Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yeasu FT-857d - how to turn off internal keyer??  (Read 8874 times)
K6MMS

Ignore
« on: June 21, 2012, 09:04:37 PM »

Hello all,

So I have a Vibroplex bug, and I'm trying to get my 857d to accept it. I do not see anyway to turn off the internal keyer and/or set this thing up to allow me to run a straight key. I've been all through the manual but no dice. There are all kinds of options to control the keyer, but no way to turn it off.

Any suggestions?
K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 09:24:30 PM »

your bug is essentially a straight key. It MUST be easy to hook a straight key up to that rig!

Page 17 of the online manual says how to do it, does this not work for youi?

paul
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 09:37:07 PM by K3STX » Logged
PA0BLAH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 10:21:35 PM »

http://www.yaesu.co.uk/files/FT-857D_Operating%20Manual.pdf

page 52
STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 11:14:38 PM »

Also, remember you must use a 3 way 3.5mm jack (stereo type - barrel, ring, tip), not a 3.5mm "mono" type.
The ring (centre conductor on the barrel) is not used in key/bug mode - it must be present, but disconnected.
Wire the bug to the barrel (earth), and tip only - leave the centre ring connector floating.

If you use a mono type of 3.5mm plug, the FT857/FT897 gets confused.
It is in the manual, but just a reminder.

Been there - done that.

73 - Rob

« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 11:17:10 PM by STAYVERTICAL » Logged
K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 06:44:32 AM »

What a poorly written manual; the picture and the text on page 17 do not match.

paul
K6MMS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 08:39:40 AM »

Thanks to all who added CONSTRUCTIVE information.

@K3STX = Page 17 shows (unclearly) how to wire a straight key. (why on Earth would they depict a mono plug, when just below it they add a note stating that you MUST use a stereo plug??)  But that isn't my problem. I have the key wired correctly, it's just that there is no simple "OFF" function for the built in electronic keyer, at least that I can see.

Page 52 / 53 deals with how to work with a key "off-line", but as far as I can tell does not indicate how to disable the keyer and go "live" with a straight key.

Am I missing something? Is there some software command menu that simply shuts the keyer off? No matter what I try, it still wants to adjust the WPM for me instead of letting me go direct with my key.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 08:44:16 AM by K6MMS » Logged
K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2012, 09:33:55 AM »

are you sure your plug is good? Sounds like an internal short?

p
K6MMS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2012, 09:52:08 AM »

Nope. I built one myself, then I tried a ready made cord from a Bencher. Tried all three combination of the wires. It just seems that the electronic keyer is still trying to control things, and the manual has no obvious "keyer off" feature.
PA0BLAH

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2012, 10:10:42 AM »

Nope. I built one myself, then I tried a ready made cord from a Bencher. Tried all three combination of the wires. It just seems that the electronic keyer is still trying to control things, and the manual has no obvious "keyer off" feature.

Where the hell - K6MMS- are the governments that are suppressing non abusive opinions, not in the US everyone supposes? Let it be the opinions of citizens.

With 3 wires there are no 3 ways to solder them on 3 contacts but 6 ways. Before soldering just try to use the wires as a straight key,

Can't harm you, because they are 5 volt open and closed 1 mA on the leads.
When OK you can be proud because you fixed your key with help from all over the world.

Pity there is not a kit available for connecting your straight key to your tranceiver, that should solve all problems at once.

the manual says:
Press the [FUNC] key momentarily, then rotate the SELECT
knob, as needed, until Multi Function Row “j” [SPOT, BK, KYR]
appears on the display.
4. Press the [C](KYR) key to activate the Electronic Keyer. The
“” icon will appear at the left side of the “KYR” indication.
Closing the contacts on your keyer paddle will now cause CW dots and/or dashes to be
generated.

So you must not ACTIVATE the C but DEACTIVATE it by pressing till it DISappears.
And don't forget to wire the key on the tip and body of a STEREO plug, as described op page 17.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 10:42:45 AM by PA0BLAH » Logged
KB7QOA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2012, 10:55:48 AM »

To add to what PA0BLAH said, on row J with the keyer enabled there will be a triangle next to KYR if it is enabled.  If there is no triangle next to it, it is in straight key mode.

When I have paddles connected to mine, sometimes I'll go turn the keyer off then hold down the <dah> paddle (if I remember right, I just do it out of habit) to generate a continuous carrier for tuning.  No need to unplug the paddles and attach a straight key just for a quick adjustment.

The 857 is a nice rig, but it does take a bit of time to learn where everything is at in the menu, and like just discussed sometimes the manual is misleading on some features.  I highly recommend the Nifty guide for this radio.  I think it was about $15, but the amount of time it has saved me when I was first learning to use it was worth every penny.  Even now I try to go to it before checking the manual if I need guidance on a feature I don't use often.

73 de KB7QOA
Jeremy
K6MMS

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2012, 11:05:27 AM »

Well thanks, (I think). I must be mis-interpreting some side comments and have decided to just let them go. This is a fun hobby and I will do all that I can to keep it enjoyable.

My point is, the problem isn't in the wiring of the key. That's parts easy. Yes of course I understand that there are more than three ways to connect three wires, but it was an over site on my part as I was writing this on my phone. (I'll stop making mistakes when everyone else does)

BTW - there is a kit to easily connect a bug to a modern radio, it's just that this is such a simple project I decided not to spend the $20 on what amounts to a stereo plug and some wires.

The POINT of my original question was that I am having trouble getting my RADIO to understand that I am not connecting a PADDLE, but rather a STRAIGHT key. No matter how I connect it, it still behaves as if there is a paddle there and it is trying to control the dits and dahs, giving them calculated lengths on it's own. This is what is confusing and what I am trying to turn off.
K6MMS

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2012, 11:09:35 AM »

@KB7QOA = THAT is what I am looking for! I was not able to parse that info out of the operating manual, but your explanation seems to be in plain English. I will try this as soon as I get back to the rig. Thanks!

I just went back though the manual (page 17, pages 52~53) and there is no mention of that trick. Call me crazy, but wouldn't you think that might be an important addition to a users guide? Sheeesh!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 11:14:45 AM by K6MMS » Logged
KB5JOF

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2012, 05:00:53 AM »

There is an explanation of all the menue settings in the back part of the manuel.  Read that and a lot of your questions will be answered.  I too found the operating section a little hard to understand.  Good DX and 73's to ya.

KB5YOA  Joe
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2012, 05:46:19 AM »

Pushing the C button in row J of the menu activates and deactivates the keyer. With it deactivated you should be in straight key mode. Note:you only press this button for a moment(not more than 1 second)to do this. If it`s off the triangle icon to the left of KYR will disappear.
K6MMS

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2012, 10:44:19 AM »

Thanks everyone. Got it figured out thanks to your input. I LOVE Yeasu equipment, and I think that their manuals are some of the best, but they are still far from perfect.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: