Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: T4X restoration  (Read 1886 times)
NY0Y

Ignore
« on: June 24, 2012, 07:31:36 PM »

One of its former owners smoked and getting the nicotine stains off defying efforts to clean.  Any suggestions?

Next the Plate Choke has been abused.  It has either been very hot and burned the enamel off the wire for several turns and there was a solder drip down it.  It seems the choice is replace if available or get new wire and rewind.  Suggestions?

NY0Y
Raleigh
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 10:33:04 PM »

The plate choke isn't a hyper-critical part and rewinding it should not be difficult.

If your junque box doesn't include old solenoids or deflection yokes you can salvage for the enameled wire, there should be a local shop that does alternator / electric motor rebuilding that can supply the wire. Might even agree to rewind the choke for a reasonable cost. (?)

Ain't that much to it.................  Tongue

Never change a password on a Friday                
AD4U

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 06:16:24 AM »

I have restored quite a few boat anchor radios - HAM and broadcast.  A few had nicotine but most were just plain filthy.  I often wonder why any HAM would let any radio get so dirty.

I have had success with the worst of the worst by removing the tubes, spraying the entire radio chassis and front panel with 409, Fantastic, Gunk, etc and swishing the cleaner around with a paint brush.  Rinse well with cool water.  Repeat if necessary.

When you have removed all the filth, place the radio in the hot summer sun for at least several days.  Turn the chassis daily to let the sun dry the top and bottom.

When you are sure all the moisture has been dried, squirt DeOxit on all switch contacts and pots and exercise them.  Ditto for all tube sockets immediately before reinserting the tubes.

Use a varic with a small value glass fuse (1A is what I use) and slowly bring the radio up around 10 VAC at a time until you reach rated voltage (120 VAC).  If there is a problem the fuse will blow.  I have never ruined an already ruined radio by using this method.

Your results may vary.

Dick AD4U
WB4SPT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 04:26:14 PM »

deja vu.   I had cigarette tar all inside my T4x.  It responded very well to krud kutter.  It did not harm the dial plastic either. I did remove the meter and the PTO first.  Everything else was fair game to the 5 minutes of kutter and then a garden hose.  An hour in the oven after a compressed air blast.  It's been on the air ever since. 
KG6YV

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 08:14:39 AM »

I use "SImple Green" to remove nicotine and other greasy residue.

Greg
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: