Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: VHF FM Contest This Weekend!!  (Read 2130 times)
ONAIR

Ignore
« on: January 19, 2013, 11:48:44 AM »

Just a note to remind everyone that the ARRL VHF FM contest is on THIS weekend.  Get out there and call "CQ contest", and try to rack up some new contacts and friends!  Anything that we can do to increase activity on VHF FM, and maybe even make a bunch of new rag chew ham buddies in our area, is a good thing!
WQCC256

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 03:28:37 PM »

I am a new licensee....  is it best to call CQ on the calling freq? 146.52 - CSQ?  I was on top of a mountain this afternoon with my 5 watt HT and called out but sure could not hear anything back.  I'll try again tomorrow if you could advise the best etiquette.  Thanks.

N2MRG
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 05:48:24 PM »

I am a new licensee....  is it best to call CQ on the calling freq? 146.52 - CSQ?  I was on top of a mountain this afternoon with my 5 watt HT and called out but sure could not hear anything back.  I'll try again tomorrow if you could advise the best etiquette.  Thanks.

N2MRG

146.52 is specifically prohibited from VHF contest operations.  The rules are all on line and easy to look up.

Try 146.55, 146.58 and other popular simplex frequencies.
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 09:57:27 PM »

It's a good practice to first just listen how others handle it. So you'll see the frequencies and can start answering calls. With your HT you might miss the SSB part anyway.
WQCC256

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 10:11:47 AM »

Thanks..

I definitely heard some CQ's but I don't think anyone heard me back.  I have some transmit audio issues (muffled audio on my HT and no external mic) that I'm working on fixing.

Other than that, are you supposed to know your grid location--is this one of the pieces of information you should be providing the contestant?
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 10:52:27 AM »

Thanks..

I definitely heard some CQ's but I don't think anyone heard me back.  I have some transmit audio issues (muffled audio on my HT and no external mic) that I'm working on fixing.

Other than that, are you supposed to know your grid location--is this one of the pieces of information you should be providing the contestant?
  Yep!  You can find your grid square online. Just do an internet search.
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 09:43:31 PM »

Usually on higher frequencies you provide your station location as you have to add distances to get your points. You find this in the contest rules. So knowing what your locator is would be necessary. I use : http://f6fvy.free.fr/qthLocator/
On HF often the R and S values are sufficient. The usual decay has resulted in just 59 as a standard.
WQCC256

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 12:36:44 PM »

Thanks, that is a useful link.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: