Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone else lost interest in Field Day?  (Read 17744 times)
N8AUC

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2012, 08:35:13 PM »

Lose interest in Field Day? Ummm......no.

Field Day combines 2 of my favorite things: Camping out, and playing radio. It simply doesn't get any better than that in my book, especially when you add in the camaraderie and good food that are the hallmarks of our club's Field Day operation.

Besides (as I always say), if ham radio was a religion it would have 2 holy festivals: Dayton Hamvention, and Field Day. Services commence at Our Lady of the Dipole at 9AM on Saturday of the fourth full weekend in June, every year, at a location near you. Be there or be square! Your mileage may vary, batteries not included (bring your own). Party on, Garth!

73 de N8AUC
Eric
N4CR

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2012, 08:35:42 PM »

Besides (as I always say), if ham radio was a religion...

I'm thinking we file for tax exempt status.

And the steeple is going to be a lot taller on our church than most churches.

73 de N4CR, Phil

Never believe an atom. They make up everything.
G0VKT

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2012, 04:02:38 AM »

I was part of a club who won HF NFD five times in a row. We went from a multi-op open staion to having entries in the restricted and QRP sections as well. The work involved in getting it all together was immense. It got too competitive and stopped being fun so I stopped.

Now, after a bit of break from ham radio, my interest in the hobby has been rekindled. Would I contest again? Yes, but it would either be solo or part of a small group and just for fun.

We did have one memorable entry in CQ WW. In the U.K. we knew we were running out of G calls. So we made an attempt to get the first M call. I became the holder of M0AAA. We picked up the new licence at a special presentation the day before the event.

I couldn't believe the pile up we attracted! Most of the world had not heard of the new prefix and thought it something.
Imagine their disapointment when they found we were in a field in the south of England Grin
K7NSW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2012, 04:30:14 AM »

I fall in and outof love with Field Day regularly.  I usually go and have always been glad I did.  Here is another benefit of FD:  it is definitley worth disconnecting and reconnecting/reinstalling my equipment.  FD guaranties that once a year all of my stuff gets a good dusting and cleaning.  That alone justifies FD to me.
K0CBA

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2012, 10:10:48 PM »

I've never had any interest in field day (or any other contest) to lose.
AJ4CU

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2012, 12:59:02 PM »

I've never had any interest in field day (or any other contest) to lose.

As another poster said as well as this one, "Field day is NOT a Contest!" This is one of the reasons field day in this area is the pits, the president of one club wants to treat it as a contest and it's his way or no way, the other club , well you know where this is going, UGH....so I sit back and chase DX from the cool comfort of my own shack...
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2012, 05:12:34 AM »

"...It's his way or no way..."

How true that is--in all too many field day site setups!  That, more than anything else, drives other hams away.  Personally, I may yet go to another field day site, but I won't return to either of the two that I've participated with before this past field day.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 05:14:50 AM by K1CJS » Logged
KB9TMP

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2012, 01:23:00 PM »

For me Field Day lost it's magic after I upgraded from Tech and could get on HF any time I wanted to.

73 KB9TMP
N6OIL

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2012, 10:45:03 PM »

I have been thinking about taking the RV out to the mountains and working FD solo just running off my battery banks on the fifth wheel. Guess I'd better figure out how long I can operate on my bank of 4 6volt batteries. Also need figure out what category I should go under too. Perfect time to plan June will be here before we know it.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: