Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yaesu FT8800 install  (Read 2452 times)
N8BBB

Ignore
« on: June 20, 2012, 11:20:04 AM »

I have a 2010 Chrysler Town and Country. I want to install the radio base in the rear. There is a power supply outlet near the middle row of seats that I will try to tap into for power. What is a good route for the the remote head wire and remote speaker wire from the base unit in the rear to the drivers side dashboard  area? I looked at the trough at the sliding door below the sill and am worried the wires may interfear with the operating "chain" for the slider and possibly cut the wire or get tangled in the "chain".
Any ideas. Thanks
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 11:54:30 AM »

I would suggest that here (as in any car) that you choose a side to come up. This way you can get under side of carpet. You should maybe try drivers side as you should be able to pull up door sill molding to get under edge of carpet and up under dash and this would avoid power door track.

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
N8BBB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 12:12:44 PM »

Ok thanks, I had not thought of that.
Bill
kc8uqv
N0FPE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 01:19:42 PM »

You want to make sure the wire running to your "AUX" power outlet is heavy enough to carry the current that the radio draws on high power without heating OR major voltage drop. anything less than #12 wire is just not heavy enough. Yes I know its EASY to use the outlet but the best would be a run of red/black #12 or #10 wire run all the way to the battery. But hams never seem to look at the correct ways to run power in cars. Just the easiest. I am guilty of this myself, but not in years after I saw what the voltage drop did to my power output.
I shudder everytime I see or hear the words"Running off the lighter plug"  LOL!!!
Dan/NØFPE
N0FPE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 01:23:21 PM »

You might also check out KØBG's website. lots of good infor there on mobile installation and operations!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: