Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: YAESU ROTATOR MYSTERY  (Read 5843 times)
KT4XP

Ignore
« on: June 22, 2012, 09:35:26 AM »

I have been using a Yaesu G-450A at 38 feet rotating a 2El tribander (10,15,20m) for years without any problems.After a few months of inactivity something strange is happening.The dial indicator needle does not move as smoothly as it use to.The rotator still rotates the full 360 deg. plus another 90 deg. of overlap, but now when the rotator travels 360 deg.(0 north back to 0 north), the needle on the controller box only moves from 0 north to 180 South.

I tried adjusting the needle adjustment pot on the controller, I gained another 90 degrees of needle movement but it is not linear.every 5 degrees movement on the controller is approx. 10 deg. on the rotator.I have checked the continuity of the rotator cable, and looked inside the controll box for any obvious signs of component damage without any success.The rotator has a slight bearing noise, but when I put a load on it with my hand it goes away (if that means anything).

I am considering putting it back into service because I can just relabel the controller dial to reflect the changes, but if this thing is going to completely fail in a month I might as well send it into Yaesu for repair.

Any help in this matter would be appreciated.TNX and 73, Peter KT4XP

NJ3U

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 11:05:53 AM »

Since the motor works and the remote readout is the only issue the problem is most likely the remote sensing potentiometer.  I suspect it is not making contact in a portion of its travel from a bit of oxidation or a poor connection.

To see the inside of a similar model Yaesu Rotator check out my photo page.  I rebuilt one and it shows the location of the pot.

http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f190/dad250/Mosley%20Beam%20Antenna%20Project/?albumview=slideshow

Another possibility could be in the local shack control box itself, there is a small motor inside that drives the needle.  check it out for proper operations.

This test may help you to isolate the problem to inside unit or the pot in the rotator.

If you disconnect / unplug the control line from the back of the box and power the unit up the needle swings around in an effort to sense the now mission pot in side the rotator.  Perhaps this will free the needle or at least let you see if it will do more of the 365 rotation then what you are seeing when connected. 

72 NJ3U (past KC2UML) Rory
KT4XP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 10:28:26 AM »

Thanks Rory

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.It took me a little time to get everything
ready to do indoor testing.The Rotator seems to run at a constant speed ,its the control
box needle that fluctuates in speed.Looking inside the control unit while running the rotator
I can see the motor shaft speed fluctuate, after the needle passes 180 degrees on the dial face.
If the dial motor is at fault why would it run fine for the first 180 degrees.I kinda think it could be
a position pot,but the one in the rotator or the one in the control box?

thanks for the reply and the pictures , 73 Peter KT4XP
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 01:56:09 PM »

AFTER the March 2011 earthquake and tsunami in Japan some Yaesu suppliers and facilities were damaged or lost.  Yaesu moved some production to China.  This has caused delays for some parts -- you have seen the substantial price increases due to these unfortunate events (and loss of life).

KB5WIA needed a new AC motor for his Yaesu rotator.

A price quote for motor repair (rewinding) from a company in Los Angeles came to $365 -- about 3X what the motor costs new from Yaesu Japan.
Replacement motors were unavailable at Yaesu Parts at that time (March 2012) due to supply issues from Yaesu Japan (subcontractors in Japan or China).
SO the logical option was to buy the necessary wire and DIY the repairs (NOT every USA radio amateur has the Time, Skills, or Patience for this work).

Rewinding the Yaesu motors -- Azimuth or Elevation ... Use the same 24 VAC motor !!

KB5WIA - Yaesu motor rewinding with Step-By-Step photographs.
http://kb5wia.blogspot.com/
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 02:06:30 PM by W9GB » Logged
KT4XP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 07:08:39 PM »

I talked to a very helpful Technician at Yaesu today.He asked me to measure the position Pot in the Controller.At full stop CW it should measure 0 ohms (mine 343 ohms) and Full stop CCW it should be 500 ohms (mine 20 ohms) these resistances were measured between pins 2, 3 coming out of the Controll box.I jumpered from pin to pin from box to rotator and no change in performance,so my cable was good.So we think it's the position pot in the controller.So I called him back and asked him I asked him if I could order the position pot and he told me the unit is not user serviceable HUH? ???After all that I have to send it in anyway.
HG5AZR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 12:08:27 PM »

Hi!

Did you find where was a  problem?In rotator or in controller?Any suggestion?What can I measure in controller with multimeter if ccw or in cw position?Pin number?

I have same problem with Yaesu G-1000 rotator.

Thanks
               Zoli
W4RS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2012, 04:01:47 PM »

he is another tip. after years of use, its not uncommon for the connections to need to be resolded in the contrtol box. my 100 rotor acted up sent in, resolder! worked fine then.
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2012, 05:25:18 PM »

HG5AZR & KT4XP

Yaesu G-1000DXA Azimuth Rotor
Repair Notes and Photos by WF0GM
http://wf0gm.fpage.com/Files/YaesuRotorRepair.pdf

Greg Marx, WF0GM made this repair in January of 2012 to his Yaesu G-1000DXA rotor.
--
WF0GM called Yaesu USA Technical Support (8am to 5pm PST) at 1-714-827-7600.
The part number listed in the manual for the 500 ohm pot was Q9000420.
BUT when he asked for the part, they gave him a substitute number: S8101678.

He also ordered a new pilot lamp for the controller.
In the manual this was part number Q1000068 , BUT this also had a substitute number: S8101959.
==
Position Pot, RA25Y20S-B501 is a common part (in Japan), RS Components #489-7959
25 mm, Single Turn wire wound, 500 ohm, 1.2 Watt
Tokyo Cosmos Electric Co. Ltd. is the mfg. of the original OEM part.
http://jp.rs-online.com/web/p/potentiometers/4897959/
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 05:49:13 PM by W9GB » Logged
KC4MOP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2012, 02:48:50 PM »

Would Norm's rotor service be any help for the Yaesu problem??

http://www.rotorservice.com/

Might be worth a try .
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2012, 09:11:28 PM »

Quote from: KC4MOP
Would Norm's rotor service be any help for the Yaesu problem??
http://www.rotorservice.com/
Might be worth a try .
Please DO NOT bother Norm's Rotor Service with questions about Yaesu/KenPro rotators.
Norm's Rotor Service does not  have parts for Yaesu, Daiwa, Radio Shack, Channel Master or other foreign made rotors.  
Parts for the foreign-made units are simply not readily available in this country (USA).

http://www.rotorservice.com/prod2%20parts.htm
They do tire of answering these questions -- they service USA mfg. rotators.

1.  NONE of the parts (motors, pots, gears, etc.) for the Yaesu/KenPro rotators are mfg. in North America.
NO PARTS -- NO SERVICE.

2.  ALL of these part suppliers or sub-contractors are based in Japan, or after March 2011 earthquake/tsunami other East Asian countries.

3.  Even Yaesu USA Service (when repairing rotators) -- have to order parts from Japan and WAIT for parts.
===
NORM'S FAQ

I am thinking of purchasing a rotor, but don't know what kind to purchase. What suggestions can you offer?

We strongly favor the American brands.  
Before buying a rotor made outside the U.S. (Yaesu/KenPro, Daiwa, others), find out from the dealer or manufacturer what the availability of parts and service will be.  
Also talk to someone who owns one.  We constantly hear horror stories from people who buy foreign-made rotors and can't get either parts or service.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 09:20:58 PM by W9GB » Logged
NO9E

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2012, 02:45:33 AM »

If only the controller is malfunctioning and you have tons of money, consider StationMaster from Microham. It allows to set your antenna in a second via knob, in fraction of a second with a keypad, and via a computer. It can automate switching your antennas too with high degree of flexibility.

I decided to automate switching my antennas a while ago. Bought StationMaster. Then added interface to Yaesu 450. Quite simple.

Ignacy, NO9E
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: