Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 6m propagation horrible in OK  (Read 6964 times)
K0YHV

Ignore
« on: June 23, 2012, 07:53:10 PM »

Anyone else experiencing terrible 6m propagation this summer.  Es (or the lack of it) has been very poor in Oklahoma this summer, although it looks like both coasts are getting good propagation.  I did work one new grid square in VE1, and did work Europe once (CU2JT) and HI3 this summer, but overall, the number of openings is way down.  What a depressing summer.

John AF5CC
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 08:03:39 PM »

Hey John,

How's things in OK beside poor 6M prop. I'm in SW Arkansas this week and plan on being up on Rich Mountain EM24 on 6M and 2M on Tuesday and Wednesday. Maybe the prop will let us hook up while I'm here.

Gene W5DQ
DM15
Temporarily in EM24

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
W3HKK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 06:46:18 PM »

not seen many good openings either up here in Ohio. 

More active sun=Less Es?

N6ORB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 08:47:50 PM »

"Anyone else experiencing terrible 6m propagation this summer. "

I've been thinking the same thing here in Northern California. The ARRL VHF contest was very good for me, especially on Sunday but, other than the contest, there hasn't been the kind of activity I've seen in June since I got on six meters in 2006. Last week was especially poor for me. The various grid expeditions have been a no-show here.

Another thing is that DXSherlock has had a lot of problems this month and I can't help but think that may have had an adverse effect on activity. Many operators check DXSherlock for activity before turning on the radio. If DXSherlock is down or fails to display the activity that's there, people are less likely to listen around for themselves.

I've read somewhere that sporadic E is most active during solar minimum and least active at solar maximum. Last year too didn't seem as good as the summers of 2006-2010. I'm sure that f2 propagation at previous solar maxima made up for any decrease in Sporadic E. This cycle, however, may not have a maximum high enough to produce any significant f2 propagation.

Anyway, let's hope conditions improve. I still need Vermont and Rhode Island.

Dave, N6ORB
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 05:56:21 PM »

Hey John,

How's things in OK beside poor 6M prop. I'm in SW Arkansas this week and plan on being up on Rich Mountain EM24 on 6M and 2M on Tuesday and Wednesday. Maybe the prop will let us hook up while I'm here.

Gene W5DQ
DM15
Temporarily in EM24

John,

Update on today's attempt up on Rich Mtn. 1700Z till 2230Z trying 2M and 6M. Three (3) QSOs; 2 on 2M and 1 on 6M. Not too good I'm afraid.

Gene W5DQ (in EM24)

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
K0YHV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 08:20:21 PM »

Hi Gene

Things in OK are extremely hot right now.  Made it to 110 today. Are you driving or flying back?  If driving, what is your route thru OK?  Maybe we could meet up somewhere.

John AF5CC
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 05:33:38 AM »

Hi Gene

Things in OK are extremely hot right now.  Made it to 110 today. Are you driving or flying back?  If driving, what is your route thru OK?  Maybe we could meet up somewhere.

John AF5CC

I'm driving. Brought my stepdaughter back to AR for the rest of the summer. I'll be coming thru OK early Friday morning and plan to be in OKC area around 10AM or so. I won't have long as my sked is to be home late Saturday night, a 2 day run to CA.

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
K0YHV

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 11:25:55 AM »

Will be working Friday at 10am so have a nice drive.  Hope you catch some mobile Es on 6m and had out the rare grids you are going thru

John AF5CC
N2SLO

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 07:36:57 PM »

Sad I was going to ask this question. This year has been the worst ever since I became active on 6M, which was 2003. I have my logs, and this year is a joke. I thought my antenna was broken. I moved it up to the top of the roof, from the lower level to get more height and weaker signal work. I check the spotter every day, I really don't see anything from FN30, although the FN31's, and FN42's are working Europe frequently. Not sure what the issue is.
K0YHV

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2012, 02:50:16 PM »

Sure is depressing, isn't it?  If next summer is like this one, guess I will have to take the 6m beam down and go back to HF only.

John AF5CC
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2012, 05:07:38 PM »

Will be working Friday at 10am so have a nice drive.  Hope you catch some mobile Es on 6m and had out the rare grids you are going thru

John AF5CC
I wish that had been the case. I was in a rental so no rig. I had a 2M HT and could not raise anyone on FM simplex. Guess no one monitors 146.52 anymore.

I'm back in the DRY heat today. Got in yesterday about 3:30PM local time. Put 3200 miles on the car and only three Q's for the entire trip. Talk about a wasted time hauling gear to AR Sad I've got to go back the first week of August to pick up my stepdaughter from my Mom's place. I haven't decided if I'll drive or fly. I'd like to get the final 2 yagis from my dad stuff there. He had a Mosley Classic 33 but the director and reflector middle sections only breakdown to 12 foot long. Also has what appears to be a Hygain of Cushcraft design but it's apart in a bundle so don't know what it is. I can't ship them or at at least UPS / Fedex won't take them and I'm not going by truck. If I drive the Expedition, I could get them but the price of gas would kill me!!

Hope 6M starts to do something soon. Getting bored listening to static. Smiley

You're not coming this way anytime soon with an empty luggage rack by chance Smiley

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
WB8VLC

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2012, 09:53:37 AM »

I guess it depends on what 6 meter mode your using and what type of antennas you have but even here 6 has been pretty good lately and even up here in the dead zone of 6 meters, the Pacific Northwest, it has been very good this season.

It has been open just about every day for the past month to the central and southwest US and to the east and Southeast coast during the June VHF contest and during field day to Hawaii and the carribean and central america and finally friday, June 29th a good strong opening into Europe into the Pacific znorthwest and europe has been coming in good into the east Coast and central US for over a week now just about every morning. 

In fact 6 has been open all across the US this season looking at the various DX clusters with multi hop E being the dominant mode of long distant contacts.

Using a modest stn of 50 watts for FM and a small dedicated horizontal FM tuned yagi, contacts on FM all across the midwest and southwest have occured on 50.3, 52.525 plus several repeaters every weekend for the past month.

For the SSB end of the band just 200 watts and a M-Squared 5 element yagi at 22 feet has brought contacts to Europe this past friday morning on 6 and numerous contacts across the entire US, canada, mexico, caribbean and central america for the past month on 6 SSB.

The trick is to be patient and use the right equipment, modest sized Horizontal antennas specifically tuned for both the SSB and FM portions of the band even if this means having 2 or more separate antennas for each end of the band.
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2012, 10:24:05 AM »

I guess it depends on what 6 meter mode your using and what type of antennas you have but even here 6 has been pretty good lately and even up here in the dead zone of 6 meters, the Pacific Northwest, it has been very good this season.

It has been open just about every day for the past month to the central and southwest US and to the east and Southeast coast during the June VHF contest and during field day to Hawaii and the carribean and central america and finally friday, June 29th a good strong opening into Europe into the Pacific znorthwest and europe has been coming in good into the east Coast and central US for over a week now just about every morning. 

In fact 6 has been open all across the US this season looking at the various DX clusters with multi hop E being the dominant mode of long distant contacts.

Using a modest stn of 50 watts for FM and a small dedicated horizontal FM tuned yagi, contacts on FM all across the midwest and southwest have occured on 50.3, 52.525 plus several repeaters every weekend for the past month.

For the SSB end of the band just 200 watts and a M-Squared 5 element yagi at 22 feet has brought contacts to Europe this past friday morning on 6 and numerous contacts across the entire US, canada, mexico, caribbean and central america for the past month on 6 SSB.

The trick is to be patient and use the right equipment, modest sized Horizontal antennas specifically tuned for both the SSB and FM portions of the band even if this means having 2 or more separate antennas for each end of the band.

Plenty patient here - have been on 6M for several years now. I have a well designed 6M station on CW, SSB and JT65 using a TS-2000/X, King Conversion SB221 1200W amp, M2 7 element 6M7JHV @ 40 ft and KU4AB loop at 30', both fed with 1/2" hardline. Have earned 6M VUCC and have nearly 400 grids confirmed. Just not too much heard lately. Saw your big EU opening while I was in Arkansas (gear was all packed ready to drive back to CA the next morning) but from local CA reports, nothing was heard this far south into EU or much anywhere else.

Enjoy it while it lasts and if you have too much, send some south to us. I could really use a few EU QSOs on 6M right about now.

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2012, 01:41:48 PM »

I will admit I do not have a great 6 meter setup. 3 elements at 35 feet and a FT-950.

I have worked a few stations on 6, mainly into FL and GA, and a few contacts to stations on the east coast of Canada. Most of those were back on June 11, 10 QSO's. On June 5 I had 4 QSO's. A few on June 1 and the 4th.

I constantly check the DX cluster and see spots, but mainly in Europe.

As I said, not the best antenna setup but it is what it is.

I see a total of 6 spots on the cluster at the present, 20:39 UTC but I am not copying any stations here.

Doesn't help that I sometimes have a S 2 noise level caused by some electronic crap in the neighbourhood.  Roll Eyes
W7AIT

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2012, 12:25:14 AM »

6 meters been just awful this year. 
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: