Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Postal Money Order only  (Read 32393 times)
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2012, 06:47:29 PM »

...Called Postal Inspector got reply "prove he did not mail it to you" and "do you have a written contract" and "investigation of anything under $5,000 is waste of taxpayer money"....

If you sell something and don't (1) insure that parcel and (2) require proof of delivery, I don't blame the PI one bit for their answers.  Insurance and POD doesn't cost that much, and if you don't get them with the way things are today, that's your problem. 

If you did have those things, the Post Office is REQUIRED to investigate, because that is part of the agreement with the purchase of insurance and POD.
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2012, 03:47:20 AM »

...Called Postal Inspector got reply "prove he did not mail it to you" and "do you have a written contract" and "investigation of anything under $5,000 is waste of taxpayer money"....

If you sell something and don't (1) insure that parcel and (2) require proof of delivery, I don't blame the PI one bit for their answers.  Insurance and POD doesn't cost that much, and if you don't get them with the way things are today, that's your problem.  

If you did have those things, the Post Office is REQUIRED to investigate, because that is part of the agreement with the purchase of insurance and POD.

Your defense of Postal Money Order Only is growing quite thin at this point.  Roll Eyes  With Paypal you have a good chance of recovering your money if the item does not ship.  In that case, Paypal will ask the seller to provide proof of shipping.  If they have not shipped, you get your money back.  With a Postal Money Order, good luck getting the Post Office to do ANYTHING about it.  It's not going to happen for the little guy.

Gene
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 03:51:25 AM by KE5JPP » Logged
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2012, 05:50:42 AM »

Your defense of Postal Money Order Only is growing quite thin at this point.  Roll Eyes  With Paypal you have a good chance of recovering your money if the item does not ship.  In that case, Paypal will ask the seller to provide proof of shipping.  If they have not shipped, you get your money back.  With a Postal Money Order, good luck getting the Post Office to do ANYTHING about it.  It's not going to happen for the little guy.

Growing thin?  Only by your views.

Paypal has flaws, more so than postal money orders do.  Paypal isn't regulated at all by banking laws while postal money orders are--and are further regulated by postal laws.

With PayPal, the buyer may well have protections as you say, but the seller can be quite literally ripped off--just from the word of the buyer.  At any rate, if there is a problem, the seller can well have their money held for an indefinite period WITH NO RECOURSE even though he shipped the merchandise.

That is what I'm getting at--the SELLER is usually the one who gets the shaft, and that is why when selling, the postal money order is by far the safer.  I've had it happen to me when I did use PayPal.  I bought the signature for delivery option, insured the parcel--and had the buyer claim non-delivery even though there was a signed delivery receipt!  I still lost my money--and my goods.

So don't preach to me that PayPal is better.  I'll argue the opposite till hell freezes over--and then beyond that!

« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 05:55:11 AM by K1CJS » Logged
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2012, 03:20:14 PM »

Your defense of Postal Money Order Only is growing quite thin at this point.  Roll Eyes  With Paypal you have a good chance of recovering your money if the item does not ship.  In that case, Paypal will ask the seller to provide proof of shipping.  If they have not shipped, you get your money back.  With a Postal Money Order, good luck getting the Post Office to do ANYTHING about it.  It's not going to happen for the little guy.

Growing thin?  Only by your views.

Paypal has flaws, more so than postal money orders do.  Paypal isn't regulated at all by banking laws while postal money orders are--and are further regulated by postal laws.

With PayPal, the buyer may well have protections as you say, but the seller can be quite literally ripped off--just from the word of the buyer.  At any rate, if there is a problem, the seller can well have their money held for an indefinite period WITH NO RECOURSE even though he shipped the merchandise.

That is what I'm getting at--the SELLER is usually the one who gets the shaft, and that is why when selling, the postal money order is by far the safer.  I've had it happen to me when I did use PayPal.  I bought the signature for delivery option, insured the parcel--and had the buyer claim non-delivery even though there was a signed delivery receipt!  I still lost my money--and my goods.

So don't preach to me that PayPal is better.  I'll argue the opposite till hell freezes over--and then beyond that!

More like embellish or lie, as many people do who are disgruntled at Paypal.  Roll Eyes  If someone reports that the item has not shipped, Paypal will put a temporary hold on the funds and ask you to provide proof of shipping.  Once they have proof that you have shipped, the funds are released.  If you have not shipped, then the money is returned to the buyer.   I had a few guy's try to say that I did not ship an item and this is exactly what happened.  I provided the tracking number for shipping and the funds were released in a maximum of two days from when the hold was placed on them.  This is fair to both the seller and buyer.  As a SELLER I have never gotten the shaft from Paypal in the many years and many transactions I have had with them.  On the contrary, Paypal has protected me from dishonest buyers.

Gene
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 03:22:39 PM by KE5JPP » Logged
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2012, 04:20:31 AM »

Your experience differs greatly from the one I had.  Also you're pushing the envelope with your thinly veiled accusations--so lets just let the matter stop here.  My opinion of PayPal vs. PO money order isn't going to change just as yours won't.  I still don't trust them like I trust Post Office Money Orders, because of my experience with them, and will continue to say so at every opportunity I have.  If you want to sell your soul to the devil, that's your prerogative.  Fini.
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2012, 04:55:08 AM »

Your experience differs greatly from the one I had.  Also you're pushing the envelope with your thinly veiled accusations--so lets just let the matter stop here.  My opinion of PayPal vs. PO money order isn't going to change just as yours won't.  I still don't trust them like I trust Post Office Money Orders, because of my experience with them, and will continue to say so at every opportunity I have.  If you want to sell your soul to the devil, that's your prerogative.  Fini.

If you want to risk being unprotected by foolishly requiring postal money orders only, that is your prerogative.  

I guess we will have to agree to disagree.  Fini.

Gene
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 05:36:25 AM by KE5JPP » Logged
W1RC

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2012, 12:18:48 PM »

I too highly prefer a USPS money order because they are like cash for the seller while offering recourse for the buyer.  Scans involving PMOs are Federal.  That being said I have ceen counterfeit USPS PMOs but the PO has a book of "bad" numbers and since they are high security documents bad PMOs are detectable.

Michael, W1RC
N9LCD

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: August 23, 2012, 08:18:05 PM »

ANYTHING can be counterfeited if somebody wants to try hard enough.

One good things about a postal money order is that your post office can verify the validity of a money order even if the window clerk doesn't have enough funds to cash it!

SOLUTION:  Why not ask for payment in unrolled coins.  I haven't heard of anybody counterfeiting quarters lately.  Besides a $500 bag of quarters is good for doing arm curls! 

N9LCD
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2012, 02:56:13 AM »

ANYTHING can be counterfeited if somebody wants to try hard enough.

One good things about a postal money order is that your post office can verify the validity of a money order even if the window clerk doesn't have enough funds to cash it!

SOLUTION:  Why not ask for payment in unrolled coins.  I haven't heard of anybody counterfeiting quarters lately.  Besides a $500 bag of quarters is good for doing arm curls! 

N9LCD

How about accepting only gold as payment?   Roll Eyes

Gene
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: August 24, 2012, 04:31:53 AM »

...One good things about a postal money order is that your post office can verify the validity of a money order even if the window clerk doesn't have enough funds to cash it!...

Which is why I trust them (PO money orders) a heck of a lot more than I will PayPal--and their methods of operation.  BTW, you just repeated my original post!  73!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 04:35:14 AM by K1CJS » Logged
N9LCD

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: August 25, 2012, 09:09:57 AM »

Gene:

Good idea if the deal comes close to the value of an available bullion bar.

But even gold bullion bars have been counterfeited.  One of the banks in LaLa land got burned for millions a couple of years ago.  Some crooked jewelry manufacturer put up gold bars as collateral. The bars weren't 99.99% gold like they were stamped; they were about 50% gold.

Jerry

N9LCD

Roll Eyes   
PBPP

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2012, 04:59:03 PM »

I always ask the seller if he/she will accept a USPS Money Order.

Here are the advantages for the seller:
1) You can cash it at the Post Office before mailing the item.
2) No PayPal fees.
3) No waiting for PayPal funds to clear.
4) Saves a trip to the bank and you're going to the Post Office anyway !

Never had a seller refuse. - Just my $.02

~ Mitch ~

P.S. - Didn't read the entire thread, so apologies if I've repeated anything. Grin
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 05:03:55 PM by PBPP » Logged
N9LCD

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2012, 08:32:18 AM »

NO payment method is perfect!

Any payment method can be manipulated to your disadvantage if your counter party tries hard enough!

You have to:

1  Know your counter party.  A phone call helps.
2  Know your payment medium.   What are its characteristics?  What is it supposed to look?
3  Take your time.  Don't rush.
4  Get "expert" advice if you don't know.
5  Stop if you don't know what you're doing.
Think!

ETERNAL VIGILANCE OR ETERNAL REGRET!

N9LCD     
N7RST

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: September 13, 2012, 08:58:50 AM »

Have to admit, I prefer it. 
1. Paypal charges too many fees
2. UPS and Fed Ex charge too much shipping cost typically.
3. Money orders can be canceled right after mailed and you don't know.
4. Fake Money orders, Cashier's checks, etc. are out there thanks to the high resolution of printers these days.
5. I can take the parcel to the USPS, cash the USPS MO, if okay, the box ships, if a problem, I walk out with my item still in my possession...

Yeah, I like USPS money orders...
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: September 16, 2012, 06:51:27 AM »

....I can take the parcel to the USPS, cash the USPS MO, if okay, the box ships, if a problem, I walk out with my item still in my possession....

BINGO!  There's the best reason.  73!
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: