Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 6BTV antenna, trees and paint  (Read 2445 times)
KD5GR

Ignore
« on: June 23, 2012, 08:17:02 PM »

I happily live in a neighborhood with a HOA.  (I know, I'm in the minority.)  Antennas aren't prohibited, but we are limited to 10' above the roof peak.  We have a large Crepe Myrtle next to the back of our home and I'd like to put a Hustler 6BTV between it and our house.  I have two concerns.  While I know insulated wire antennas are placed in trees all the time, I don't know if tree branches touching the 6BYV would cause a problem.  I would also like to paint the antenna to make it less conspicuous, but I don't know if that would cause a problem.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chas.
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 09:00:27 PM »

I don't know if tree branches touching the 6BYV would cause a problem.

Trees aren't terribly conductive.  I've run bare wire dipoles right over the crowns of trees and never had an issue.

I would also like to paint the antenna to make it less conspicuous, but I don't know if that would cause a problem.

Keep the paint off the coils, and you'll be fine.  I've found matte black to blend into a lot of backgrounds but whatever color you think, or even camo, will help it disappear a lot better than shiny aluminum.  I use a green scotchbrite pad to scuff the surface, and use inexpensive spray enamel.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
K3VAT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 05:46:58 AM »

...  I have two concerns.  While I know insulated wire antennas are placed in trees all the time, I don't know if tree branches touching the 6BYV would cause a problem.  I would also like to paint the antenna to make it less conspicuous, but I don't know if that would cause a problem.  Thanks, Chas.

Charles,
I agree with Mark, you should be OK mounting the antenna amid the trees.  You can use paint as described or as an alternate use camouflage duct tape.  I've successfully covered the aluminum tubing with this stuff and it works great.

BTW, what are you planning for a ground radial field for this antenna?

GL, 73, Rich, K3VAT
KD8HMB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 01:27:17 PM »

Do you have the room to ground-mount the antenna rather than raising up above the house? Since you already have permission to have an antenna, why do you feel the need to hide it with camo paint among the tree branches?
Many people, myself included, have had good success with ground mounting the 6BTV, especially if you have the ability to put down a good radial field.
If you have enough room to mount it on the ground "in the clear" - that is, far enough away from the house and gargage, and neighboring houses, you should get good performance from it with radials.
K3VAT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 02:09:33 PM »

Do you have the room to ground-mount the antenna rather than raising up above the house? ...

Walt,
My read of this post is that he is not elevating the 6BTV vertical; he's just concealing it among the trees for cosmetic reasons.  Is that correct Charles?

73, Rich, K3VAT
KD5GR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 04:11:28 PM »

Do you have the room to ground-mount the antenna rather than raising up above the house? ...

Walt,
My read of this post is that he is not elevating the 6BTV vertical; he's just concealing it among the trees for cosmetic reasons.  Is that correct Charles?

73, Rich, K3VAT

Correct Rich.  I am going to ground mount the antenna with a supporting bracket to the eave of the house.  (I don't have the option to mount it away from the house, but I couldn't do that for other reasons anyway.)  I'm putting the antenna in the tree and painting it for cosmetic reasons at my wife's request.

It will be mounted at the corner of the house, so I'll have 270 degrees available for ground radials.  About 240 degrees will allow for straight radials from 50' to 100', while the remaining 30 degrees will require me to run radials straight for only about 20', then they will have to make two 90 turns around a patio before running the remainder of the length.

Thanks for all of your input folks, it's greatly appreciated.
Chas.
KD8NGE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 05:08:17 PM »

I'm using a sawed off stub big around as my thigh as an anchor point, but the smaller branches whip about violently enough to break a wire antenna. Learned that one the hard way.
Second the black spray paint to camo your wire. I'm using magnet wire and, unpainted, it looks like a red laser hanging out over my yard when the sun is at low angle.
K3VAT

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2012, 06:24:13 PM »

... It will be mounted at the corner of the house, so I'll have 270 degrees available for ground radials.  About 240 degrees will allow for straight radials from 50' to 100', while the remaining 30 degrees will require me to run radials straight for only about 20', then they will have to make two 90 turns around a patio before running the remainder of the length. Thanks for all of your input folks, it's greatly appreciated.
Chas. 

Chas.  OK.  Your planned radial field should work very well.  I would probably forget about making the 2nd 90 deg turn and just terminate the radial after the first turn.  You won't gain anything after.  Actually, purist argue that all radials should be straight without any turns whatsoever.  YMMV

GL, 73, Rich, K3VAT
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2012, 07:18:20 PM »

I don't know if tree branches touching the 6BYV would cause a problem.

Trees aren't terribly conductive.  I've run bare wire dipoles right over the crowns of trees and never had an issue.

I would also like to paint the antenna to make it less conspicuous, but I don't know if that would cause a problem.

Keep the paint off the coils, and you'll be fine.  I've found matte black to blend into a lot of backgrounds but whatever color you think, or even camo, will help it disappear a lot better than shiny aluminum.  I use a green scotchbrite pad to scuff the surface, and use inexpensive spray enamel.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM

So why off the coils? If the paint is not conductive, why not paint the coil covers. I have painted may coil covers with no ill effects.

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2012, 08:36:56 PM »

If the paint is not conductive, why not paint the coil covers. I have painted may coil covers with no ill effects.

The trap covers are OK to paint.  I wouldn't paint over any coils (like directly over wires wound on a form) until I verified the paint I was using would not affect them. 

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
W6OP

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2012, 11:39:26 AM »

I use Krylon Camouflage paint on all of my antennas with no problems. It never caused any problems with my 6BTV at all, painted traps and covers.

Pete W6OP
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2012, 12:26:04 PM »

If the paint is not conductive, why not paint the coil covers. I have painted may coil covers with no ill effects.

The trap covers are OK to paint.  I wouldn't paint over any coils (like directly over wires wound on a form) until I verified the paint I was using would not affect them. 

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM

I just found it confusing when it was stated the paint should not be on the coils. On a 6BTV, if the trap covers are removed so paint can get to the coils, the antenna isn't going to work properly anyway. The coil covers create part of the trap circuitry and are required to be in place to tune the antenna and with the plastic trap cover caps on paint can practically not reach the coils, except maybe with a tiny overspray thru the lower end of the coil covers where the covers are slit to fit the main antenna tubing.

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2012, 08:45:15 PM »

I just found it confusing when it was stated the paint should not be on the coils.

Being a forum where a topic may apply to many readers, use of the word "any" could apply to antennas other than the subject *BTV.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: