Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: antennas and wifi systems  (Read 2464 times)
KF7TGS

Ignore
« on: June 21, 2012, 03:10:36 PM »

I live in a mobile home park and want to put up a vertical antenna, but the manager is concerned that any broadcast will interfere with the park wifi system.  I would like to put up a spider beam, but that will be to elaborate for the area.  Does anyone know if the rfi will interfere with wifi signals.  I don't plan on running any power other than what the radio will put out (kenwood ts-590s).  Thanks for any information

73's
Gary
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 04:12:53 PM »

Unless your radio is putting out spurious emissions in the 2.4 or 5.5 GHz range,
the transmitter itself shouldn't cause problems.

What may be a problem, however, is if the WiFi system receivers are sensitive to
overload from your transmitter even when it is operating perfectly legally.  You can't
know that until you try it and see.  And each WiFi receiver will be different:  all the
ones around you might be fine, but one 4 houses away has a problem due to poor
design.  However, since WiFi antennas are generally quite small, the amount of HF
signal picked up on one should be quite small, and any interference would more likely
be due to RF picked up on network or power wires to the computer or wireless router
rather than direct interference to the receiver.
KF7TGS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 05:56:48 PM »

Thanks for the nice reply..I'm going to check it and see if it does bother it.  If it does, then back to the drawing board.

Gary
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 06:13:41 PM »

How it "could" effect it is RFI could get into the hardwired side that feed access points.  Point is while the frequency that WiFi can operate at is immune to HF energy, the Ethernet and power supply side of it is not. Hard to say for sure without seeing design of their network and your proximity to a node and its wiring.

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 10:54:47 PM »

Hi Gary,

As others have said, you should be fine on the microwave wifi side of things, but any issues will be with ethernet or data cables.
I had just such problems (stalling/slowing down the internet when transmitting).
My solution, apart from dropping power, which was not always effective, was to switch from the vertical to a horizontal beam type antenna.
The vertical will generally give an omnidirectional low takeoff angle RF field, perfect for getting into appliances.
The spiderbeam/hexbeam is actually a good idea, since it will probably be at a higher takeoff angle, and be horizontally polarised.
A dipole will be good too, if as I understand it, you are not able to put up a beam.

Unfortunately, each qth is unique, and there is no cookie cutter answer, but I am sure you can find an acceptable compromise to all parties.

Good luck and 73 - Rob

KQ6Q

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 10:38:23 AM »

I live in a mobilehome park, and have had no issues with RFI to anything. My nearest neighbor says his TV with rabbit ears works best when its at the end of his house closest to my antennas.
You do need to consider wind conditions and how sturdy a mast or tower you'll put a spider beam or any other beam on. The wind area and the weight of the antennas on the mast, as well as the mass of the rotator, and how far above the highest support bracket (most likely on a mobile home) or guy wire attach point, the antennas and rotator are, will be a big factor.
Does your mobilehome have a shingle roof or a metal roof ?
KF7TGS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 07:45:41 AM »

My mobile home is a shingle roof to answer the question.  I would really like to go with a spider beam, but restrictions in available space is the problem.  I'm looking at the cushcraft r-8, which covers most bands that I plan to talk on.  I plan on being a qrp station for the most part, just to stay out of trouble.  I really appreciate all of the answers and great information that everyone provided.  Hope to talk on the air soon.

gary
LA9XSA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2012, 12:34:30 PM »

Even if it turns out that one of the access points is affected by your transmission, winding the DC power cord on a couple of ferrite beads, replacing the power supply, or plugging it into a different outlet, could cure the problem. Check the RFI/EMI forum for more information.
W2RSA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 05:57:40 AM »

My summer home (lol) is at a campground in NW N.J. I have a 66' long wire run vertical up a tree connected to a matching system with the usual homemade ugly balun allowing me to operate 80 - 6 meters and no issues have been found throughout the campground or neighboring trailers, wifi and rfi not an issue. Proper set up of the station and good grounding of course.If your set up properly and issues are discovered contact the wifi provider to analyze their set up.
KF7TGS

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 12:26:02 PM »

I would like to thank everyone for the suggestions and information on this subject.  I have decided to start with a G5RV dipole, which would allow me to keep the antenna inside my lot lines and it is also a very cheap antenna to start with.  If there is any problems with the system, then I have not lost any great money.  I also think the g5rv is a good system and will be able to keep it discreet from the neighbors even though I have permission from the park owner.

Gary
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: