I will be operating from the DLARC site and invite you to join us and put a few Qs in the log.

Have fun,
Dave,
NB3R

WA3MOJ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2012, 05:50:48 AM »

Hi George,

If you live in Allentown your ARRL section is Eastern Pennsylvania.  As mentioned earlier if you are using your home station on commercial power, your exchange would be 1 Delta, Echo Papa Alpha.

There are two clubs in the Allentown area that will be operating field day.  The group from the Lehigh Amateur Radio Club (W3OI) will be operating 1A (one radio, emergency power) at 1900 Brickyard Road in Allentown  (South Whitehall)

The Delaware Lehigh Amateur Radio Club (DLARC -W3OK) will be running 6A from Louise Moore Park 151 Country Club Rd Easton, PA 18045.  Google map can be found here. http://g.co/maps/hhh7r 

I will be operating from the DLARC site and invite you to join us and put a few Qs in the log.

Have fun,
Dave,
NB3R

Hi Dave,
Thanks for the information, it is very much appreciated.  Would love to join you guys, but maybe another time.
Me and XYL are going away this weekend on a camping trip, so I'll put in a few Q's from the camper rig. 
Wouldn't mind coming to a few club meetings.  Where can I get info?
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2012, 08:02:21 PM »

W5DQ wrote: Why not work FD from your home station and pass out a 1A exchange (I think 1A is home AC power mains - check the rules).

That's not correct.

Home stations are Class D -- so a single transmitter home station would provide the exchange "1D" plus the station's ARRL Section.

Original poster WA3MOJ is in Allentown, PA -- so his ARRL Section is Western Pennsylvania (WPA).

Mel - KS2G

That is why I said "I think 1A is home AC power mains - check the rules".

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
NB3R

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2012, 04:33:43 AM »

Hi George,

Enjoy your trip and hope to work you during Field Day. 

The Delaware Lehigh Amateur Radio Club (aka DLARC) meets at the Bethlehem Vo-Tech School the first Thursday of every month.  The address is 3300 Chester Ave in Bethlehem.  Our website www.dlarc.org  Our repeater is on 146.70 with a PL of 151.4

The club has 180 members with a diverse interest in amateur radio.  We also have a well equipped club station, with modern rigs, amplifiers and antennas.  We meet each Wednesday at the club station, "The Milk House", around 7pm. 

The Milk House is located in the Gracedale complex behind the Graystone Building. 14 Gracedale Ave Nazareth, PA 18064.  Look for the 100ft tower behind the building.

Hope to see you at the The Milk House or the next club meeting.

Dave - NB3R
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: