Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Postal Money Order only  (Read 30852 times)
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2012, 06:52:58 AM »

Hummm..  So it does.  I stand corrected.  Thanks for the info!
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2012, 03:51:11 AM »

Paypal is the only way to go.  Both the buyer and seller get protection.

Gene
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2012, 04:26:10 AM »

Paypal is the only way to go.  Both the buyer and seller get protection.

The main problem with that is when you sign the PayPal agreement, you give them blanket permission to access your bank account and do whatever thay want to do with it.  Someone files a complaint against you, you lose that money until PayPal finishes their 'mediation' process.  They can even dip into your account for a reason that THEY decide on.  

Protection?  Possibly.  But it would be a cold day in h*ll before I let them have blanket access to my bank account.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 04:29:55 AM by K1CJS » Logged
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2012, 05:20:35 AM »

The main problem with that is when you sign the PayPal agreement, you give them blanket permission to access your bank account and do whatever thay want to do with it.  Someone files a complaint against you, you lose that money until PayPal finishes their 'mediation' process.  They can even dip into your account for a reason that THEY decide on.  

Protection?  Possibly.  But it would be a cold day in h*ll before I let them have blanket access to my bank account.

If this was a problem Paypal would not last long because people would stop using it.  Paypal does not force you to use its services after all.  As long as you as the seller deal honestly with your buyers, you are not going to have to worry about "holds" on your account.  You are obviously so biased against Paypal you phrase it as "you lose that money" which is not true and should give everyone a view into your motivations.

Gene
N0MKC

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2012, 02:02:57 PM »

Ditto!!!

My son got hit by PP that way - sold something through eBay, the buyer tried to get it for free by filing a complaint with PP - they froze his account, were completely non-responsive to all attempts to find out what was going on, and only restored his money after receiving a letter from his lawyer.  Took almost three months to get it resolved.

For a real challenge, try to find a phone number where you can call & talk to a real, live Paypal employee who can tell you what's happening and can correct a problem...  They don't make it easy at all.

Paypal is not subject to any banking regulations, as they are not a bank - this gives them great leeway to do what they want without oversight or any sort of govt. controls.  Paypal looks out for themselves, first & foremost; any consumer protection will go right out the window if they decide it's in their best interest.  A quick search will turn up entire web sites dedicated to Paypal horror stories...

The ONLY way I would register with Paypal & give them unfettered access to a bank account would be to have a dedicated account for PP only, with a bare minimum of funds in it, and transfer any incoming monies out of it immediately to another account they do not have access to.
KB5ZSM

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2012, 12:51:21 AM »

"Paypal does not force you to use its services after all.  As long as you as the seller deal honestly with your buyers, you are not going to have to worry about "holds" on your account.  You are obviously so biased against Paypal you phrase it as "you lose that money" which is not true and should give everyone a view into your motivations.

Gene"

Gene, you just made our case with your remark "As long as you as the seller deal honestly with your buyers". Not all sellers (or buyers) are honest so how is PP such great a way to do transactions. Yes, I'm Biased. I've heard and seen too many horror stories about PP. I even quit using ebay because everyone seems to want paypal and I know ebay pushes (and I believe owns) PP. Sellers are only hurting themselves by limiting the forms of payment they except.

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2012, 04:25:07 AM »

If this was a problem Paypal would not last long because people would stop using it.  Paypal does not force you to use its services after all.  As long as you as the seller deal honestly with your buyers, you are not going to have to worry about "holds" on your account.  You are obviously so biased against Paypal you phrase it as "you lose that money" which is not true and should give everyone a view into your motivations.

It's true that PayPal doesn't force you to use its services, but e-bay forces you to use paypal and its services.

No, I'm not biased against PayPal, but I've had experiences with them that I'd sooner forget about.  For some reason (they said a software glitch) I was charged twice for an item on e-bay, and since I DO have a dedicated account for PayPal that had just enough to pay for the item in it, the item was not shipped--AND I was given bad feedback FOR NOT PAYING FOR THE ITEM!

Yes, I finally got it resolved, but not to my satisfaction, because e-bay would not remove the bad feedback---that was their fault (e-bay OWNS PayPal, if you didn't know) in the first place!  They said that their policy was not to modify or change feedback, that the following comments on the feedback would 'fix' the issue.

BTW, I still use PayPal (with the dedicated bank account) for e-bay purchases, but not as often as I used to.  And yes, I should have made that point (a dedicated account) in my original post.  What I meant to say is that it would be a cold day in h*ll before I gave them blanket access to my regular bank account.  
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 04:34:26 AM by K1CJS » Logged
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2012, 04:48:34 AM »

Just another observation.  Recently, I've seen advertisements around that you can save money by using PayPal--through your smartphone.  (The specific instance was 5 cents per gallon when buying gasoline.)  Now, from recent news stories, PayPal is worming its way into various sales outlets through tactics like this.  If that isn't subtly 'forcing' you to use PayPal, I don't know what is.

PayPal isn't governed by banking laws--as someone else has already pointed out.  It's just my thought, but I believe they should be.  There has to be some sort of consumer protection afforded to consumers against their 'mistakes' that costs consumers money, especially since that money goes into PayPal coffers--and they make money off of it by both interest--and simply by people who don't want to bother going through the time and the expense of fighting PayPal! 

How much do you want to wager, however, that when they are--if it does happen--that these 'offers' would dry up overnight--and that extra charges would find their way to consumers who do use PayPal, since PayPal would have their golden fountain cut off.  Food for thought.
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2012, 10:14:18 AM »

I have a special bank account just for money transfers. When the money arrives in the account I am notified. Then , I transfer the money to a second secure account. Only then do I ship the item to the customer.

I never have to leave the house. I am charged a $17 fees for the wire transfer but that is just the cost of doing business. I use this method for items over $400. It has served me well and I have never had any problems. Of course you have to have impeccable reputation for this to work.

I keep a list of references should someone want to know.

On another note, when  shipping items overseas with the US Postal system is there is no tacking once the item leaves our shores. It took three weeks for my Pro-III to reach Germany.
K0YHV

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2012, 12:11:12 PM »

[ Sellers are only hurting themselves by limiting the forms of payment they except.

Exactly why I started this thread.  You only hurt yourself by accepting only a Postal Money Order.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2012, 04:17:25 AM »

...You only hurt yourself by accepting only a Postal Money Order.

That depends on your point of view.  You can also look at it as you more fully protect yourself by using a postal money order as well.  Once that postal money order is cashed, there is no way that the buyer can claim non-delivery and get his money back--even though he got the item.  You can't say that about PayPal!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 04:22:03 AM by K1CJS » Logged
W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2012, 03:26:40 AM »

It's the SELLERS "CHOICE" of how they want the payment & the BUYER is NOT required too BUY from them if they do NOT agree with the payment method.Pretty SIMPLE choice & IT'S  not BRAIN SURGERY!  Shocked

Clayton
W4KVW
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2012, 05:46:45 AM »

Geez, now, isn't that obvious?   Roll Eyes
KA9MOT

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2012, 05:55:09 PM »

Correct! Recently a seller sold a rig for $1750, buyer payed via PayPal with his Visa card, kept the rig for a few months, broke the rig and sold it and then had his credit card company reverse the payment. Seller is out $1750, and has lost his rig........

Yes, PayPal sucks!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 05:57:14 PM by KA9MOT » Logged
KJ4AUQ

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2012, 01:40:23 PM »

Got ripped off via Postal Money Order to the tune of $250 for a SM220 with Panadapter.  Sent money order, never got goods. Guy cashed money order.  Called Postal Inspector got reply "prove he did not mail it to you" and "do you have a written contract" and "investigation of anything under $5,000 is waste of taxpayer money".  So much for your feeling scamming somone with a PMO will bring the fraud police after you.  I always pay via PayPal.  It provides the seller and buyer with some protection and they don't have a $5,000 ceiling.  Any add that says PMO only, I ignore.  I wish eham would put a sortable check block on adds that indicates PayPal accepted and I could sort by PayPal only.

73's
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: