Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Postal Money Order only  (Read 29954 times)
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2012, 05:48:56 AM »

"Whether it's condoned by PP or not, it's pretty much assumed that with PP the buyer will eat the seller's fees."

The buyer ALWAYS eats all fees in actuality. The buyer is the only party to the transaction that has the money  Grin

What a PayPal seller (direct credit card merchants too, I think) agrees to is that you won't charge PayPal (or credit card) buyers more for using those services. What you can do is raise the cost to everyone by the anticipated fee. If the buyer uses PayPal then you break even. If the buyer uses cash then you pocket some extra money. What payPal and credit card companies are trying to do is to prevent the merchants from discourage use of those financial services by openly making the buyer pay an additional fee.
AC2Q

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2012, 05:31:35 AM »

Anyone else tired of sellers who only want a Postal Money Order for payment?  Let's see, the government (which runs the post office) is 16 trillion dollars in debt.  You trust a payment backed by them more than a MO from my bank which is required by law to be solvent? 

First off, you need to get your facts straight. The Post Office is only "in debt" because of stupid legislation Congress passed.

Secondly, a Postal Money Order is the ONLY payment method where there is no "clawback" feature.

Lastly, ANY payment method in U.S. Dollars is backed by "The full faith and credit of the United States". If you don't think the US is solvent, then you have a quandry. Every time the Euro sneezes, people buy......U.S. Treasuries =0)

So your arguement doesn't hold H2O.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2012, 06:18:49 AM »

That paypal agreement about the seller not passing on the fees to the buyer is just so much hogwash.  In reality, most pass on those fees anyway by jacking up the price they're asking by the amount of the fee--plus a little extra.  Paypal rules are just so many words on paper--Paypal has proven that time and again.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2012, 12:24:22 PM »

It's not illegal or violating the agreements to jack up the item cost to cover PayPal, Visa, MasterCard, or whatever fees as long as you charge the same price to everyone including cash customers.
KB5ZSM

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2012, 11:37:09 PM »

Sorry paypal sellers but I will not get involved with on-line transactions. After 35 years of working with computers, I still don't trust the security nor do I trust paypal or a seller I don't know. Offer me the option of a PMO and we can talk turkey and get to know one another but forget the paypal. The paypal server may be secure but what about my computer or all of the servers between my computer and the paypal server (all weak links in the system). But if your going to insist on only accepting paypal, it also makes me wonder why your in such a huge hurry to unload your item and get my money. It could turn out to be a piece of junk for all I know. I think we should have a seller rating system sort of like the one ebay has.
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2012, 03:35:48 AM »

After 35 years of working with computers, I...

...have learned nothing.  I am still a technophobe. Roll Eyes

Gene
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2012, 06:15:36 AM »

Money Order:
1) You drive to the post office to purchase and mail the money order.
2) I drive to the post office to get and cash your money order. That may require more than one trip based on the amount of the money order and the available cash at the post office.
3) I box up your order and drive back to the post office to mail it.

PayPal:
1) You order on line from your home.
2) I receive the order notification at my home and the money goes directly into my account.
3) I box up your order and make one trip to the post office to mail it.

Each post office trip involves travel time, gas, and almost always time waiting in line.

If you are running an on-line business the scenario could happen many times per week. Can you see why sellers (and most buyers) prefer PayPal or some type of on-line credit card transaction? Before I took Paypal, I had many, many request for it from customers who didn't want to deal with paper checks or money orders.

KB5ZSM

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2012, 03:42:41 PM »

Believe what you want but don't come crying to me when someone steals your identity and you find out that you just bought a $400,000 home in Florida. I've seen it happen all too often while working at the courthouse.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2012, 04:46:05 PM »

If you deal in cash only, someone can always hit you over the head and steal your cash too  Grin
KG4NEL

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2012, 05:35:13 PM »

I think we should have a seller rating system sort of like the one ebay has.

You mean, broken and unreliable?  Tongue
WV9K

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2012, 09:49:02 PM »

No take PayPal, no deal.

Only protection I have...
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2012, 09:00:20 AM »

No take PayPal, no deal.

Only protection I have...

And that is what has gone wrong with the world today.  Granted, sometimes you just can't trust a fellow ham these days, but in time past, that license engendered trust--and with quite a few hams, still does.  If you need proof, just look at some of the listings on this very forum.
N2UGB

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2012, 10:42:09 AM »

POMO all the way here. Small PO and large POMO in your hands? Phone the PO, tell the counter that you have a large sum of money to collect. The PO will get the cash necessary for following day or two.

I'd rather throw the PO a buck or two for a purchase than a bankster.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2012, 08:51:00 AM »

...Phone the PO, tell the counter that you have a large sum of money to collect. The PO will get the cash necessary for following day or two....

Easier said than done.  Most PO phone numbers aren't listed.  The number that you get out of the phone book connects you to a central post office for informational purposes.  Sometimes you can get your local post office number, but most of the time you can't--unless you visit them.

Best thing is to visit them and verify the money order is good.  Then if they can't cash it, you can still deposit it in your bank and have the funds available in a day or two.
KB2WIG

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2012, 09:47:15 AM »

A quick find.

search  " post office phone number XXXXX "

XXXXX = your zip code.

it werks FB,

klc
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: